You are here

Mental health counseling needed

Lindsnh's picture
Forums: 

Sorry for such a long post. My partner and I have been dating for 2.5 years. Her step daughter who she has joint custody of shows many signs of being bipolar or possibly something else. I'm a teacher and have taught for 12 years, so I know kids behaviors pretty well. I finally convinced my partner to take her to the doc last summer b/c it was obvious to be she had adhd and she  was diagnosed with it. When my partner met her ex the child was 3 months old. The ex had done drugs and alcohol before she "knew" she was pregnant. I think the child has issues related to that. I think she probably needed to be developmentally delayed program for preschool. But she wasn't. She struggles in school, she is very immature. To the point where my 2nd grade students can be more mature than her and she is almost 10. She is very angry most of the time. Mental health problems run in her family ( umm hello!)The child's mother is bipolar and  narcissistic. The child still wets the bed every single night at age almost 10.  Again I had to convince my partner to go back to the doctor and we finally got a urologist appointment next week. 
Part of it is because the ex doesn't work and has no I insurance, so my partner and I have to pay for everything and with the child being on my partner's insurance it's still very expensive.

So what I am getting at is the child has issues. Luckily her behavior at school is fine. But I predict in a few years she is going to be uncontrollable. It takes so much nagging from me to get my partner to get the problems looked. It's like she is blind to it or I don't know what I'm taking about. Hmm well I work with kids all day so I have seen these issues in children! 
I think the child needs to see a therapist. It's so hard to bite my tounge but I'm going to try and disengage. She attends the school I work at and as long as she behaves there I guess that's all I should worry about. 

She has such a mean streak. She can be very rough with our dog who is getting older. My partner says " oh that's she how she is with the dog" wtf? So it's okay for a child that weighs 125 lbs to try and lay on top of our dog who weighs 70 lbs and has arthritis?

She also was jerking the dogs head around last night. When I said stop she said "I wasn't doing anything" and started crying. Then she staring sqeezing the dogs paws when she thought I wasn't looking.

She can be very sweet and kind at times don't get my wrong, but the child knows how to manipulate abs does it often. Yet my partner looks past it and tells me not to let it bother me. I'm trying to fix the issues now. 
Help me disengage!

Rags's picture

Smack her on the ass and put her to bed each and every time she abuses the dog.  When she cries, ask her how she feels.  Then ask her how she thinks the dog feels. Lather, rinse, repeat.  She will learn eventually.  Pavlov's dog learned that a bell meant food and the slobbering commenced.  This kid will learn that abusing the dog will result in a stinging butt and boring isolation.

This kid needs to learn that to continue her crappy behavioral choices is choosing to live her life with her nose in a corner for hours and hours on end and sitting in an isolated area writing thousands upon thousands of sentences that highlight her crappy behavioral choices.  All in perfect handwriting, perfect grammer, and with perfect spelling.

No one will likely ever get through to this kid. The best hope is that eventually she will mature to the point where her toxic choices are minimized enough that she is less of a curse on your life, the life of your partner and the lives of anyone else she infects with her presence.

I understand that she has developmental issues, she comes from a genepool rife with mental illness, and that she is a child.  She still should not be allowed to ruin the lives of anyone else.  including the dog.

IMHO of course.

Good luck,

Swim_Mom's picture

I think she sounds like a brat who should be kicked out of your home, but the number one issue here is how she treats the dog. Unacceptable and she should be severely punished for that. Never leave her alone with the dog. And I disagree about finding an elderly dog a new home - that is cruel - how can anyone abandon a dog like that? The POS SD needs to go not the dog. 

ldvilen's picture

Is she sociopathic?  

The most common sociopathic symptoms in children are as follows:  Stealing, Vandalism, Manipulation, Hyperactivity, Speech problems, Compulsive lying, Learning disorder, Cruelty to animals, Dislike and anger towards authority, Problems with retaining peer relationships, Consistent bedwetting after the age of five, and Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.  They can also be confidant, intelligent, charismatic and persuasive of others as well as themselves.

I wouldn't usually, especially in a blog, just whip out this question about a child, but the animal abuse is what gnaws at me.  And, it is a big red flag, along with the bedwetting.

A commonly asked question is “Can sociopathy in children be cured?” Although it can be quite difficult and may need a lot of time and patience, research shows that there are a number of effective treatments for this disorder. It’s often observed that parents of these kids tend to avoid dealing with sociopathy in their children, often dismissing the problem as mere rebellion. Parental support and constant adult supervision is very important and effective in avoiding such tendencies in children.  This is from: https://psychologenie.com/sociopathic-behavior-in-children

Dogmom1321's picture

I'm concerned about the constant lying from SD10. It's not just white lies.

One day SD seemed pretty upset after school. Asked her what was wrong and got a whole story about what happened at school with a new friend named "Jessica." She went into detail about how they sat together at lunch, Jessica's "mom" came to eat too, etc etc. Now they are no longer friends, yadyada. 

SD teacher contacted me and DH. Not only did she lie about what she was upset about, there was NO Jessica. SD got in trouble for back talking the teacher and got pulled into the hallway. REALLY?!

I understand that kids fib sometimes, but going the extra mile to make up entire PEOPLE at that age just blow my mind. Makes me think other mental issues are going on.