You are here

I’m about to have SD for an entire month…

Keyliming's picture
Forums: 

DH understands I want to disengage after SD was here last time (two weeks ago). I told him that he needed to talk to his work and figure out a way to move his hours around so that he can go pick her up and put her to bed instead of me having to do it.

He hasn't done that yet. He keeps saying "I'll talk to them" and even when he does things still don't change.

The other night BM called and cried to him saying he needed to step it up, that SD didn't even want to come over anymore because he doesn't spend time with her and that "she says she hangs out with Kelly more than you and you're her dad. She's there to see YOU." I was really glad she said that because I've been telling him that for a while now. He started crying and feeling guilty but told BM that he wouldn't be able to pick up SD until Sunday because I wasn't going to be picking her up on Friday nights anymore. When they got off the phone I felt bad for him and told him I'd pick up SD for him one last time so he could see her Friday night and not wait until Sunday. 

I picked up SD & told her we'd go surprise DH at work. I texted him and told him we were on the way and that I'd bring him dinner. I gave him a "Hey, we're 15 minutes away" warning. She had fallen asleep at this point so I told him to come to the car so I wouldn't have to wake her up and drag her inside (he works at an ice rink and it's cold and she was in shorts and a t-shirt). I park.

"Hey, we're here. Parked in front of the office."

5 minutes for by.

"Hello? I got your dinner and it's going to get cold."

Another 5 minutes goes by.

"What are you doing that takes this long? I gave you a warning we would be here soon and you confirmed you'd be ready."

Another 5 minutes goes by.

"I'm giving you another 10 minutes and then I'm taking her home and putting her to bed. She's exhausted but she was really excited to "surprise" you."

10 minutes goes by. 

I leave. As I get on the freeway he calls saying he was clearing off the ice and that it takes 30 minutes to do. I told him I was gone and that he wasted my time since I already didn't want to go get her. The only reason I went out of my way to his work was because he claimed he wanted to see her. So I get home and she wakes up sad because she wanted to see him. 

Today has been better but he still was absent minded when she spilled her cereal and didn't have the right shoes on (it's raining and muddy) and while I try to keep my mouth shut, it's hard. SD immediately goes "Well my mommy says..." or "My mommy let's me..." every time I ask her to do something. 

And now because of their custody agreement, I am going to have an entire month of her. Luckily I will be working and DH is responsible for finding activities for her to do, taking her to summer camp, getting her ready, etc. But because he STILL works evenings, I have to go pick her up from camp every evening and have her from 6-bedtime. 

I won't have an evening to myself for a month and I want to pull my hair out. I am going to have to deal with her annoying "I miss mommy" crying ass every night and have her eat dinner (she won't eat vegetables but wants dessert and I have to be the one to not let her get away with that shit because dad will be at work), get her bathed and dressed for bed and asleep at a decent hour for the next day.

I love my DH, but the more I have to be a step parent (and I have never wanted kids) the more I think we shouldn't have ended up together. It's not fair to him or to SD that I can't stand kids. He deserves a woman who is dying to be a mom and is good with kids. I am not that woman.

God help me.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

What would he do if you were not there? Whatever that is, he should do it even though you are there. You should not be responsible for his child several nights a week. He needs a new job or a different kind of visitation schedule.

I hate to ask - but are you sure he was at work the night you stopped by? Seems odd he couldn't at least answer you when you sent the text.

Keyliming's picture

I saw him inside the building so I know he was there. He was talking to his coworkers which is what made me even more mad because he was supposedly busy the whole time when he was just talking to friends. I tell him time and time again that he needs to deal with this as if I weren't here to help because his BM doesn't have any help (and she's actually single) so he needs to act as if he were a truly single parent with no help but his own.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Ok, now I'm mad for you! He purposely ignored your call when you were outside waiting so he could see his kid. Are you sure he is worth it?

hereiam's picture

I feel for you. I never wanted kids, either, so the last thing I wanted to do was take care of someone elses. Luckily, I didn't have the situation that you have. My DH stayed with EOWE in the summer, except for times that he would take off work and keep her extra days.

I don't think I could have handled picking her up and watching her every night for a month while he worked. Not my responsibility.

Like asked above, what if he weren't with you? What he do, then?

The_Upgrade's picture

He does NOT deserve a woman who is dying to be a mom and is good with kids. He does NOT deserve free childcare or a nanny service. His partner can be good with kids or not but that shouldn't be an issue because HE is the person that should have stepped up to parent the child he produced. 

Harry's picture

He must work out his visitation time wirh his DD.   Stop doing the picks up and babbysitying for DH.  Either he gets another job or he just see her on Sunday.  He off on Sunday? 
Ypu are not helping him. You are just making him feel better by takeing SD away from BM

failuretolaunch's picture

You are not available anymore. If he can't look after his own kid, he needs to get a nanny or the kid stays with the mum. Not your problem. I realise situations are more nuanced than this but at the end of the day why are YOU looking after his kid, you are not the mum, it's not your responsibility, his kid is his responsibility in every situation. That should be made clear. Are your finances tied together. He'll probably say he won't be able to work if you don't look after SK, tough, not you're problem.

I've ben happy to share duties in my relationship with skids up until this point, they are now 18+, I would not want to have another persons kid dumped on me unless there was  financial reward put into my bank account every month Smile