You are here

Book on crazy exes

Kes's picture
Forums: 

Just started reading this book: Say Goodbye to Crazy: How to Get Rid of His Crazy Ex and Restore Sanity to Your Life by Dr. Tara J. Palmatier, Paul Elam. I'm reading the Kindle version but it is also available as a conventional book.

I had a lot of "oh yes" moments when reading the descriptions of the various kinds of crazy. It also deals with going no contact and setting up strong boundaries etc. although I haven't got to that part of the book yet, and it is less relevant for me these days because NPD BM is no longer a huge issue in my life, thank God.

However, if you are just starting out on this road, then this book would be very helpful.

strugglingSM's picture

I just refer to the BM in my life as "She who will not be named" because she's like Voldemort to me. Even bringing myself to say her name feels awkward.

The BM in my life is a bully, who also loves to complain that people are bullying her. She called me "aggressive" after I moved to avoiding and ignoring her.

She's also convinced that she is the only one working to cooperate and co-parent, even though she regularly sends DH demanding emails to pay for activities he wasn't even aware SSs were participating. She is "keeping a list" of all of the things she's paid for that he's refused to pay for...she doesn't know that I, too, am keeping a list of all of her demands for money, including demands for things she decided the children needed or should be doing without any consultation with DH.

I found a therapist who understood the issues - she was the one who told me that BM seemed to be exhibiting "borderline tendencies" - but she told me that there wasn't much she could do to help me, because my reactions to BM's behavior were completely normal and that BM's behavior was not going to change. She said that the only thing I could do was to try to remove myself from the situation entirely...which she admitted would be difficult to do, because as a wife, I'm supposed to support my husband and he needed support in dealing with BM himself. She suggested he find a friend or family member who could provide a sympathetic ear.