You are here

tooooooooo much MIL for ss Vent

ec0517's picture
Forums: 

My ss4 goes to his grandma's house atleast 4 to 5 days atleast twice a month it used to be whenever he said he wanted nana. this summer since my kids were with their dads he went to nanas house every week for about 3 to 4 days and even some times my husband would go to my mil's house to pick him up and he said he didnt wanna come home yet and throw a fit and shed just let him stay longer and give in to him crying. and now a days they intentionally have him stay over her house for almost a week because they know if its shorter than 5 days or whatever how many days he asks for he throws a fit and doesnt want to come home. and on top of that she spoils him rotten obviously theres no boundaries there he eats whatever he wants whenever he wants doesnt take baths will stay in pjs for 3 days at a time throws tantrums and gets away with being disrespectful. Dont even get me started on when she comes over to my house ...thing is is that because bm is a bm when its convenient to her my mil raised ss from when he was a baby till 2 almost 3 after that i had him...so when shes over my house all of our rules goes out the window well pretty much my rules that apply to ss because nobody ever disciplined him EVER. Mil always says and makes it known that whatever rules i have in my house she doesnt do that in her house so there were tons of confusion...another thing about her comming over my house is that she barely does and the only reason why she wont come over my house is because she doesnt want ss to see her and want to go to her house and if ss wants to go my bs6 wants to go to especially on weekends and she only takes him because shes trying to prove a point that she doesnt wanna play the favorites card not because she honestly wants to. Also the 2 times that she has been to my house she stayed so late because ss didnt wanna let her go so she actually stayed with him in the room and climbed in his bed and waited until he slept which took like 2 3 hours ....ive tried to confront her about it the second time she took my bs6 because she was so flustered when she came back because their too much for her so i told her how i felt that just because ss4 cries for you everytime and so does bs6 you dont have to take them just put your foot down say no say your goodbyes and go home she then proceeded to tell me that i dont need to be having this conversation with her thats a conversation i need to have with his father and i told her i have many many times but nobody does anything about it they just continue to give in to ss so i told her i felt that i needed to tell her how i felt about the situation. she then proceeded to get emotional and started to cry and said i just made this day a horrible day and say this is not a conversation that shouldnt have happened today and just how i didnt need to discuss this infront of the kids and that i attacked her. i was just talking to her like an adult the kids had no idea what was going on until she started getting emotional. I see the way he is around her and to me its unacceptable constantly babied and everyone including her says that im ss's mommy and that he referr's me to mommy and his bm mommy stephanie like some play date or almost like an aunt so with that being said i will confront her like if hes my own i dont undertsand this mommy card everyone gives me but when its time that i act like his mommy everyones like *gasp* your not his real mom you shouldnt be talking about that and you have no say....i havent talked about it with her since and i havent sat down and appologized even tho i was telling her that i wasnt trying to make her cry or be mean i was just telling her how i felt...btw she is bipolar and is supposed to take meds but doesnt. but everytime i see her i get this vibe from her that she still thinks about that incident everytime she sees me and its just uncomfortable. end vent plz give me advice or maybe even say its part of the territory of being sm or something.

Aeron's picture

It is the territory of a SM with a totally spineless, lazy DH that sucks at being a parent. And it won't get better, it will get much much worse. Your DH doesn't want to tell his kid no, nana doesn't want to tell this kid no, you can't? tell the kid no.... He's 4. If he gets to do anything he wants because he throws a fit what do you think this is going to be like when he's 14, 17, 24?

And it sounds like your BS is wanting and getting to do things you aren't thrilled about because SS gets to? Yeah, that's not going to end well either.

So you have options.... You can try to get your H to see a marriage therapist/family therapist that might be able to smack some sense into him about how badly he's failing his son and you. Maybe a parenting class. You can hand in your mommy card and disengage from the kid - you tell me I have no say, I refuse the accept the position of "mother" that's all scut work and no authority. You can tell all of them to take a hike and find a man that doesn't want to leave all the work involving a kid He made to someone else....

Really it all depends on what you want, how willing the other people in your life are to work things out and how much your willing to put up with.

Standing in the Cold's picture

I am with you 110 percent on this ordeal. I met SS 5 years ago, he was 4. After his mother rejected him when he was 2, my MIL and DH raised him. MIL has always had limited rules and gives into SS's wishes. He's 9 now (almost 10), if he doesn't get his way, he throws a temper tantrum. I am not telling you how many times he's attempted to get violent with me - he now goes into his room and throws shoes at the wall. Yes, I believe he needs a counselor to help him - however his mother who decided when he was 7 she wanted him back pulled him from the counseling his father and I had gotten him because she got turned into CPS for her treatment of him because of whatever he told the counselor. The behavior just gets worse and worse. MIL tells me I am the reason he's not happy and I am too strict on him. Hello? I ask him to set the table or feed his OWN dog and he goes into a tantrum? That doesn't make sense. I have to engage DH to get him to do anything or be nice. I feel more like a glorified babysitter - for a long time I was the one who took SS to school, I took SS to events, I took SS to do whatever a mom does for their child. I was told by everyone I was more of a "mom" to him then his real mother, yet he made sure to always tell people who called me his mom that "She IS NOT my mother." I'd respond nicely and say I'm not his real mom, but I'm kind of like a mom. I didn't let it bother me, but it's funny that MIL now uses it all against me and when convenient. There are days she tells me I am his mom/parent and other days I get "you aren't his mom." It just goes into one ear and out the other. If she asks if he can sleep over at her house and I say no, she tells me I'm not his mom/parent to make that decision and goes to DH and asks him instead. If I say SS is a brat, she says I just don't know how to handle children. The SS can do no wrong - yet my son with DH (her other grandson) can't get away with anything. He's 2 and tantrums are bound to happen and if he has one she tells me I need to get control of him now or he's going to be a brat to handle. I always shake my head thinking pot or kettle?

ec0517's picture

absolutely i love it when my mil makes the excuse of his age to make everything that he does is ok because hes young....yes i do believe that kids especially from years 2 and up will have their moments but thats when you start being a parent and let them know that its not ok do things like...play with power tools or roll around in the coffee grinds you purposely spill on the floor or purposely smash every single egg you have in the carton....and jump off of furniture and hit kick punch other children older or even younger than they are....but when ss was 2 n my lil one was just starting to walk he almost punched my lil one in the face on purpose and i said uhhhmmm ss needs to be in a time out ...what does mil say? oh hes just 2 years old....then more n more i realized that hes just 2 with alot of things then it turned into well hes just 3 and now its oh well ya know hes only 4 years old...kid got away with murder ...i sound like a horrible person but sometimes i wish i can just take bm and smack her and be like can you just take care of your fucking kid already god...