You are here

Issues with my stepson's mother's boyfriend

Bjm125's picture
Forums: 

He's a very strange fellow. I like to think of myself as someone who can read people well, and though I've not spent much time with him, I always felt something funny coming off this guy. Me being the protective stepmom I am, I investigated. Come to find out, this guy has "magical weapons" and he actually believes they're magical. I've come to learn it's some sort of religion called paganism? My step son has come home telling me all these weird things the man is putting in his head. My husband and I are both pretty uncomfortable with it. What do we do?

Monchichi's picture

giggle

I'm sorry it's not funny but it is. Welcome to the world of weird step life. I feel you and our BM is the same. You are in for quite a treat.

giggle

Bjm125's picture

We have come to learn that me dealing with her is the best option. I've always been extremely nice and respectful, but for some reason his BM is terrified of me.. Her boyfriend seems terrified of my husband. BM from time to time still comments on how my husband left her.. but her and her magical pagan boyfriend live together? It's a damn mess lmao

Monchichi's picture

Paganism is a term that developed among the Christian community of southern Europe during late antiquity to describe religions other than their own, Judaism, or Islam, the three Abrahamic religions. There are pagan ceremonies which are a linked to a belief of nature/ the 4 elements?

To be pagan is to be non Christian and is not one specific religion. Maybe you're thinking of something else? There is also wiccan which is also technically not a religeon but is a spiritual belief system.

Wicca (English pronunciation: /ˈwɪkə/) is a modern pagan, witchcraft religion. It was developed in England during the first half of the 20th century and was introduced to the public in 1954 by Gerald Gardner, a retired British civil servant. Wicca draws upon a diverse set of ancient pagan and 20th century hermetic motifs for its theological structure and ritual practice. The word witch derives from Middle English wicche, Old English wicce (/ˈwɪttʃe/) (feminine) "witch" and wicca (/ˈwɪttʃɑ/) (masculine) "wizard".[1]

Edited to add this description:

Most expressions of Paganism are magical - which is to say, they promote the use of individual or communal ritual practices to effect personal and environmental change, particularly changes in consciousness. Rooted in pre-modern magical practices (where rituals were seen as creating direct physical change in the environment), Pagans often have a more sophisticated understanding of magic and ritual, following Dion Fortune's definition of "magic" as "the art of changing consciousness at will." Such ceremonially enacted changes in consciousness are believed to facilitate further changes in the practitioner's life circumstances and/or relationship with the gods.

Bjm125's picture

No, he's definitely pagan. He says he has been for quite some time, but he only recently made it known publicly.

Bjm125's picture

I'm not one to have much to say about other people's religious beliefs. To each their own, ya know? I just never thought someone I care for a great deal ( and is very impressionable) would be living part time with someone who practices magic spells.......

Monchichi's picture

Ohh well BM who believes herself to be wiccan/ pagan/ magical, loves to tell all and sundry she speaks to spirits. Usually after she has drunk an entire bottle of wine.

I do not have much to say about people's spiritual beliefs. I am very open minded about it. BM however, I am very close minded about Wink She's a nasty, cruel, disgrace of a female form. She has nothing pagan or wiccan about her. There is nothing natural or earthy about her. The only other wiccan person I know is a stunning woman who is very earthy and in tune with nature.

Bjm125's picture

See, the "earthy and in tune with nature" aspect seems beautiful... he doesn't talk about those things though. He speaks of his magical weapons and things like that.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

The US Military recognizes both Wicca and Paganism as more than weird hobbies. They are covered in the Military Chaplain's Handbook.

Willow2010's picture

Boy this must have hit a nerve huh LF?

OP...what is your/DH religion? Maybe DH should get child involved in his religion before SD gets child involved in his.

Daddy's wife's picture

Before the romans started with christianity, most people in Europe were pagan. A lot of the christian festivities have a lot of pagan ways, like eating easter eggs for easter and decorating the christmas tree.