You are here

I caught my boyfriend's 6-year-old stealing!

foxyelephant's picture
Forums: 

I need advice! My boyfriend and I have been together for 9 months (have been friends for 2 years) and he has a six-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son.

This past October my boyfriend lost his old job and got a new one with a different schedule that kind of conflicts with his custody schedule.

For backstory: His custody schedule is Thursday 7am to Sunday 8pm.

His old work schedule was Tuesday-Friday 8am-5pm so he had his father watch his kids on Thursday and Friday during his work time and he would watch them the rest of the time.

With his new schedule, he works Friday-Tuesday 7am-6:30pm (horrible schedule) so I agreed to watch his kids Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The kids and I get along great, we have fun and together we established rules for when they come over such as 'ask before you grab something' 'listen', 'sharing is caring' 'indoor voices' etc. Even though I have no kids of my own, I'm a preschool teacher so I am used to dealing with kids.

The little boy follows the rules easily and reacts well to time-out and consequences. It's the little girl I have issues with. She has a very veeery hard time following rules as simple as saying 'please and thank you'. She always expects a reward for good behavior and announces anytime she is behaving. This is hugely due to the fact that her grandfather spoils her to the max, she has no rules at his house, and minimum rules at her mother's.

Her attitude lately has been really sour, demanding things, and protesting when her brother gets something and she doesn't.

Last week while their dad was at work, I took them to Target to buy some cheap toys for the boy because he has none at my house (the girl has tons). The girl protested that it wasn't fair that she wasn't getting anything and that she was mad at her brother (she proceeded to push him and taunt him). I called her out and told her there would be consequences if she didn't stop. I explained how she had just gotten new toys from her grandpa last night (a mermaid doll and bath toys) while her brother had gotten none. The grandpa of the kids yells, cusses, severely punishes the boy while he spoils, praises, and continuously compliments the girl.

On our way out of Target, the girl started spinning around on the elevator. I told her to stop and when she did, something fell out of her pocket. She gasped with a guilty/shocked look on her face and the lady in the elevator with us said 'Uh oh! That's not good'. Realizing that what fell out of her pocket was a toy from the dollar section, I immediately grabbed her hand and scolded her in front of everyone.

I was in complete shock and didn't know how to react. I told her that I was going to tell both her mom and dad and that they were going to decide whether or not to 'call the cops'. I wanted to scare her a little bit without traumatizing her to make sure she understood the severity of her actions.

A couple of weeks ago the little girl told me that her uncle (who lives at the girl's house) told her that if something is out of its packaging at the store, you can take it home. Shocked, I asked her if her uncle took stuff from the store. She said that yes, he steals stuff all the time. I explained that stealing is not ok, that if you get caught stealing you will go to jail and I explained what jail is. She said she wouldn't steal because she doesn't want to go to jail where she won't see her mommy or daddy.

This is why I was in shock, because she completely understands that what she did was wrong.

When her dad found out, he was livid and decided that her punishment would be no Christmas. She will not get any toys from anyone and that he is going to donate most of her toys to charity. The little girl has literally the whole living room full of toys (thanks to her grandpa who buys her toys almost every other week).

I feel bad that her punishment has to be that severe but she doesn't react to anything else. My boyfriend doesn't believe in spanking but he yells, scolds her, takes away play time and tv time, but nothing works. She doesn't respect him, laughs at his face, and pretends to cry to make him feel bad.

My boyfriend has felt guilty in the past because of the divorce he went through and the split custody and all that so he did contribute to her spoiled behavior for a while. However he believes it has been long enough (2 years) for her to adjust to their new life and that this behavior and actions aren't because of that or because of me.

What can we do with her? Everyone I talk to says it's not my responsibility as she is not my daughter and I am not married to my boyfriend, but we practically live together and I see his kids more than he does at this moment.

The kids' mother smokes, drinks, parties, and partakes in drug/drug activities. Her brother steals, is openly gay (nothing wrong with that) but has intense PDA in front of the kids, and smokes & drinks in front of the kids. The grandma spanks them and yells at them. The little girl knows about sex, how babies are born, what weed smells like, that 'God isn't real', all thanks to her mom who openly talks to her about all of this. She is encouraged to partake in adult conversation and is praised when she questions her elders.

How do we help this little girl when her innocence is taken away at her mom's house? How do we teach her that all of that is wrong when multiple people are teaching her that it is right?

We can't go for full-custody without evidence (we tried), so how do we get evidence of the negative effect the mother and her family are having on my step-child?

What do we do?!!!

foxyelephant's picture

I was with her when it happened, her dad was at work so I didn't want to make a huge decision like that without his opinion/permission. Taking away Christmas because she is bought toys every other week by her grandpa, so we think it will impact her.

foxyelephant's picture

I appreciate your input and I see where you are coming from, I thought it was a harsh punishment at first too but thinking about it, I don't think it will impact her or affect her too much. She has a living room full of toys: a 5 foot dollhouse, a kitchen set, over 30 barbies, barbie cars, shopkins, stuffed animals, barbie clothes, elsa costumes, princess costumes, tutus, you name it-she probably has it. Her grandpa buys her toys every other week even when her father has asked him not to. So I feel like not getting Christmas at our place won't be a huge deal since she was just gonna get like 3 more 'big' toys and clothes from us. She did the crime, she has to do the time. She'll probably go back to getting new toys from her grandpa the week after Christmas anyway...

Snowflake's picture

Wow. Your boyfriend decided to procreate with that piece of awesome BM, and twice. Someone doesn't turn into a sex crazed druggy overnight, so he knew how she was. I could maybe see if it was a one night stand, and he was severely impaired and lacked judgment, but to have two kids with that is a choice.

Anyhow, your skids are her actual children, they don't have a choice in that, and neither do you. I would help your dh with the kids as long as he is aware that you are in charge, much like a babysitter or other adult, when they are left with you alone. I would also watch out that you don't begin resenting him and the kids, because you are doing a lot.

foxyelephant's picture

Haha thanks for rubbing it in! Yeah, he admits he messed up big time with her and he knows he upgraded x100000 with me Blum 3 He was going through a rough time when he was with her and they were 17 when they had the first one.

Thanks for your input! That's true, I have to be careful not to resent them. My boyfriend spoils me with love and attention to make sure I know that I am appreciated so I'm lucky in that sense.

furkidsforme's picture

I think the "taking away Christmas" is about as stupid as spanking a dog who pissed on the floor three hours after it happened. SHE'S SIX. She won't put two and two together. That's an adult thought pattern, not a child thought pattern.

Taking her back to the store and making her return the stolen item and apologize to the manager would have been the way to go.

So what happened to the stolen toy? Did she keep it?

iluvcheese's picture

When my SD stole from my DH & I, a total of $180, we made her take all her toys she bought with that money, toys she bought on her moms time back to the store and explain the them what happened. I called the store first and asked that they scare her and just take them back, no need to exchange, and they agreed. Then she had a choice in punishment. She could work along the side of the road, to make up 180.00, I figured out how many hours she'd be picking up trash, or no field trips and no trips from extracurricular activities, she had 3 trips coming up that would cost about 200.00. Equal punishment for the crime. She chose no trips, I knew she wouldn't want to work. Then we told her if we ever caught her stealing from anyone again we'd call the police, my friends a cop and she's willing to scare the poop out of her. We haven't had an issue since, although there have been calls back and forth about ugh oh where did SD get this, did she steal it from _. So far, there have been perfectly reasonable explanations. Create a punishment equal to the crime and yes at that age they know right from wrong, unless somethings off mentally.

iluvcheese's picture

Again.