You are here

How best to treat SD?

pixiebluebell's picture
Forums: 

Hi everyone. I'm writing for advice on how to treat SD4. SO & I have a 6-month old son. SD4's BM is very ill with cancer & so SD4 is living with us most of the time. She is an innocent girl but has so many negative habits - created by a combination of her mother never wanting her - she saw her even less when she was perfectly healthy; guilty-Daddy over-attention, an absolute lack of security and structure in her life since her parents split two years ago, and many questionable parenting decisions (in my humbleopinion). For example, she has been exposed to four languages since the day she was born - BM spoke Russian to her, BF Albanian, the two biological parents spoke German to each other, and she lives in an English-speaking country - and as such cannot speak any language competently.

She is very, very attached to her dad - so much that he and I never ever have a moment to ourselves - she is always present for every conversation - at her dad's side, literally, and he will not tell her to go and play, etc. Her bedtime is the same as ours, as he refuses to put her to bed earlier.
If you set her up with a game, crafts, etc, she will do it as long as you are there with her, but if you move into a different room she will follow you.
She had terribly annoying habits such as inappropriate, long staring at me when I'm speaking to her father -- and he gets angry at me if I ask her to stop staring. She also repeats, verbatim, everything I say when I'm talking to him - literally as we are speaking to each other - and ignores her dad's requests to stop. She copies my posture - if I have my arms crossed she mimics it, if I change position she does too.
She's also about twice the height of a typical four year old, and the image of her BM, whos not exactly blessed with good looks - and so I find it hard to see any kind of cuteness in her.

Her constant presence is draining for me - SO doesn't have the motivation to organise date nights, etc, and would be offended if I did - so that we have no time except after 11pm when she's not there. She's the first thing I see in the morning too, as she appears at our bedside.

My family & extended family have worked with children all their lives as teachers, and empathise with me in saying that she is a very strange and very annoying child - not due to any fault of her own, but the very questionable parenting she has received, the lack of a mother in her life, etc.

The problem is that my resentment at her constant presence regretfully causes me to have not infrequent outbursts of anger at my SO. I resent that he leaves me to look after our son so much when I need more help. I resent that we have no romance together. He is a fabulous man but can't take any advice on parenting, and turns on me if I ever express criticism of his parenting or of his daughter's habits. He brings our entire relationship into question, says we cannot connect, that I have no empathy.

He rightfully senses that no one wants his daughter around (in their hearts; this is not said, of course), and despairs at this, but is unwilling to take any constructive action to shape the situation in a better way. He tries to keep SD from her BM as he feels she is treated badly by her.

Meanwhile we have a beautiful little baby boy who is an absolute darling, and neglected by his dad.

I don't want to leave my SO; for our son's sake, because I love him, and also because I could never forgive myself for not trying harder.

I am trying so much on a daily basis to be as nice as possibld to S4 but I fail frequently.

Any advice on how to build a liking for this child would be really appreciated. SO responds well when I manage to show something resembling love for her. But it is such a huge challenge for me. And I can't fake it 24/7.

Acratopotes's picture

she's still very young hon, treat her with love and kindness..... but be firm, praise her when she's good and tell her she's hurting you when she's bad.

All children are evil till they mature... even babies

SugarSpice's picture

i am so sorry your son is not getting the love he deserves. your problem is complex. it deserves compassion but boundaries as well. you may feel sorry for your sd but she needs boundaries and she is acting out. this poor little girl may lose her mother but she needs boundaries and not pity.

the language and cultural issues compound the problem.

this is very common in step families. the second wife and her children get treated as an afterthought and given second best treatment. you are right that daddy guilt is what is operating here. i am happy you are not taking this as your fault.

your husband may not have the ability to see clearly as he is already neglecting his son.

i also recommend counseling but for your self. you know the problems is with your husband.

in the end it your well being and that of your son that matter. take care of your self.

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

The language thing is a blessing. I read an article about a family where the dad only speaks his native language with the kid and the mom only speaks English. It's a great way for them to be multilingual. For my daughter, I speak English, my husband and speaks German and my daughter's best friend speaks French.

2Bloved's picture

I see nothing wrong with her being exposed to multiple languages at her age. I am also trilingual, and am very proud of it. If she is not able to competently speak English competently, I am surprised she is able to repeat things that you say verbatim. What a mind a memory she must have!!! Maybe she is trying to learn from you?

Cameo's picture

Maybe her repetition of what you are saying and mimicking your body language is her way of learning the english language?
Maybe spending time teaching her or getting her a language tutor would allieviate this habit that is annoying you

Rags's picture

Depending on how BM's illness works out there may be a notable opportunity to normalize SD-4's behavior. Not that I would wish for her demise.

The language thing.... that is a great benefit if she an retain functional capability in all four languages as an adult.

still learning's picture

Is SD in preschool? This would be good for her language development and a break for you. Encourage SO to sign her up for school, classes, church camps...anything to get her out, talking w/other kids and socializing. I did this w/my own kids when I had a young small herd and needed relief.

As long as SD is of normal intelligence she'll develop language skills just fine. One of my sons best friends in grade school was from Japan and didn't speak a word of English when he first arrived. By the end of the school year he was proficent in English and one of the smarted kids in the class.

babyboymakes3's picture

To bond with my step daughters, I had to spend time with them alone, without DH around. Find an activity that you to can participate in together-I put my girls in ballet and all activities surrounding ballet was "our thing". I got to know them better one-on-one and a bond grew; Of course they can still be annoying, as all children are, but a connection is now there. 

Positives-soon your son and your SD will be able to play together, and you can send them BOTH to another room. I would also talk to DH about setting "adult time" and "kid time" rules. 

Disillusioned's picture

It's good you're not directing your anger at the child, as you say she's not responsible and really the issue is her father's parenting/and lack of it when it comes to his other child

Be loving, kind and supportive to your SD. Work with her. Maybe set small goals in your relationship-building with her and celebrate small successes when it comes to your relationship with her, improvement with her behaviour

If your DH feels you're attacking his first-born child or judging his parenting, yes he'll get defensive and turn on you

Tackle the big things, and pick your battles well