You are here

Fed up

stunned1's picture
Forums: 

Hello,
I am new to this site and thank God I've found other people who have to be going through the same things I am. I'm sorry to be lengthy but I must give you some background. 9 and a half years ago I met this wonderful guy who was seperated and had a 2 year old, precious little girl. My sons were 9 and 14 at the time and they got along well with my new boyfriend and his daughter. I am now married to this wonderful man who is a great father to his daughter and my boys. My boys are now grown (19 & 24) and his daughter is now 12. We moved in together about 3 months after meeting and got married 4 years later. 5 years into the marriage I am still madly in love with him. The reason he got divorced is because Bio mom cheated on him with her boss. She was a secretary in a local business. 9 years later she is married to the boss, lives in a mansion, owns multiple luxury vehicles (Porsche, Ferrari's, etc.) has been promoted to VP of the business and sends my step daughter to a very expensive college prep school in our area. My husband (Bio dad) has 50/50 legal custody and partial physical custody. He has overnight every Thursday night and every other weekend.
I have watched my husband tirelessly try to coparent with his ex-wife and nothing he does is EVER good enough. It's very frustrating to see the man you love try so hard only to be hammered on relentlessly by his ex. He tries to stand up to her but she just runs over him every time. It's actually amazing to see how manipulative she can be with him and their daughter. I feel really bad for him because this is not what he thought parenting was going to be like and it's hard on him emotionally. We are slowly watching his daughter learn to be as manipulative as her mother. This is the latest...
This weekend is not my husband's weekend with his daughter but he is supposed to have her overnight for Halloween on Saturday. Well, he got a text message from Bio mom asking him if he would please be understanding and give up his Halloween so she could take SD to see her uncle (Bio mom's brother) at a University he is attending with his wife in the Midwest. We live on the East Coast. My husband was not happy that bio mom had discussed this with SD before speaking to him about it because that sets him up to be the "bad guy" if he says SD can't go. However, he asked SD what she wanted to do (knowing she would say she wants to go because mom told her how much fun it would be and how bad uncle misses her.) Uncle has lived out of state and only seen this child a couple times a year for the last 5-6 years. Why everyone needs to readjust their schedules a week before Halloween didn't seem right to me but I had my lips buttoned.
Anyway, my wonderful husband wanted his daughter to be happy and I applaud him for that. He had only one condition...He didn't want Bio mom to take SD out of school Friday because SD has just started Middle School and was scheduled to give a speech with the other 6th graders that day. Granted it is a half day that begins with a Halloween parade, and if she was just missing the parade or some shortened classes he would have been okay with it. He wasn't okay with it because SD was scheduled to give a speech and be there to support her classmates when they gave theirs. He actually told Bio mom that he would agree to give up his Halloween holiday as long as she doesn't take SD out of school on Friday.
Why am I fed up? Because Bio mom tells him she has worked everything out with the school for SD to give her speech the following week. REALLY!!!! This woman's audacity knows no bounds. She actually told my husband he was being selfish. I don't really know why he has a Custody Agreement because he might as well wipe his ass with it. This isn't the first time she has taken SD out of school for convenience either. She has done it multiple times and hasn't even told him about it on at least 3 occasions. She undermindes him at every chance. How can you coparent with someone who completely disregards everything you say?

DarkStar's picture

Just say NO

NO is a complete sentence.

Follow the CO to a T and do NOT allow for such changes to be made. If I were to guess, if your DH wanted to change the schedule, BM would NEVER agree to it, so why should he?

stunned1's picture

We would love to be able to just say no. However, the agreement also says that both parents will consider the SD's wishes. Bio mom has thrown that in his face whenever it benefits her but won't let SD spend more time with dad when SD has told her directly that she wants more time with Dad. If my DH wants to change the schedule Bio mom usually says no. He has only asked to change schedule like twice when we had to be out of town for a wedding or something. He follows CO to a tee. Has never missed his time of custody or missed any child support payments EVER. It's sad.

stunned1's picture

I agree completely. I wasn't involved when the CO was drafted or I would have warned him. I actually used to work for a family law attorney who is also a mediator for our local court system and could have given him some good pointers. Bio Mom having a lot of money makes it very easy for her to make plans for SD that are fun. She does it frequently. We are hoping by showing SD love she will always want to have a relationship with us. It's just concerning because we just learned that she lied to cover for something her mom did that was completely against the CO. I try to put myself in my SD's position so I can be the best stepmom I can. I wouldn't want my parents fighting over me all the time. I truly love this child as my own so that is why I try to always put her feeling first and encourage my husband to do the same. I guess I'm just hoping that eventually SD will learn that her Bio mom is manipulative on her own. If Bio mom does to SD what she does to my husband, she will see it eventually because it's so obvious. There are times when both my husband and I wish we could be "meaner" in this situation but that's hard to do.

stunned1's picture

Yeah, his CO doesn't have anything in it about travel. In the future he plans to say no but it's a double edged sword. It's supposed to be about the kids. We didn't have anything special planned for Halloween other than the usual stuff and SD had already been told by Bio mom that they were planning a trip and she asked dad if she could go. In coparenting it seems like the parent who is flexible always gets screwed. I know life isn't fair but this is ridiculous.

stunned1's picture

I like the calendar idea because that would make it SD's responsibility and Bio dad wouldn't have to speak to Bio mom about it. We do have documentation that he isn't getting her on Halloween because her mother requested that she go away with her so I don't think I'll have to worry about Bio mom trying to use that again my husband in court. We have already been in court twice over these things and she only gets a slap on the wrist. However, she knows we document everything. Hubby is mad now so I don't think he'll be giving Bio mom anymore of his time for a very long time.

stunned1's picture

You are so right...it is driving me bonkers. Great advice. Thank you. I can only change my actions or reactions. I have to keep that in mind.

Willow2010's picture

i told them it was 100% dads call because the CO says he can choose any 2 days between Oct 30 and Nov 5th. If they made their opinions heard and he ignored it then its not my fault.
they are going to dads
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wow…you really set their dad up to be the bad guy here and you the angel huh.

I feel you really should have said … it is CO time so you will go and have fun. But now you have an angry teenager at her dads house probably making it miserable. You could have made this situation a lot better for your kids but you hate their dad more than you love the kids I suppose.

Andie91801's picture

Don't be because it will continue to get worst. My husband ex has done all kind sh*t like that for years...she pulled them out of school for a whole week because she got a good deal from disneyland or her clients gave her 10 tickets to see college footballs (who's in the right mind to give her 10 tickets) so basically she just took the kid out of school whenever she wanted without telling anyone. It was so bad that she had to appear in court because the kids missed too many school day. She taught them to lie and the latest thing is she called up to DH to complain Skids lie to her left n right...karma Smile Be there for you husband that's all you can do

A.