You are here

Does it get easier?

Megan Elizabeth's picture
Forums: 

I've been a step parent for 4 years now. ( technically only been married to him for 2 1/2.) My step daughter still hates me. It's mainly Bc I don't buy her expensive toys constantly and I don't let her talk to me disrespectful. So my question is does it get easier? Will she ever see what I do for her? This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

It depends on why she's acting that way. If he agrees w her outburst he will basically tell me to stop antagonizing her. If her outburst is uncalled for he'll just tell her to quit. He is very very non confrontational so he will not get in the middle of anything.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Yes and no, for me. SD18 and I get along just fine now. Before, she resented me because she thought DH should be single and devote his life to his children. However, after seeing BioMonster go through a LOT of men and DH and me having a wonderful relationship, she now realizes that having a SM is pretty okay.

PrinceSS15, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother animal. I USED to like him. In the past year, he has turned into a snotty, know-it-all arsehole teenager. As far as he is concerned, I have disengaged and will do absolutely nothing for him until he grows out of it. If he doesn't, not my problem.

Orange County Ca's picture

NO! and don't expect a Christmas card after they've grown either.

This past Mother's Day she went around and gave everyone in the room (her dad and grandpa included) one of her toys then came to me and said and you get nothing cz I don't want to. None of the adults said anything to her for her disrespect. Well I mean I did but no one else there. I'm very unsupported when it comes to her. I make her follow rules and have consequences for her actions. They feel they need to protect her cz I made her at age 9 sit on the couch for misbehavior for like a minute. All she has to do is start crying and she gets anything she wants.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

It does not get better. This summer I counted down the 100 days until school started again. In reality, I need to count down the next 5 years until SD19 gets the hell out of my house.

Then there's SD13 to deal with, but it's early yet. I can try to mold her into a better person than her older sister lol.

~ Moon

moved out's picture

Lived with widowed partner + 2 children (5+7) for 8 years. Last 2 years or so the oldest girl(now 15) started to avoid me eg. Not sitting next next to me, turning down offers of help, also ignoring me eg. making her dad a drink as soon as I had left the room, telling him about visiting friends or going for sleepovers, not including me in any conversations. When I talked to her about it she said she didn't realised she was doing it. Last year I became very ill and was in bed for almost a week with a high temperature. Neither girls came up once to see how I was. When I told my partner how disappointed and hurt I was he told me it was because I wasn't their mother. He has lied for them to me when money went missing and has never supported me disciplining them. He would stick his head in the sand and hope it would all go away. The fact is that I have moved out almost 12 months ago, I still see him and also the girls. The start all their sentences directed at him, the eldest can't even look me in the eye. Where have I gone wrong? I have 2 grown up sons who have never treated me so disrespectful as this 2 girls have. I feel a failure.

moved out's picture

Lived with widowed partner + 2 children (5+7) for 8 years. Last 2 years or so the oldest girl(now 15) started to avoid me eg. Not sitting next next to me, turning down offers of help, also ignoring me eg. making her dad a drink as soon as I had left the room, telling him about visiting friends or going for sleepovers, not including me in any conversations. When I talked to her about it she said she didn't realised she was doing it. Last year I became very ill and was in bed for almost a week with a high temperature. Neither girls came up once to see how I was. When I told my partner how disappointed and hurt I was he told me it was because I wasn't their mother. He has lied for them to me when money went missing and has never supported me disciplining them. He would stick his head in the sand and hope it would all go away. The fact is that I have moved out almost 12 months ago, I still see him and also the girls. The start all their sentences directed at him, the eldest can't even look me in the eye. Where have I gone wrong? I have 2 grown up sons who have never treated me so disrespectful as this 2 girls have. I feel a failure.

moved out's picture

After having 2 boys, I was actually looking forward seeing the girls grow up and doing fun things with them like shopping etc. The oldest SD since about the age of 14 rejected my offers of clothes shopping, doing her hair or nails. I found my clothes scrunched up in a corner of her room once. I have come to the conclusion that she has turned against her because I was asking her to help out when her younger sister helped. Now she doesn't do anything at all, she doesn't ever set the table or help with making tea. Her dad just lets her lie in her room all day.

moved out's picture

I now live on my own, go and see him at the weekend and also see his girls when they can be bothered to come out of their rooms. I get one word answers and I pretend that's all ok. My partner will continuously make excuses for their behaviour. (They're tired, they're teenagers, they didn't hear you)

I have thought alot about doing something like that or just moving on. I've told him that idk how much more I can take.

domybest's picture

So this is funny how much we all have the same issues,I have almost always been referred to as Him not my name or anything else,been in same room and not a word is spoken to me and I try and try to make it work all the time and the excuse I hear they are hurt and they need to trust you after 7 years they are grown adults now 24-26 so don't expect anything much to change .Just don't change your self stay true to you and God Bless for the endurance