You are here

co parenting w/exH

still learning's picture
Forums: 

I'm not sure why I've even titled this co parenting since exH really does nothing but send the check and only communicates when he wants to tell me that he's too busy to see his children. We have 50/50 in our CO which is over 12 years old and has never been modified. CS has never been modified either but that is in motion to change. exH has not fully exercised his visitation for most of those 12 years. This year he saw the kids a whole 4 days for summer and has not seen them for a holiday in years. He has come to 2 of ds18's national meets only because his mother (ex MIL) insisted he be there to support ds and she paid full cost of airfare, room and meals. exH has money he just didn't want to spend his own money for it.

In the last month I've sent xH a total of 5 texts and they were all about the kids medical bills which he is responsible for. I've called him a total of 2x because ds20 is applying for SSI and we needed some information. ds15 does call, skype and text xH from my phone because he does not have his own phone. I've only communicated with xH when necessary and only about the kids.

Last night "he" sends me a text saying that he never wants to speak to me again, I recieved a text from him that he is blocking me from his phone. The text was hard to read and the English not quite right. He is in the process of moving in w/his gf who is from a Latin country and her English is choppy. not that it matters but I'm sure it was her who sent the text. I'm only supposed to email exh and ds15 has to call from his brother ds20's phone. ds20 works evenings now and is gone before ds15 gets home from school so this is going to be heartbreaking for ds15.

Honestly I have no desire to speak or communicate w/xH but there are times it's necessary since we have 4 children together. It hurts to see the children basically shut out from his life. He tells me that ds20 (who is learning disabled) is now and adult and needs to be independant and on his own, meaning I get all the responsiblity. I agree but the fact is that ds20 will always need a degree of help and guidance to function. exH had promised also ds22 that she could live at home and pay rent until she finished her tech program that will last 1 year. Well he told her that he's done helping her and that she needs to be independent and no longer rely on her parents. I do agree that ds22 is an adult and capable of complete independence but to promise one thing just as she is starting this program then to yank the rug is a bit abrupt. He's touting all of this independence to his own children yet moving in w/his gf who lives w/her mother!!! He'll live w/her, her mother and her 13 yr old son.

exH's new place has no room for his kids to visit or for ds15/da18 to stay for the summer (ds18 will be home during summers from college for the next 4 years). I'm just saddened that there is no real relationship w/exH and his children unless it's convenient for him. He and his family have been allowed to see them whenever they've wanted. I've always been flexible and never blocked him from them. Also I've never badmouthed him to them. So many times I just have to say, "I don't remember" if they as me things about their father.

I'm so tired of trying to facilitate a relationship between the kids and their father when it's obvious that he really doesn't care. I've never wanted to be "one of those mothers" but I'm so done. I know he'll gain interest in his kids again if/when this new relationship ends just like the times before, but I'm really done trying to co ordinate everything for him, notify him of their activities, send pics etc. Should I just stop? Stop encouraging the kids to call him, skype him at all. Stop setting up summer visits, stop reminding them to send fathers day cards, school pics etc? I've tried to be so "nice" so the kids could have a relationship w/their father but they know they're not a priority to him. I see their hurt.

Any CP's just give up in this situation? If so how did it turn out?

still learning's picture

The youngest is 15, he's also learning disabled like his older brother so not quite mature for his age. I plan on sitting both ds15/ds20 down and giving them *the scoop* w/out bashing dad. Just the facts! exH can follow the kids activities and grades through portals and websites. We have joint physical and legal custody so he is free to talk to teachers, etc.

Rags's picture

We found that the best tool for maximizing interest from the SpermIdiot and the SpermClan in seeing SS was to nail their idiot asses to the wall with max CS obligation. The more they had to pay.... the more interested they were in exercising their CO'd visitation.

We certainly were not interested in facilitating time with them but neither did we ever actively prevent it either.

Give it a try and good luck.

still learning's picture

I've been *nice* for 12 years and haven't raised CS. Right now I'm in process of having the out of state CO enforced in our current state so that CS can be reviewed and enforced. My main goal is just to have the state collect it so I don't have to remind him to send it every month. If it gets adjusted and it likely will then great, if not great. The less I personally have to deal w/him the better.

Rags's picture

My wife adopted the be nice philosophy also. She felt that being nice and accommodating to the SpermIdiot and the SpermClan would motivate them to be nice to the Skid. That didnt work. When she finally gained clarity that they were manipulative toothless dipshits and considered the Skid to be a pawn for them to play their stupid games with in a constant attempt to get CS eliminated and manipulate my wife she took the zero tolerance and bring the pain phylosophy which worked like a charm.... until she would loosen the noose we worked hard to keep around their toxic manipulating necks. As soon as she loosened the noose... their toxic manipulative bullshit would immediately start again. Eventually she learned to keep them twitching on their tip toes which would return them to reasonableness and was the most effective way to protect the Skid's best interests against the shallow and polluted end of his gene pool.

Once she learned to effectively use every tool at her disposal to keep them under control she began sharing the facts of the situation with my SS in an age appropriate manner. This allowed him to learn to protect himself from their manipulative crap.

For 16+years we lived under the Custody/Visitation/Support order and in a constant struggle to mitigate the toxic crap of the SpermClan. Now at 25yo our son (he asked me to adopt him when he was 22 and we made that happen) has put the shallow and polluted end of his gen pool far in his rear view mirror.

No Name's picture

Don't call or text him. Send the medical bills via email or snail mail.
The children are old enough to call him or not call him. If it's only calls on the weekend because of cell phone availability then so be it. If your ex wants more contact than he can pay for a cell phone for DS15.
As the children get older it gets easier.
Your ex is starting a new life and he and/or his new GF are setting the rules. The sad thing is that things are always so much better all around if all parties could just get along and co-parent for the sake of the children.
Your ex is making the decisions that he is making and he will have to live with that.
I would however continue to do what you are doing by keeping him informed of events in the lives of his children and it will be up to him if he attends or does not attend. Just send emails with the facts and nothing else.
As far as school pictures I would email the information to my ex so that he could order pictures if he wanted them.
As far as Father's Day etc. You can remind them that the date is coming up but let them do what they want.

still learning's picture

It'd be really nice if we could co parent peacefully but as w/most divorce situations that's really a pipe dream. He's blocked me on his phone so there will be no texting or calls. I'll just forward all the bills to his last known address since he refuses to give me his current one. As for school/events he can stay informed himself through the martial arts school website and the school portal. He has joint legal so he can put a little effort into staying connected rather than me doing it all for him, if he chooses to. He's too cheap to get ds15 his own phone but expects ds20 to share his.

As soon as the CO is enforceable in our state everything that's in it will be enforced as well. exH is supposed to show proof of a life insurance policy in my name for the kids until they are 18 or finished w/college. CS will be adjusted and enforced, he'll have to share his current address/income and so on. No more ms nice doormat that takes whatever crumbs he decides to drop for the kids. Since he has failed to exercise visitation then joint custody may be revisited as well. Like Rags said, he may just be more interested in his kids if the courts are involved and it's affecting his wallet.

StepUltimate's picture

The child support locate team has plenty of tools to locate this total bummer of a "dad," including access to department of motor vehicles; cable, internet, and wireless bills; bank and loan accounts; payroll; IRS, state tax agencies; other social service agencies; etc., so the only way he'll be able to evade service of process is to be completely off the grid. I'm sorry for your kids having that as a father, and glad you're doing footwork on the child support transfer so you can stop being your own enforcement agent and let the power of your local child support agancy do what they do. Glad you've refrained from badmouthing that guy to the kids (who of course can by now see how he is all on their own). Keep your chin up and take courage, you'll get through this!

still learning's picture

"stop being your own enforcement agent..."

Yes. It's been stressful and I'm always accused of being a nag and greedy for reminding him that CS is past due. Trying to be "nice" to exH in regards to CS enforcement has only left me holding the bag and him underpaying. I'm ready for someone else to be the *bad guy.*