You are here

When is enough is enough?

amani's picture

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and has read a few forum headlines to get the basics. There has been some candid advice that were pretty insightful. I hope to receive some for my own situation. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do. So thank you in advance!

First off, I've been married to my husband for about six years now. We fell head over heels in love and got married shortly after a year of knowing each other. I was 24 at the time. It was my first long term relationship. For him, it was his second marriage but third long term relationship. He has two daughters from his first marriage. They were 7 and 8 years of age when I met them. Now they are 14 and 15.

Back then, when we first got married, I was a budding career woman with tremendous confidence carried over from a successful college career. I thought I could conquer anything! I jump into the marriage feet first and started running. Lo and behold, how wrong I was in taking such matters of blending into a family so easily.

The first thing that went awry was the culture difference. I am of Asian descent, first generation. My husband is Caucasian. He showed great interest in my culture at first but the that slowly wane as the years go by. I tried different ways of sharing my beloved culture to my step-daughters, but like their father they barely showed any interest at all unless it was beneficial to them like Chinese News Years and the tradition of money giving. I enjoy cooking ethnic food but that slowly wane due to complaints about my constancy. So I started cooking other types of food. This change in diet for me soon led to my gaining twenty plus pounds. Being a petite woman of less than 5 feet, this led to growing health issues later on, but that is a different story.

The next thing that went awry was the youngest step-daughter. She acted up and wouldn't cooperate when I moved in. At the time, I worked full time, went to graduate school, did the housekeeping and cooking as well as tutor both girls. I didn't know what else I could have done to help the girls get use to me. The eldest and I bonded immediately and she became a tremendous help around the house. A year later, my husband unwittingly gave his youngest daughter the option to follow his rules are move in with her mother. As you can imagine, she chose the latter, much easier route. Her mother received her with open arms and doted upon her every whim. A year after that, we found out the youngest had hip pertha and needed surgery. She was left immobile for about half a year due to her cast and rehabilitation. This was when the tall tales and not so innocent lies began to happen more frequently. An example of such a lie was when she was at school recess one day, she told a hall monitor that she saw a man approach and threaten to take her away. She said he had a weapon. The school called a lock down and notified the local sheriff. It was through their questioning that they found holes in her story and the facts didn't match up. This wouldn't be the first she had a run in with the law.

It was another year later, that the youngest daughter moved back in with my husband and I. She was having troubles with her mom and her grades were degrading. During that time, my bonding with the oldest became stronger and a set routine was already established. Again the youngest didn't acclimate to the change. It was the same problems again but more graduated in levels and frequency. It was so bad at one point my husband and I separated. He cited that I was too 'negative' in complaining about everything and anything. I said that he was hypocritical in his rules and easily manipulated by his kids. You have to understand, at the time, the kids were doing poorly at school and hardly doing their chores, and yet their father continues to allow them privileges to socialize and receive luxuries without any repercussions. I grew up in a strict home that emphasize structure and discipline. He allowed his kids to run freely without restrictions, yet he expects them to do well in school.

We have separated for four months. During this time, I fully expected us to divorce and move on with our lives. I have picked up what is left of my life and attempted to move on. You have to understand, during this time, I was very much involved with this family. So much so I have alienated most of my friends. I even quit graduate school so I can focus solely on the family. I felt used and discarded at the time. I wanted to find myself and create a new path without being tethered to a family.

When I came back from a long deserved vacation, my husband contacted me (for we did kept amiable contact while separated) and asked if we could get married life another try.

During this time, most of my resentment towards the failure of our marriage has been overturned and over analyzed to a point in which I was eager to make amends. I still love my husband and care for the kids. This time around though, I tried out my new philosophy and approached married life with two step-kids a bit differently. As the kids would say, I didn't 'force' my culture down on them even though my husband always toted how they would benefit greatly from that. I held back my meticulous nature to do everything and allowed the housekeeping to lax. I even catered meals to satisfy everyone's palate, while reserving the ethnic foods for myself. This time around I was determined to watch out for my health and stress level as well as maintain a loving relationship with my husband. I gave both girls a wide berth regarding their education.

It would seem this was a wrong decision too. During this time, it was the fourth year into our marriage. I became pregnant and gave birth to a healthy baby boy. During this time, other issues occur. My eldest step-daughter began to act up, told various lies, and became unbearable to live with. Her rebellious episode lasted for only a few months thankfully. However this was the least of our worries. My youngest step-daughter was having varying outbreaks of emotional breakdowns. This occur while she was being home-schooled. Despite my opposition to this due to knowing her nature was incapable of such self discipline to be successful, my husband did so anyways. She later on told us that she was hearing a voice that tells her to act up and do bad stuff. She would attribute everything bad behavior wise to this voice. It got so bad that she was hospitalize in a mental institution for her suicide attempt. My then ten month old son was home at the time when she committed this crime to herself. She's now on medication and therapy. I still don't trust her to be alone with him and baby sit him.

Now to the present, it has been almost a year since. She's seems better, less drastically displaying her emotional rage of madness. Now though, she's voicing her opinion on everything and anything. I do appreciate her to be outspoken, though her opinions are illogical and rash. She continues to lie and now allegedly steal. We have not caught her red handed yet, but her own mother had $600 stolen and the youngest step-daughter miraculously states she worked with her friend during a whole weekend and they both received $300 for her hard labor for mowing lawn service. From experience, she hardly do her chores at home to receive allowance. Another incident, their mother's home was broken into and vandalized while the youngest step-daughter was home apparently unaware of the situation. The police report stated that again her statements has holes and the vandalism was a crime of passion. The perpetrator hated the person living there because they targeted all her beloved possessions. Again we have no proof whether she had any part in it.

These are just some samples of my step-daughter's behaviors. I have tried counseling my husband to do the right thing, yet he hardly takes my advice into consideration and it seems to get worse and worse. Both their grades are failing. My husband convinced me to pay for both girls to receive expensive private tutoring to help them bring it up and receive studying skills. From what I understand, it isn't because they lack intelligence, it is because they are both lazy and doesn't take the time to study and practice that they are in this boat. But I do care for them and is shelling out the money for it. I saw little progress so far. It has been over two months and I am $4200 poorer.

Now, recently I just found out I'm pregnant again and my husband is assigned army officer training for four months. Then by next year, he'll be on tour for a year to 15 months. What am I suppose to do? I am stressed out about the future and possible trouble ahead. Its a wrong time to have a baby yet I don't want to lose it. But I fear that it might happen anyways because of the stress.I can't help but think that my husband is abandoning me at my most vulnerable to do his duty. He says both girls will help out but I know better. Due to experience, I can't help but worry. I've even contemplated divorce to separate my worries. Sorry about the long vent. Please advise.

belleboudeuse's picture

Wow. I have to say, I don't have any advice for you, really. The only thing I can say is, your husband really seems to discount your opinions and your needs a lot. But the thing is, you let him do it if you don't put your foot down. Personally, I would not want to be with someone like that.

Perhaps you should sit down and try to imagine two scenarios: One, your life in two or three years if you stay with your husband, and two, your life in two or three years if you leave. Which one will be better?

BB

You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. - 2BLoved

amani's picture

Well, my husbands words are: "You're being too negative." Or "I was kind of like this when I was young. They'll grow out of it." Or "Be the adult, get over it. Let them make mistakes."

I don't think like that though. I see bad behavioral patterns that needs to be corrected or else it becomes bad adult issues. Also, I want them to be self sufficient and function well when they are older. Being able to support themselves and live the life they want. If you don't teach them to do the right thing now, how will they fit into society later?

I've thought of what you've said. I don't want to take care of them when they are over 18, but at this rate, it might happen. That is what I see in the future if I stay. If I stay, for two years, I'll be a single mom while my husband is on active duty. He expects me to take care of everything while he is away. Yet the kids doesn't like how I run things. What good is taking the adult role if you don't get any respect or help when needed? If I leave though, my son will face a split family and my husband will fight for full custody. I seen how well that work out for the girls. I don't want that. I want what is best for my children and being in a home with two rebellious teenagers is not.

Thank you for the pep talk. My dilemma is not a win-win situation in deciding whether I leave or stay.

KarenW's picture

I wish I had advice for you. I understand so much. I come from a totally different lifestyle than the family I married into. The food thing I totally get. It is so hard to be so different from the people you care about and not have them seem to care about your culture or background. I wish I could offer you something but all I have is support. You can send me a message anytime to vent or just talk.

amani's picture

Thank you for the support. I really don't have any friends and family that are in the same boat. They've married the same race. Right now though, I'm vent out from earlier. Thanks again for the offer. I'll definitely take you up on it! ^_^

primin's picture

I also don't have a lot of advice for you other than the fact that the girls are close to the age where they will be out of the house.

I guess you have to ask yourself, can you hold on until then? Is it in your own childrens best interest for you to stay or to go?

I completely agree you should not leave your son alone... ever, with the youngest SD.

If your husband is gone for 15 months on a tour, do you have the option to not have the girls at your home while he is gone? That could be a really nice break for you to have time to focus on your son and the new baby. Yes, it will be hard with your DH away but it will also give you time to focus on yourself and your children. By the time he returns, the girls will be that much closer to being out on their own.

Good luck to you!!!

amani's picture

Thank you for the response. Any advice is much appreciated.

I have thought about that. that both girls only have 2 to 4 years left til they graduate. However, with their grades, I don't see that is a possibility even. Both girls are behind by at least a year. They both want to go to college, yet don't take the dedication and take the steps to achieve it. I've tried guiding them through the whole process but they won't listen to what I say about grades, test scores and acceptance essays. As far as the girls are concern, they don't have skills to recommend themselves for a decent job that will pay for an apartment. Most likely, they will end up living with us until they shape up. I don't want this either.

As much as I would like a break from the girls while my husband is on tour, he insists that they are better off with me than their mom. "There's more drama there." And "the kids won't get any studying done there." These are what my husband says. No matter how stressful it is for me, he thinks it is better for the kids to be with me. He thinks I'm over worrying about my health and that the pregnancy will work out fine. I understand myself very well and what I'm capable of and what the kids are capable of.

My own children would benefit to have a father and a whole family, however I don't think they'll benefit to learn from their sisters unless it is not to repeat their mistakes. They do have their good qualities but it is hard to see the rainbow when they keep creating rain clouds. Thanks again for your support.

folkmom's picture

plain and simple...they are not your kids. he is gone for 15 mos...they go to their moms.

want to ensure that? separate again.

your mental health is imporant and you should not have to bear this burden. they HAVE a mother. time for her to step to the plate. this is not your problem.

Christina Marie's picture

look, you can be as loving and supportive as you like and do the best you can, but with your own little one and a new baby coming, you simply cannot add on the stress of theese other 2 kids. I would tell my husband im sorry but they need to be with their mother while you are gone because their SEVERITY in action is taking from our younger children.Its not like they are doing normal teenage crap, normal teenage crap is stressfull enough. This is severe things, and with 2 babies and your husband gone, you cant handle theese teenagers as well.I count my lucky stars I have a supporting, loving hubby who would NEVER allow me to be disrespected or talk to me that way..but my x fiance was..and you sound like youve been trying and trying, eventually there is a point where the sacrifices are too great..and sacrificing the babies for the youg women...is too great..the babies are innocent the young women are not. Good luck, I'll keep you in my prayers hun.

~Chrissie

Loving Wife to my hubby, Mother and friend to our darlings.

Most Evil's picture

These girls need to be with their own mom while their dad is on tour - plain and simple. I would tell him you cannot and will not be responsible for them without his presence and just refuse.

Even if he gets mad, you cannot have these hellions running the show, with no discipline in any way. They need to start feeling the consequences of their actions - not studying, no rules, etc. - if they are ever going to improve. I would refuse honey - put your foot down! Let their own mom deal with them!

Your own young children need you and you don't need to be stressed and basically a single parent with all this burden. Tell him dear. HUGS!

primin's picture

I'll say it again, you do not need to have his children in your house while your DH is away. They are not your children and you have a right to peace and sanctity in your own home for you and your children.

Refuse. Period. Go enlist a counselor for help if your DH can't see that you're not being unreasonable.

marblefawn's picture

Ugh, what an awful situation.

What about boarding school for the girls while he's away?

Yes, it's expensive, but their grades are bad, so you could argue to your husband that this is the only way to get them the grades they need to get into good colleges. And they will be under the supervision of people PAID to supervise them and discipline them properly. The money you're spending now on tutors could be put toward tuition. Maybe their mother could offer some financial support for tuition. It would only be for the year he's away. Let the school deal with the stealing, the poor grades, the lying, etc.

The only other suggestion I have is that you insist the girls live with their mother for the year. Tell your husband it is natural and better for a parent to have his children. Tell him it's only one year, so their mother's "drama" won't influence them so much in a year (even if this isn't true, I'd say it). Tell him you feel overwhelmed at the prospect of handling two teens, a baby AND a newborn!!!!, plus keeping a house, work, etc. What if there are problems with your pregnancy? How will you recuperate after giving birth and manage three kids and a newborn?

When he tells you there is "too much drama" at their mother's house, tell him their lack of respect for you will mean just as much drama at your house without him there to help. When he says they won't study at their mother's house, tell him they don't listen to you, so they won't be studying at your house either. Tell him how divided your time will be with a newborn and young boy of your own. Tell him, if it comes down to it, you will parent your children first, as it should be, and his will get whatever time and energy you have left, which won't be much.

I think it is unnatural for a stepparent to provide full-time care for stepkids when there is another parent available to do the job. They will be living with neither parent and making your life miserable. Tell him what you must to get your way. If that means "NO," tell him "NO!" Most American men are used to hearing this from their wives!

There is one more option. When your husband is gone, you can take the girls to their mother's house and tell them you'll be back for them in 15 months. What will your husband do about it? Yes, it's a little sneaky. But she IS their mother and you have your own kids to protect and mother. You can deal with his anger when he gets back. Or you can end the marriage before he returns.

It's entirely unreasonable for you to have to deal with his children without him there. Remember, he can't make you do this.