You are here

What the hell happens is SD gets pregnant?

tofurkey's picture

So I was reading a reply to a message that made something click in my brain. I know that DH's daughter is 6 at the time, but with how young girls are getting pregnant now a days, it's not like it's impossible for her to get knocked up in 7 or 8 years?

What the hell will happen then?! if she gets pregnant before 18, will DH be responsible for the added cost when it comes to her being pregnant?

Omg, not a good thought of her as a teen mom....

stormabruin's picture

I'd wondered about this too. If the kid who gets her pregnant is underage, can you sue his parents for child support?

skylarksms's picture

BTDT - SD got pregnant when (barely) 16 from her BF (although he is 18 so responsible for CS himself).

DH still pays BM CS for daughter since she (and baby) still live with BM. He was also responsible for half of her medical costs when it came to delivery although all the baby's medical costs were the responsibility of SD's BF.

Although now, somehow, SD and baby are on Medicaid. Not sure how since I thought they took the entire household income into consideration...

I was told at some point that the parents would be responsible for CS if a minor got someone pregnant. (I think I got concerned when my minor son was seeing a much older girl)

So anyway, BM get CS from DH, CS from SD's BF AND complete control over grandbaby. Isn't life great? Sad

tofurkey's picture

Eek! Sounds like you have a handful with that one. Doesn't surprise me that she pulled out the crocodile tears when DH decided to confront her about it. What a load of crap...

I know that my DH's daughter is still young, but I can't help but think about these things. I mean, people who get into these relationships and think it's just about dealing with someone's else's kid, they turn 18 and that's it...ohhhh hell no...BM's, in laws, you feeling like shit, you looking like a monster, being resented, feeling resentful, SKIDS doing f&cked up stuff, getting pregnant at 15, 16? The list goes on and on...

mom2five's picture

I will never understand these 14 and 15 year olds getting pregnant. I cannot wrap my mind around it. Sixteen or seventeen I can understand. You don't have as much control over them when they start dating. But as the mother of three boys and two girls I know that when my kids were 14 years old they were not having sex. You know how I know? Because I knew where they were and who they were with every single minute of the day.

At 16, it's the kids fault. At 14 it's bad parenting. Sorry if that offends. But that's the way I see it.

tofurkey's picture

I agree I can't wrap my mind around it either. But I dont' understand any teen pregnancy. I don't think any age teen has the mental capacity or life experience or any business whatsoever bringing a baby into the world. I think at any teen age or before getting married or being a long and committed relationship is a result of poor morals and lack of parents as good role models.

mom2five's picture

I agree that teens shouldn't be having babies. But the reality is you cannot be with them every second once they are 16 and 17 years old. They start dating, hanging out with friends, working... It's simply not possible to prevent them from having sex at that age. You just have to hope that you've given them guidance along the way so that they make good decisions. Unfortunately, even really good kids make bad choices. That's why I can see at 16 or 17 years old how a pregnancy could happen.

What I don't get is how this happens to a 14 year old? How do these parents not know what their 14 year old kids are doing? I'm not super-mom. I can't control the actions of my 21 year old, my 17 year old, or my 16 year old. I just have to hope I've done a good job parenting. And I have to hope they have the self-discipline to make good choices. But my 14 year old? I know exactly where she is and who she is with all the time. I know her friends and her friends' parents. She isn't allowed to be in anyone's home unless there is a parent at home. She sure as hell isn't allowed to date. I check up on her constantly when she is out. I just don't see how these 14 year old girls find the opportunity to have sex.

tofurkey's picture

I saw a news cast type show the other day that 13 year olds are having sex at school.. It's disgusting. I couldn't imagine someone having a kid, and when they are a mom and 20, their kid is already 7. Wtf?