You are here

Watch My Kids or Get A Divorce

PsychoStepMom's picture

Hello Everyone!

I've been in a week long argument with my husband over my step kids. 

A background: We've been together for 5 years, married going on 4. We came into this relationship with him having 2 from a previous marriage. Which at the time there were no issues with. We ended up having a child together and I became a stay at home mom so I could care for our kiddo. Of course I'd would also become care taker of our step kids. But as we ended up having another kid, and the step kids got older, the dynamics changed. While I love and care about them, the relationship began to strain between my husband and I. I ended up having to go on medication for having a mood swing disorder. And about 6 months ago after getting into another argument over the step kids I told him that I was taking a step back away from the situation. That he would be solely responsible for his children from a previous marriage and he could raise them how he saw fit. And if they were to be here, that he would have to be here as well. Of course on certain occasions where he could leave them here as long as he told them I was in charge.  We had gone through talks about finding middle ground about what the children were responsible for, the rules of the house, punishments that were allowed. All of this written down and more. And it seemed like each time they got into trouble, me and him were fighting about it. He didn't have my back. There was no united front. I was tired of the disrespect and I was tired of the arguments and strain on my marriage. Him and their bio mom want to be the best friends. These kids have no idea how rude or disrespectful they can be, and they believe that they are entitled to a lot of things to which in life you need to earn. I don't blame them for their behavior I blame their parents. And trying to correct or teach them that this behavior isn't okay on my end just results in a fight, which I'm over. I tried playing the responsible parents. I tried helping to raise them. A person can only take so much. 

We tried leaving them here for Christmas break. Now they aren't bad kids, but some of the things they do like disrespecting an adult, being a bully isn't something I'm okay with. HIs oldest started being disrespect not only towards me but their siblings as well. I ended up leaving them home (13 is old enough) and went to do errands. I told my husband what had happened and what I did. Before the night was over, they had played the pity card that I left them there on purpose and no one wanted anything to do with them all day. Again I was at fault. So I said they need to go to their grandparents for the remaining days. 

Fast forward to last week. I had continued to ask what his plans were for his kids for spring break. He couldn't come up with an answer. Our first  born was on spring break as well so I made plans for him to have play dates and do fun things. I also had doctors appointments as we are pregnant with child #3. So I finally asked, are they staying here for spring break? He said yes. I continually asked to talk about it, and he said the decision was final and I finally blew up. I said you have yet to consult me on any decision making in the past few weeks (this goes beyond the step kids as well). Unless you discuss this with me they aren't staying here. SO in turn he said you either can watch them for spring break or we are getting a divorce. I told him to get the papers then. He proceeded to tell me that if I didn't want to be a parent that he would need to know> I said 6 months ago we came to an agreement that I was no longer responsible for them. That you would have to be here when they were here. He broght up xmas vacation. I said don't you remember how that ended? They spent the last few days with their grandparents while you were at work. So instead of talking he gave me an ultimatum. 

He fully believes that I am in the wrong. Refuses to see that if he had just simply said he needed help and made arrangements not just with me but with the grandparents that I might have actually said okay, they can stay. but to assume that I was just going to be okay with it without even attempting to talk or set ground rules. I'm really hurt by all of this. On top of all of this. I told him to leave if he wasn't going to come to some sort of middle ground so he left. But no means did I not say my fair share of mean and evil things because well I was pretty pissed. But, I ended up in the emergency room and tried getting a hold of him. He ignored my cals and texts. He ended up coming the next morning only to immediately leave because he didn't have sufficient care for the older two. So left before I was discharged. Which hurts in itself. But I have to I guess deal with it. But now he has gone to not coming home at night and taking money out of the bank, locking me out of accounts. I'm very lost. 

ESMOD's picture

It sounds like you are headed for divorce.  Unfortunately, you need to get yourself to a lawyer ASAP and stop him from hiding money and assets from you.

It seems like he thought that since you were staying at home ... you would be able to do the childcare for all the kids.  But that only works if he is willing to back you up as an authority with his kids... so you were right to try to back off of that... the solution probably would lie more in you going back to work once you are able and to have both of you contribute to the childcare needed by your joint kids.. and he would deal with paying for the care of his kids while they are with him.

but... it seems he is making real moves to split with you.. I know that is upsetting but you need to be smart and protect your own interests.  see a lawyer.

GrudgingSM's picture

I am so sorry for all you're going through right now. If he is threaten divorce and has also started staying out all night and taking money out of the account, you need to go ahead and file. You need to get your own bank account opened, and take half of what is in the account. You need to take stock of what else that you have, or know that you have, because he will absolutely try and hide some of that from you, especially if he's already taking money out of accounts before any official action has been taken. It sounds like this man does not respect you and has only been using you as a babysitter. Your requests previously have been eminently reasonable, and you even wrote stuff down! It's wild that he can try and twist the truth at that point, but I've seen that in my own ex too. Please protect yourself legally and financially.

advice.only2's picture

You need to meet with a lawyer ASAP the fact he's freezing you out of accounts is not good.

tog redux's picture

Anyone who threatens divorce to get their way is abusive. I'm sorry, I know it will be hard to be on your own, but I'd start making an exit plan. Then he can try to figure out how to deal with his kids on his own.

Thumper's picture

Just so you know, being married to a man with children from another marriage does NOT make you responsible for their care, education, medical or religion. It is his and his ex's, not yours. To put it blunt, tell Mr. Charming to check his custody order and point on the doll where your name is.

In some marriages adults DO negotiate those arrangements. But it is agreed upon. It does not sound like you agreed to this.

I am so sorry (HUGS),  PLEASE contact a lawyer File for support as noted above .

He is in for a very rude awakening.

PsychoStepMom's picture

Florida

Rumplestiltskin's picture

If he expects you to parent his children, then undermines you, you can't win. You could:

a) Get a job, put your 2 (soon to be 3) in daycare, try to work things out with him while also dealing with his kids, his BM, and likely his pissy attitude and continued disrespect.

b) File for divorce, seek max CS and alimony, as much custody as you can get. If you document his threats and grabbing for assets and staying out, that may help. You will likely still end up having to get a job and put your kids in daycare, but you won't have to deal with him/ferals/BM. Mr. Repeat Romeo Serial Babymaker will likely have to pay out the a$$. 

I don't know all the details of your situation, but him expecting you to watch his kids but then not backing you really pisses me off. Not to say this is what happened with you, but some men seem to think they can just slide another woman into the mommy role for their older kids, expect her to "love them like her own", but have no authority. Fk all that.

ETA you didn't say how often they stay with you. If it's very rare, and you really want to stay home with your 3, it may be better to suck it up. But if it's like 50/50, that sounds intolerable. 

PsychoStepMom's picture

He expects me to be a mom to them to whcih I continuously tell him I'm not. I'm not replacing her. We have them 50/50. He hasn't left them home since the agreement unless he needs to run to the store now. Before the agreement every weeknight and weekend we had them. 

Rags's picture

Do not negotiate, do not speak with him, end life as he knows it and end it painfully. Freeze all of the accounts immediately and put your shark lawyer to work.

Take care of you, take care of your young children.

Stepdrama2020's picture

Ill take the divorce thanks, heck I'd get a root canal over watching your brats.

This dude is playing dirty pool. Not a good relationship to be in.