You are here

Want honest advice

Whatisthislife's picture

I would like an unbiased look into an issue I'm having and welcome any input.  My children and I moved into my boyfriends house several years ago.  Last year I bought a trampoline as a birthday present for my son.  Clearly it gets used by all my kids, as well as his kids.  We live next door to his ex girlfriend so his children come and use the trampoline when they are over there as well.  No problem.  Recently, his ex's new boyfriends kids came over and used it unannounced.  I would like to set up some boundaries with this.  However, my boyfriend doesn't see a problem and doesn't want to do anything different.  Thoughts, advice, input? 

marblefawn's picture

This is an easy one!

Those trampolines are liability traps. Kids get hurt on them all the time, especially when the kids are different sizes and they're bouncing on top of each other. THE TRAMPOLINES ARE REALLY UNSAFE.

Not only should you consider the potential liability if someone is hurt on your equipment, you should reconsider the trampoline for your own kids. Liability kicks in because the injuries are so grievous -- we're talking concussions, paralysis and other spinal injuries, not to mention broken bones.

The liability is a real and justifiable reason to limit who is using the trampoline. Some homeowners' policies even increase in homes with trampolines, so you might want to think about how well the kids are supervised, which is one way homeowners end up footing the bill for serious injuries.

It might be awkward to tell kids who've been using it that they can't use it any longer. But at the same time, imagine the trouble if one of those kids become paralyzed on your trampoline. You'd feel awful and you'd be responsible. This is a good reason to set some boundaries.

Aunt Agatha's picture

Everyone has given great advice, but trampolines are so fun but incredibly dangerous.  

Kids do think through their actions, but if one of the ex GF or her new BF kids got hurt, you bet your bottom dollar they would sue you for having a dangerous piece of equipment kids had access to.

Phoebe333's picture

I wouldn't want to live next door to ex, mine or bf. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Have a release of liability letter that they have to sign. 

I know that my HOMEOWNERS insurance flat out said that they won't cover anyone that sues us over a trampoline. We were not "allowed" to have one. We don't, but just so you realize what you could potentially be holding over your own heads. Don't think for a minute that they won't sue you if a child is hurt or worse. 

SteppedOut's picture

Same. My homeowners insurance company does not allow them either. 

Definitely have them sign a release of liability if they are going to continue to use it, they WILL sue if something happens. OR their medical insurance company can sue you as well to recoup what it pays. 

Kee-khe's picture

You live nextdoor to his ex? Oy, I could NEVER. we live 30 mins away from BM and that still feels WAY too close.

hereiam's picture

Even a signed release of liability will not necessarily keep them from suing - and winning.

However, my boyfriend doesn't see a problem and doesn't want to do anything different.

I would also have a problem with this. Your BF doesn't want to respect your boundary concerns, either.

Rags's picture

Time to move, take your toys, and get the hell away from BM and her own blended family.   That your BF finds no issue with this is alarming.  Having BM's BF's children bouncing on your tramp is a huge risk and potential financial liability.

Time to put a lock on the gate at the very least.  Skids only come over on dad's time and the Skid's StepSibs don't come over at all.

I cannot immagine the thought process that went into you tolerating living next door to your SO's X and his desire to do so.