You are here

Summertime Stepmom blues....

bioandstep2009's picture

This is my first post/vent to this board so here's a little history. I have a DD10 and a SS9. The kids live with my soon to be DH and me 99% of the time. Within the last 9 months, biomom got involved with someone, moved in with him and his kids an hour away (used to live 5 mins away), started doing the EOW thing with SS9 after years of irregular/infrequent overnights despite being 5 mins away. Biomom doesn't work anymore (also happened within the last 9 months), and has been keeping up with the EOW. This summer, SS9 will be spending most of his time with her. It's the longest amount of time he's ever been with her, and we have switched to seeing him EOW for the summer. Part of me was looking forward to the break, having just my DD10 instead of the two of them, and their demands. But, it was weird the first weekend and first two weeks that he was gone. The house was too quiet and DD10 missed him more than she would admit. The first weekend he was back was a great weekend. Soon to be DH was happy, everyone was happy. SS9 then spent a full two weeks with biomom and has just come back to us for two weeks. This time, I'm not so happy because within a day, the living room was a mess, drawers open, lights on in rooms unoccupied etc. It's like, I got better adjusted to him not being here for those two weeks and now, I'm having to adjust to him being here for the two weeks when I should be used to him since he does live here 99% of the time. I'm having a hard time with it and feel badly because I know he's happy to be back and I'm well, kinda flat about it because of the messes, the nagging I have to do to get him to clean up after himself etc.Perhaps I'll get used to it as the years pass by but for now, it's a rough adjustment.

Orange County Ca's picture

I'm not sure if your complaint is that he now is messy but before he wasn't. I.e. picking up bad habbits at Mom's. Or is it you're generally happier when he's gone now that you've got a taste of it.

There's an exception to everything I say.

bioandstep2009's picture

I guess I got used to a cleaner and quieter house for those two weeks. I think I'm adjusting to having him and his habits back. During the year when he's here full time, I get irked by the drawers being left open, messes everywhere he went but I was more used to it and I guess more tolerant than I am now.