You are here

SS not listening after dad comes

Ale1519's picture

So a month or two ago I asked skids (mainly ss since hes still into toys) to keep toys out of the living room. Mainly because living room is directly next to our bedroom and i got tired of having them being loud. But i played it off to them like it was because they need to get used to putting toys away for baby arriving soon. They listened. Until DH got home. All of a sudden I came to get a drink and theres a race track set up in my living room. fast forward to last weekend SS came here getting over being sick. I told him he needs to keep distance from ONE MONTH old baby. He listened. Until DH got home & held the baby & SS basically sits on his lap playing with the babies hands. (Hes 11 btw). He did this all weekend. Just completely up DHs ass and allll over my son everytime DH has him. & now my son has a cough. DH never sees wrong with SS (ill admit hes the best behaved in comparison) so when i complain about him he flips. I feel stuck..

SteppedOut's picture

Sounds like he's jealous of the attention the baby is recieving. Also, knows dad is a pushover with rules. 

Yuck. I do not envy your position. 

Perhaps suggest to dh that he spend time with his older son and get him settled before holding baby?

Love_and_Loathing's picture

Agreed. Dad seems to be a pushover with rules and that’s not a good thing. I disengaged a month ago and don’t do any discipline of my SD5 any longer and dad finally stepped up to the plate. I didn’t have to push him at all, thankfully. I just handed him the reigns and he has been awesome. Some people need that extra “get your shit together and enforce rules, etc” though. 

Ale1519's picture

DH is extremely strict on his kids, but never sees reasoning behind the rules I set so doesn't enforce them I guess.

Monkeysee's picture

DH is extremely strict on his kids, but never sees reasoning behind the rules I set so doesn't enforce them I guess.

This is a basic lack of respect for you as his spouse and the other adult within your household, and it will lead to resentment within your marriage over time if it hasn't already.  Provided your house rules are reasonable, which to me sound like they are, your DH should be working with you to ensure your needs are being met & not just the *wants* of his child.

If my skids came over & were sick, I'd expect them to keep a reasonable distance from a 1 month old baby as well.  Infants have no immune system, wtf is your DH thinking allowing his sick kid to breathe all over your child & play with his hands, which are sure to go into his mouth. 

This isn't parenting differences, it's basic respect.