You are here

SS 7 acts like baby. Calls DH "dadda" and general irritating behaviour

confused1807's picture

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anyone of their step kids acting like a proper baby and how do you deal with it?
Basically SS7 always calls my bf "dadda" and shouts out things like "dadda I want a huggy huggy!"
He also every single night he is here ( every other weekend) tries to climb into bed with us. Last night or rather this morning I should say he jumped on my neck at 2am while trying to get in. He wakes me up three times on average in the night trying to get into bed with his dad. To be fair my bf takes him back to bed every time , but I have a son that is 6 and he very rarely gets up in the night nor does he display any of the babyish behaviour I mentioned above. I think his mum indulges him when he acts like this, but it is sooooo annoying and I wake up really tired and groggy.

He also cries at everything little thing. Like for example we watched the snoopy movie at the cinema and the alarm clock went off in the film and he started crying saying "dadda I am so scared" so he could sit on his dad's lap. It is mega embarassing. Even bf's mum comments on how needy this kid is. When I question my boyfriend he says " my kids just love their daddy" yeh ok, but still like wtf? Also SS is not an only child he has 2 other siblings. I understand he loves and misses his dad but I just get a little weirded out by this. I mean I know all kids are different and come with their own set of behaviours/ qualities, but this to me is ggggrrrrr so annoying.

Anyone any tips on how to not feel really angry and annoyed by this?

kaehbee's picture

Sd11 was 7 when i met her. She still wore a pull up and had never slept in her own bed.
She is still a manipulative spoilt princess but less so these days. Dh is now well aware of how she operates and checks with me first to make sure sd isn't scamming for something shes already been told no. And i dont care whos kid is in my house or under my care. My house my rules and i don't care who spat you out their hoo ha you will respect me.
Sd told me her bm was a better mother than me. Everytime that whiney arse asked what was for dinner or anything similar i just replied ask your mother. She never tried that shit again. And she loves me and calls me mum but i am tough as hell with her. No different than i am with my kids..

Last In Line's picture

I wouldn't go out in public with a kid who acted like that--someone might think I created that mess.

Fact is, if your BF is ok with the kid's behavior, it isn't going to change. At least he isn't letting him sleep in the bed with you.

Rags's picture

Your BF not only facilitating and enabling this crap he is encouraging and instigating it.

Do you want this enabling and instigating idiot near you own child? If so... why exactly?

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

I can see how that would be very annoying. DH needs to wean him from this baby-like behaviour.

It's kind of sad really that your DH needs his 7 year old to act like a baby to feel loved and fatherly. He needs to become a proper dad and teach the child to grow up just a little right now.

Good luck.

confused1807's picture

Hey all,

Thank you so much for your replies. I am glad I am not alone in feeling like this is weird.
My son thinks that my SS is a bit weird for his baby-like behaviour. At times my son has tries to copy certain phrases that my SS says and as soon as he starts I will ignore him and I tell him I am not speaking to him or doing anything for him until he talks to me properly. That seems to work. My DH loves the attention. Yesterday my DH was feeding him like a baby, as in picking up the food onto a fork and putting it into his mouth. After a whole weekend of listening to his baby-like whiney whinging behaviour, I had enough. I said to my DH 'He is 7 years old stop feeding him like a baby" and my DH said ' Well I could tell you a few things you need to do with your son. Don't you dare criticise me." We had a big old row. Yes I should not of criticised him, but I just thought it was a bit odd. I do not know what it is about this kid, but DH is constantly stroking his head like he is a pet or stroking his feet. It is too much. I am affectionate with my son, but not in this way.

I know I sound jealous, but it is constantly like this. Whenever SS does something wrong DH tells him off but says like seconds afterwards 'Don't forget daddy loves you so so much my handsome boy. You know how proud I am of you." AARRRRGGGHHHHHH

confused1807's picture

Hey all,

Thank you so much for your replies. I am glad I am not alone in feeling like this is weird.
My son thinks that my SS is a bit weird for his baby-like behaviour. At times my son has tries to copy certain phrases that my SS says and as soon as he starts I will ignore him and I tell him I am not speaking to him or doing anything for him until he talks to me properly. That seems to work. My DH loves the attention. Yesterday my DH was feeding him like a baby, as in picking up the food onto a fork and putting it into his mouth. After a whole weekend of listening to his baby-like whiney whinging behaviour, I had enough. I said to my DH 'He is 7 years old stop feeding him like a baby" and my DH said ' Well I could tell you a few things you need to do with your son. Don't you dare criticise me." We had a big old row. Yes I should not of criticised him, but I just thought it was a bit odd. I do not know what it is about this kid, but DH is constantly stroking his head like he is a pet or stroking his feet. It is too much. I am affectionate with my son, but not in this way.

I know I sound jealous, but it is constantly like this. Whenever SS does something wrong DH tells him off but says like seconds afterwards 'Don't forget daddy loves you so so much my handsome boy. You know how proud I am of you." AARRRRGGGHHHHHH

confused1807's picture

Hey all,

:sick: