You are here

Should I marry him or say goodbye?

Runawayfiance's picture

For the last 8 years I've been a single mom of 2 girls. I enjoyed rebuilding myself but also coped with solitude. Last year, I met my soul mate who is an amazing, and a real hard catch to find man. But he's a father of 3 girls - a teen, preteen and 6 year old. We are extremely compatible and he  proposed after 7 months of dating. The only catch is, after moving in last month, I realized that it will take a lot of changing of myself and an attempt at changing my DNA to accept being a stepmom to his 3 daughters. I developed a certain sensitivity to their very strong presence and messes that it is changing me in a very unhealthy way. Bottom line I feel like im losing my sanity in my own home. He has daughters full time every second week - 7 days straight x2 a month.  I cant do it, but i love him. Our values are either we marry or we don't. He says I'm the love of his life yet cannot change the fulltime parenting terms. Shall I walk out on such a great man at this point?

Runawayfiance's picture

I would be Ok if he has them every second weekend and 1 evening a week . Should thus be an unfair request? 

ndc's picture

I think that is an unfair request.  A fair request would be for him to parent his children better, demand that they clean up messes, demand that they be respectful, demand that they follow house rules, and impose consequences for failure to do so.  Are your issues with his children "fixable"?   

Runawayfiance's picture

Cleaning issues are, because I am in his oife he praises me for helping him create discipline in his kids life.... Before me, it was a free for all.

Java_Junkie's picture

...but I will venture a guess that the only thing that matters is what the decree says. If you can't live with the court order in the decree, you probably need to eject.

Runawayfiance's picture

He made many efforts in adjusting living standards. The hard thing is when his d12 makes negative comments on my food or throws tantrums. At 40 I don't have energy for that. He says he's hands on, On the other hand he will wait until the disaster mess is done and me saying something to actually disciple his KIDS. When kids aren't around we are AMAZING together. When kids are around my filter is on, and my inner world is triggered and shaken. It's so tough.

Runawayfiance's picture

It took me countless dating to finally a good one. My gut? It says run... run hard and fast 

Areyou's picture

Listen to your gut. When you find peace again your body heart and mind will let you know. It will feel like a huge weight has been lifted and you get to go back to who you were. Your personal happiness and sense of peace should not be sacrificed for ungrateful skids and DHs other baggage. Take care of you. Love yourself like you want others to love you.

EllaEnchanted's picture

Very wise, I did just that! I am so happy that I left this relationship now that time has passed. Our love was not enough to make us work. It was hard to leave a man I love, but my gut told me to runnnnnnnn away. Which I did and I was right to. I am onto new things as a result, and I learned that I was not made to cater to a big family. Great tip and good luck to RunawayFinace

Runawayfiance's picture

I think it's clear based on all these posts I see how hard it is for so many SMoms to be in such a role. If he was willing to cutback on the 50/50 custody id stay. Otherwise its time for me to start healing and turning the page. What woud you do to heal?

Survivingstephell's picture

That's a lot of estrogen in that house.  I know, I brought 3 BDs, DH brought 2 SDs and we had one BD.  Its bad enough with your own, but having to deal with SD's is hard, Your man seems to parent in a reactive style rather than a proactive style.  It's a style but one that leads to resentment eventually.  

Let go of the soulmate thing.  Its clouding your thinking.  Odds are in your favor that you will find another man that could be more compatible with your situation.  Much more than this one is.  If nothing else, live apart and date for a really long time.  Marriage licsense  is a legal document that can really complicate breaking up.  

Runawayfiance's picture

Mine are at home. And are amazing compared to his. Sorry to say.

Java_Junkie's picture

My DW says her kids are awesome, but I don't quite agree. They're OK. What's NOT awesome is DW's parenting skills, which she says are just right. Her opinion vs my opinion. Her kids, with whom she has this emotional bond, and I don't. These kids are OK, but not SSSSPECCCCIALLLLL; as their mom, her kids are - TO HER.

I know I could be happy in life without Thing 1 and Thing 2 always walking into my bedroom, without them wasting the food I buy, without them lounging around the house like it's a resort while DW and I are working our tails off to make it nice, without them basically disregarding me at every turn. Bottom line, these behaviors of theirs are behaviors that DW thinks are NBD. Well, I guarantee, if it was my kids doing this, she'd be PISSED (as would I), and I would be on them, firm but kind, that the rules are a little different. And this is why I'm seeking counseling.

Have you considered counseling?

Unhappysb's picture

I feel so sorry for you. This is my situation  except I actually ignored the gut feeling and got married. Fast forward 2 years and I'm feeling maybe even more resentful than I was before. My kids are grown which I think makes it worse because I feel like i traded the freedom id worked so hard to achieve to rewind 13 years of my life and be stuck in a 50/50 parenting situation which in reality probably ends up being more 70% for us. Right now it's summer holidays so we have the skids all of August, 1am seems to be the accepted bedtime although it was 4am a few nights ago because it was raining! I'm not even at the end of my tether anymore I'm resigned..resigned to the fact I will not end the year as a married woman, the trade off is too big for me. I have 1 thing keeping me here but countless things to make me leave. My advice would be not to wait and hope it gets better, it doesn't! Men are so busy parenting through guilt they either don't see or care that they're completely neglecting the person that would have still been there when the kids have all flown the nest if only they had been paying attention. Good luck with whatever you decide 

Runawayfiance's picture

I deserve to be happy. This situation won't. It's either he cuts his time with kids- or ciao sayonara.  I left a first schmuck not to imprison my life in a different way. Thanks for sharing and tips!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

You failed to take enough time to vet the dynamic, and now you're paying the price for that. 

Around here it's generally thought that two years of dating before leveling up is about right. That gives enough time to vet the partner, their parenting style, kids, extended family and ex. It also gives bio kids time to adjust to their parent's new partner.

You had love goggles on when you agreed to move so fast. Move back out, and focus on your kids. Date him if you must, but keep your options open and learn from your mistake. 

Runawayfiance's picture

True I didn't think it through but then again glad I did it sooner rather them in a year from now.  He'll have to decide if he wants me in his life until we are grey and old. His fantasized of marriage with a new wife and kids are far from realistic. No woman would tolerate thus situation. So I'll let him decide. It's your partner for life with whom you can rebuild or kids. 

What I mean by that is : let him have kids every second weekend and Wednesdays. Instead if 7 days straight every second week. Thoughts?

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I think that's both selfish and unrealistic. If he doesn't parent well with 50/50, he won't do any better with less time. And what would you say it he told you your kids were only welcome in the home seven days per month?

Runawayfiance's picture

His kids are whirlwind. No woman would accept the fulltime arrangement. If he loves me he'll make me number 1. Otherwise I'm saying goodbye. I gave sooo much of myself in my life I can't do it anymore. Marrying him is another form of suicide.

Runawayfiance's picture

Based on many articles read if the hubby doesn't make the wifey number 1- the marriage us doomed. Resentment builds and it's downhill. Sometimes we need to be selfish in order to be whole.

still learning's picture

"I gave sooo much of myself in my life I can't do it anymore."

So true and exactly how I'm feeling today. DH is great but currently I'm dealing with the fallout and custody issues of two previous marriages that I put everything into and gave too much of myself. SAHM, putting 99.9% of my energy into marriage and family, taking care of sick exH for 2.5 years. In the end I was used up and tossed out. Was it worth it? NO. I'm already planning on being a nun in the next life.  

Take this man and his situation at face value, if you can't handle his kids now 50% of the time there is no way it will get better. What if something happens and he becomes the full time custodial parent? He may change to appease you but he will resent you for it which will cause problems.  

You and your children deserve peace and stability. You may find short term love with this man but not life long happiness.  Listen to your gut, read the horror stories on this board that are your future then step back and make a rational decision.  Do you really want to give 50% of your time to his children and dysfunctional situation?  

"The fact is, love is not enough. All those fairytales, all those stories and movies you've heard and watched growing up, lied to you. Love is never enough because love is irrational." - Unknown

Here's a link to an article that gets put up sometimes. I wish I had read this when I was 18. 

https://markmanson.net/love

Runawayfiance's picture

"Short term love vs. lifelong happiness" but he has loved me like no other in my life.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Yep. Find a man who doesn’t have kids but doesn’t mind living with your bios.You can split household expenses, support yourself and your children, and be happy.

ndc's picture

Personally, I think that's a recipe for disaster.  The stepkids will still be there often enough to make your life miserable, they'll blame you for seeing their father less, and if he doesn't initially have resentment, he will eventually.  You'd be better off just leaving.  I said it before, but I don't think that's a fair request to make.

Areyou's picture

It’s not too late to move out. I made the same mistake. Our timelines and circumstances are almost identical. After living with him for nine months I moved out due to multiple issues like poor parenting, rude teenage skids, my own DD suffering due to awful stepkids, fighting between me and DH due to skid behaviors. It was a 50/50 custody arrangement. DH parented out of guilt and was a Disney dad with a jealous princess miniwife and depressed teenage son. I was turning into someone I didn’t know. I purchased a beautiful 1500 sq. feet urban condo with the proceeds from the sell of my house. I sold that house to move in with him. This worked out well for me because I was ready to downsize to a condo anyway. We still date. I am much happier. I see 90% less of skids but still see DH everyday. I refuse to marry until skids are launched and he shows good boundaries with skids once they launch. It’s the best of both worlds. Skids are way more respectful now because they realize what can happen when they f*ck up.

Runawayfiance's picture

I cant brlieve how difficilt it is to be remarried or find love with kids. If he makes me his number 1 he will Keep me. If he doesn't he can kiss me goodbye. Getting married under these circumstances will be a form of suicide.

Rainydaze777's picture

I had to leave because I was not going to be number one even though he swore up and down that I would be

Runawayfiance's picture

I love this man but considering SDs, I will move out for sure to regain the me I used to be. The only way I will stay with him  longterm is if he's willing to prioritize my needs as number 1 and reallocate arrangement with kids- he can do it if he really wants to. It's tricky but he can. If he makes me his number 1 - he will win my heart until old age. Otherwise, I've been selfless enough in my life, I refuse to get confined in a situation that will make me an unhealthy being. 

Survivingstephell's picture

Spend some time with the adult stepkid forum.  Nightmares abound in there and you will have a lot of examples to think about. 

hereiam's picture

You should trust your gut, you will regret it if you don't.

No, you cannot ask him to cut back the amount of time he has his children. You know that you can't.

Relationships never happen in a vacuum, so the fact that things are amazing when his kids aren't around is irrelevant. He will always have kids, even when the kids are adults. And adult step kids can be just as much of a nightmare as minor step kids.

Focus on yourself, your kids, your hobbies, your friends, whatever necessary to heal and move on.

lieutenant_dad's picture

A wife should be the #1 priority. Minor children are the #1 responsibility. What this means, in simple terms, are that your SO must meet the needs of his children above that of his wife's wants always and sometimes her needs (depending on the need), and he must put the needs and wants of his wife above the wants of his kids and sometimes their needs (depending on the severity of the need).

So, in this situation, your SO's kids NEED him to be a parent as frequently as possible. He has 50/50 custody. That need trumps your WANT for him to reduce his time. Your life will not be hindered if he spent less time with you - not in the grand scheme, anyway. His kids, however, NEED their father equally to their mother.

Now, your WANT for a peaceful home trumps your skids' want for a chaotic one. THAT is where your SO should be making changes and meeting your wants over his kids.

Ultimately, if it isn't what works for you, then leave. But asking him to sacrifice time with his children will only end your relationship - either now because it is an absurd request, or in the future as he and his kids resent you (and him) for making him choose. Asking him to make that choice isn't a viable option, and remember, if he stays, he may demand the same of you one day.

Runawayfiance's picture

Bottom line, he says he needs me to be a better dad, to guide him. He doesnt know how to parent, ever since i came into his life, he said things are so much better, organized, structured. Before meeting me he was contemplating on moving to a city 6 hours away - and coming back home on weekends to see his kids.... His mother also attested to how difficult it is for him, that she advised him a few times, that he changes the arrangement to weekends and one day a week... So I am not inventing this notion. 

The weekdays are hell,  he confessed that his daughters give hims extreme anxiety. 

ndc's picture

That's different.  If he decides for himself (or on the advice of his mother) that he can't handle 50/50, that's very much different from you requesting that he cut back his parenting time.  Even so, it wouldn't surprise me if his kids still blame you when they see their father less. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Let me preface this by saying that I am not pushing you to stay or leave. That decision is solely yours.

It is NOT your responsibility to make him a better dad. Now, that doesn't mean that your presence in his life doesn't come with that added bonus (my DH will tell everyone everyday that I make his life easier and better), but it is NOT your sole role and responsibility. He has to learn how to be a good dad on his own, or recognize that he isn't a good one and his kids are better off seeing him less.

Those decisions are on HIM. HE has to make them on his own. You can contemplate the risk versus reward of giving him input about his kids and his parenting, but anything you tell him should be advice or an opinion, not an ultimatum around "less time with the kids or lose me". There are just certain things you can't ask without imploding your relationship because the choices will breed resentment.

If he decides to see his kids less, then he has to make that decision on his own. You forcing him to choose won't bode well. If You want to leave, just leave. Don't make him choose this.

Runawayfiance's picture

So I spoke to him and he truly is torn as well.  Meantime, we will no longer cohabitate but stay together, which will bring me to the next post as a potential solution for our future... stay tuned 

Rags's picture

No need to allow his toxic spawn to ruin your relationship.  Set reasonable standards of behavior in the home, enforce the standards, and apply escalatingly unpleasant age appropriate consquenses for non compliance.

It matters not what the visitation schedule is.  The rules stand, the consquences stand.

As equity life partners you are both equity parents to any children in the home regardless of kid biology.  If he does not like how you parent and discipline he can step up and get it done before you have to and have your back until the two of you can discuss any related topics off line.

Kids do what they are told when they are told, they comply... or they suffer. 

Keep it simple.

The two of you and the marriage are the sole top priority within the blended family environment.  Kids never trump the spouses for the marriage as priority.  Kids are the top marital responsibility though never the top priority.  The marraige and each other come first. PERIOD!

While I am one to firmly direct these types of situations in my life... I do not and never have dictated that my bride not have her kid as much as possible.  In fact we purposely limited his time with the toothless moron toxic SpermClan to minimize their negative influence on him.  We never allowed extra visitation time and we never allowed them to make up missed time.  We forced compliance to the COd Custody/Visitation/Support order or we brought the pain.  I would not advise that you demand that he give up any of his parenting time.  I would demand and enforce compliance to household behavioral standards.  They either comply or they will over time limit their time at dad's.  Either way...  you win.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Runawayfiance's picture

Wise words. I dont have the health to take on his kids in my life. I'd rather be alone, focus on my kids and my career and a potential partner with no kids. My experience made me realize stepmothering is extremely damaging for my wellbeing, I have now disengaged from both my partner and his kids. Its driving him literally crazy, but I need to walk away. Long term, it will be better for his kids, they deserve a loving a stepmom in their lives. I am not it. I may find love with 1 man, but the added pressures from raising 3 SKs partners counters everything. If he was less of a mush and had more of a backbone, maybe it could have worked. I am saying goodbye to my soulmate for good.

Rags's picture

If you are saying goodbye.. he is not your soul mate.  Embrace the start of your new life adventure, enjoy your kids, and stay focused on the now and the future.  When you least expect it...  your true soul mate will be standing beside you and it will be seemless.

I applaud your self awareness and wish you the best of fortunes.

Runawayfiance's picture

I realized Step mothering is a whole new ball game I never want to play. I need my health my kids need my health and my career needs me to be strong. I'll enjoy taking an art class a new gym class! 

Runawayfiance's picture

Thank you all for the insight. Indeed as amazing it was to be in love with someone new I realized that he was not my soulmate. I realized that he was a great guy, someone who gave me a lot if love and comfort but not the man I was meant yo live the rest of my life. Stepparenting  is not easy. I got a taste of it for a brief few months. Second marriages/engagements  are so complex and j just want to say to all of you in this situation to fill your life with positive things. That it's also ok to live apart together and gain the right support until kids are launched. Any words of advice or reinforcement is appreciated.

Harry's picture

Second marriages are complex.  You only know the complexity of it, once you get involved. Never get a free time to play with your SO. You have the Ex in your life. Trying to make everyone happy as the same time everyone is trying to screw everything up. For there own benefit.  Good that you walked away, it’s was not going to work 

Runawayfiance's picture

Totally, now I got a taste of step motherhood. I believe I rather be single than be in this situation ever again. 

PushedOut's picture

Don’t do it. Enjoy him as a dating partner only. The expectation that you will have a loving devoted husband is going to blow up in your face one day in the most painful way. It has almost destroyed me. Every day I am trying to heal myself from the betrayals.

Don’t put your children through it, but most of all, don’t put yourself through it. 

I just posted yesterday about the other side of where you are. It’s horrible. The post is ‘Not getting over the pain’.

You don’t need it!!! 

Runawayfiance's picture

I left him. Sad Everything is blossoming in my life except my love life at this point. But I saved my health and realized he wasn't such a nice humble man I thought he was. Thanks for the tip

Irene H.'s picture

1. It’s only been a month. Everyone is still adjusting, including you. Give it a little more time.

2. Is your guy committed to making you the priority? When you get married, you take a vow that says forsaking all others, and that’s exactly what that means. I was a step kid. It only worked after my parents committed to each other in a way that meant we weren’t able to “divide and conquer” them. You need to know if he’s willing to back you up 100% - to the kids, to his ex, to anyone else in the picture - before you say I do.

3. Until or unless they pose an actual threat, or wreak so much havoc that they make you turn on each other, I don’t feel like it’s appropriate to ask him to cut back on time with his kids. I’ll be honest and say I don’t always want my Skids around, especially when they’re being jerks, which is literally 95% of the time, but I’d never seriously ask him to send them away. Hopefully the time never comes when he has to choose between you and them, but if it does, it’s best you’re not the one demanding that choice be made.

Runawayfiance's picture

Thank you for your comment. I have left him since. I must say it was a heartbreaking decision. But true colors came out as a result of it. Knowing I could not live with myself with the step-children was extremely detrimental to my health... I had to go.

I have grown a lot since. I became a better person as a result of this experience. The heart still aches when I think of what we had. I had to make an adult decision, and knowing he will always have a piece of my heart, a special place in my memories, I am glad I turned the page.  The fantasy was amazing while it lasted. But I trust Gd will guide me to the next and real partner for life. I was one of the lucky ones, I saved myself, I am now flourishing in my career and community and with my children.

ursula69's picture

Bravo, girl! You did the right thing. My mom was just as headstrong, and, god, I admire her. And you))

Runawayfiance's picture

It's been months since I left and after dating I see there really is not better out there. Sure he had his faults and yes I couldn't live with him and kids. Never would but  I'm second guessing myself and still love him and what we had. Thoughts?

Winterglow's picture

If you really want to continue with him, do it from the comfort of your own home. Keep your place and simply date him. No moving in. No "family meals" unless they're for special events, enjoy having a home of  your own and NOT being a stepmother. 

The alternative is to find a new, time-consuming activity and throw yourself into it. You may not have sufficiently occupied the place he took up in your mind since you broke up.

Rags's picture

IF he was the best available you would still be with him.  Since you haven't found the one yet, keep living your life well, be happy and when you least expect it, and you aren't  focusing on filling some void... THE one will enter you life and will have all of the best qualities of the guy you are missing, none of the faults, and a number of unique outstanding qualities of his own.

Don't settle.  Live your life.

Harry's picture

He could have his kids full time.  BM could died, run off with a BF saying here are your kids, she could get sick and not be able to take care of the kids.  Then what?  You can say put your kids in a half way house 

Runawayfiance's picture

It's been 6 months since our break up. How do I reach out to him? I'm the one who left him. A d if I ever find out he's been intimate with another I'd be heartbroken too.

Runawayfiance's picture

But our daughters love each other.