You are here

Should I get out??

Sweetscouser123's picture

This is my first time posting because I just feel like I have no one to speak to. I'll give you a bit of background info...
last year I caught my husband sleeping with another woman so we separated. Not long after I met my current boyfriend and one month later got pregnant. It was unplanned and I did not want the pregnancy. I even took the morning after pill but that failed on the one time we weren't careful and I booked many abortion appointments which I couldn't go through with. Anyway, we talked and decided we would give it a go and he got me and my two daughters (18 months and 4) a house. He has two children (5&6) well he has three but the mother has mental health issues and doesn't let my boyfriend have contact. Back to the point. I met his 2 children several times before we moved in together and whilst they are loud and very boisterous they are generally good kids.

They stay in our house every other weekend and the past few months my boyfriend has had to work each time his children are here. So I'm left looking after an 18 month old, a 4 year old and his 5 & 6 year old in addition to being 6 months pregnant. I'm beginning to resent his children coming here and my boyfriend. Each time his daughter comes she has nits and I spend time getting rid of them only for her to come back two weeks later. They are very demanding, always have to be sitting on my knee or near me and on the last few occasions they have been very cheeky basically telling me to shut up and that "I'm not the boss". I do shout at them and discipline them as I give them exactly the same rules and consequences as my own two children. They also wind my children up and I'm tired of my kids crying because his children have taken their toys or have teased them.
But I feel as though my boyfriend brushes off their behaviour and the fact that after a weekend with four young kids I'm tired and cranky. He even said tonight that it's clear I don't like his kids being here. I feel as though sometimes I want to explode at him! But I know if I did this I'd say things I didn't want to say in the heat of the moment. When I ask him not to work when His kids r here he says thing like "well don't be asking for bills to be paid".
Maybe the problem is that I feel unappreciated but I really hate his kids being here. I don't hate his kids, I just hate that they are in my life. And I know, my choice to be in this situation but I just feel so trapped and lonely.
I do love my boyfriend, I just feel like maybe I should get out before I feel worse. I can literally feel a knot in my stomach each time it's nearly out turn to have them like Monday morning dread when you go to work. Will this get easier??

Ssamantha's picture

Your boyfriend doesn't understand that it's not your job to babysit his children? I can understand once in a while, but every other weekend for a few months? He needs to change the schedule to a time when he actually spend time with them. It's pretty selfish to expect you to take this on especially when you're pregnant and the children are not behaving well.

I found the best thing for me in my situation when I was resentful of the kids was sitting down and explaining my point of view to my DH. I even disengaged and told him I'm not watching your children on the weekends when you have to work. Even then, we still needed help and we all went to family therapy. That helped tremendously. Things are not perfect, but they are 89.99% better. But, he needs to be able and willing to listen. If he's not, then it's not going to get better.

MJ's picture

Agreed, follow your gut...

One point that goes with the others about your guy supporting you.... we had a couple of sit-down family meetings spelling out some ground rules. We told the kids we will not tolerate the phrase "you are not my parent." We said to the kids that we KNOW who we are and we are THE ADULTS IN CHARGE OF THE HOUSEHOLD. In the same way that they are required to obey a teacher or the parent in a friend's home, they are required to obey whatever parent is in this house. If their bio parent is home they can default to that parent but they will, will, will be required to report to the other adult in the home in bio parent absence. You MUST have the respect of the child and the support of the partner for even a small chance at success in a stepfamily. Best Wishes.... Pray a lot and listen to your heart.

Orange County Ca's picture

The point of non-custodial parent visitation is to visit with the non-custodial parent. Duh. Tell him if he isn't going to be there then the kids are not going to be there either. They can stay with Mommy, Grandma etc., anywhere but with you. Insist on it. If he works things out so that he's at home when they visit insist that he do the entertaining and discipline. If you want to take it further then disengage. A explanation of that is below. And at the extreme you can leave but you say you do love the guy so I'd try to get him to respect your feelings and hinting and complaining hasn't worked. So put your foot down and tell him that he fixes this problem by the end of the month or you won't be there to babysit and you'll leave for the weekend to make the point in you have to.

http://steptogether.org/help.html

Generic's picture

Everything is happening too fast for everyone involved. Your children are so little and one on the way? Add in his little kids, and I'd have a nervous breakdown. Take yourself and your children out of that madhouse. Then don't even glance at a man for at least 5 more years since you are obviously insanely fertile.

Logistically I can't jut get up and leave. I have a lot of debt and no supportive family so the only option would be to hand my kids to their biological father and ask council about a hostel or something.
He was working last night and we exchanged texts and he basically thinks I hae a huge problem with his kids but it's not that. I have a huge problem with him expecting me to look after his kids. I just don't know what to do. I feel trapped in this situation with no way out.

PolyMom's picture

You should not feel or be alone in this. I watch DH's kids while he is at work, but he is 100% supportive of me, and corrects his children when they get out of control...which, mind you, ALL CHILDREN will do. Children test boundaries, it's completely natural and normal. It's the consequences the adults in their lives set up for them that make all the difference.

You have every right to feel in over your head. The good news for you is this: DH and I DID NOT start out perfectly when it came to blending. Nobody does, it's a learn-as-you-go process. It took time, patience and open communication to get to the point where he understands his kids are not my kids, not only from my point of view, but from theirs. They are never going to view SM with a clean slate of love.

Our situation was laced with jealousy and resentment from BM, for no other reason than we live better than she does...for no other reason than we make better decisions than she does. It got extremely difficult, and still is at times. But now, all of my issues are more child rearing issues; my relationship with them is just fine. It absolutely was not always that way. We started out well. Mom went nuts, and things got bad. It got to the point where I told DH he'd have to find a babysitter for his kids if he didn't get them under control, because I wasn't going to deal with hell in my life; that's why I got divorced the first time. And this was not without effort on my part. I had to spend real alone time with each of the skids, creating a more positive view of me to them. Now they understand I'm not this terrible succubus, but that there are legitimate reasons their father loves me, and it's okay for them to like me too.

Look at this from your SD's point of view: They are 5 and 6 years old, still babies themselves...and they go to daddy's house, where there are 2 smaller babies, that trump their cuteness factor living with him, not to mention another on the way. Where do they fit in with this family? Trust me, they are just as unhappy as you are with their visits. And the *wonderful* thing about kids, is they'll let you know just how unhappy they are, not by using words, but by making your life miserable while they're there.
You are pregnant, and have two babies of your own. But for the sake of everyone in your home, not to mention your own sanity, you are going to have to spend real time with each of them to get your relationship to a positive place. If you are dreading them coming to you, they are also dreading coming to you, and will act out on it. That is where you need the help and support of your BF. You cannot possibly be expected to give your skids the love and attention they deserve to start a good relationship with them without his help.

Blended families are tough. The require a very strong parental front. My advice to you is go get that with your BF. If he is going to take the position of "What? I work, that's my grown-up contribution" then I would pack up the kids and get out. If you don't have his support, or work together on making the time you have with his kids pleasant, you will be living in hell. It's not worth it to live that way. Again, no one starts this out perfectly, it is a bumpy ride, so just talk to him. If he's any kind of decent human being, he'll help you on this.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help Smile
But polymum I did find your advice spot on although it took me storming out of the house in a tantrum today telling my boyfriend I was leaving for good.
He wanted to talk and when I eventually calmed down and my children where at their dads and his kids went home we had a good chat just the two of us (he even muted the football lol).
It turns out he had issues with my children too and we discovered we needed to support each other. My children are very very loyal to both me and their biological father so they tend to ignore my boyfriend a lot and I didn't notice this until it was pointed out to me and it made him feel like a spare wheel. So we agreed to sing from the same hymn sheet and I said I will allow him to discipline and interact more with my children. While I was out, his children went home and told their mother id left. She calle my boyfriend and he explained everything to her so she agreed for us to have them one night per week rather than a whole weekend every other week and that way my boyfriend can work his shifts around seeing the kids and if on the rAre occasion he has to work through no other choice, I will only have to have them on my own for one night. He also said that he understands that it doesn't come naturally to fully interact with his children the way I do with mine and suggested rather than sitting in the house when all the kids r there we should all make an effort to go on days out and plan stuff in so it's more of a positive experience. One thing which melted my heart a little was that he doesn't like the way I say MY kids and HIS kids. He said he wants us to be a family and we should both try and view it as a joint effort of all the kids being OURS since were due to have a baby which will be a brother to all of them.
So what I've learned.....talk and if he doesn't listen keep trying.
I'm sure there are more posts from me to come but I'm happy at the resolution we have both come to.
Xx

PolyMom's picture

I'm so glad you two were able to work it out. As soon as "accidental pregnancy" became a possibility in my life, I went straight to the docs and got mirena so I can't subconsciously mess with it. I couldn't imagine how stressful it must be to be blending while you're pregnant...but then again, my ex was rubbing his affair in my face when I was last pregnant, so pregnancy and life stress are definitely not strangers to me...I just have no intention of ever doing that again! (Much like a root canal)

dpk's picture

What a bad situation that had the potential to get worse. Glad it worked out. Blending families can be obviously difficult and being pregnant apparently only makes it even more difficult. Good luck!

Rags's picture

MseeMdo,

There is no single model for successful relationships. The model is different for just about every couple.

For me it took 4 years after my divorce to remarry. My bride and met 38mos after my divorce was final and married 9mos later. We will celebrate our 20th this year. My bride had been single for about a year when we met. The Skid was 15mos old.

In the 3+ years after my divorce and prior to meeting my bride I was no hermit. I dated profusely. I knew that none of the women I dated during that time were keepers by any measure but dating and socializing was a healing process for me.

In blended family marriages I do not comprehend the mentality that a Sparent will not "baby sit" for their SOs kid. It is not baby sitting to watch a child that resides in your home and is YOUR Skid. They call that parenting.

Who would tolerate or want to be in a marriage where a spouse refuses to participate with children in the home? This is no more or less tolerable IMHO than tolerating toxic spawn in the home.

For clarification, I am a custodial Step Dad and my SS-21 was an only child in our home.

When I asked his mom to marry me I accepted the role as his dad. My bride and I are equity partners in our marriage and equity parents to children in our home regardless of biology.

So I parented, I disciplined, I supported and I participated.

That is what worked for us.