You are here

SD wearing DH's clothes..

katana127's picture

SD12 came home from school yesterday wearing one of DH's hoodies she never asked, just wore it. Shes done this before with a t shirt of his too. DH says its not a big deal but I find it extremely weird. Opinions? 

tog redux's picture

I don't think it's weird to prefer hoodies and t-shirts, I do myself - but my dad's clothes would have been way too big for me. If he's okay with it, no big deal. 

Jcksjj's picture

I find it odd. I wouldn't have ever worn my dads clothes either. Or my moms even.

SD here went through a period of having to wear every single day she was here either something of her moms or clothes that were from her moms and refusing to wear anything from our house to demonstrate in yet another way that her mom was better in us and I think also as a way for her to make sure her mom had kind of a presence in our house. So my mind immediately jumps to that it could be symbolizing something for her. 

It could also be that she just likes the sweatshirt and feels comfortable enough to just take it and wear it. I wouldnt have from my parents so I find it weird yeah, but you're the one who actually knows her and what would be consistent with her personality.

tog redux's picture

My parents never wore anything I'd have liked to borrow, except maybe the occasional dressing up situation, and with my mother's permission. 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

I don't think it's weird to borrow a shirt or hoodie. I was a YUGE Daddy's Girl. He would let me wear his jackets, his flannel shirts, his chooks, his gloves... It's not like she's wearing his intimates.

JBDmom's picture

My neighbors daughter wears nothing but her dads shirts because they’re really baggy on her. Recently they found out someone at school had called her fat so she didn’t want to wear anything that was even a little tight. 

Jcksjj's picture

Yeah I feel like this one is really hard to judge without more context because there could be a lot of different reasons.

Cover1W's picture

HA!  I used to borrow my dad's t-shirts now and then.  They were too big but that was the point back then.  He also had a sweater I borrowed and a nice leather jacket!  I just asked fist.

beebeel's picture

Oh boy. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when polyester shirts were super popular in the early 90s, I borrowed a few vintage gems from my dad's closet. Those things were fantastic, but my mom looked at me like I grew a third eye when she busted me. Dad just laughed. 

notasm3's picture

I'd have a problem if she was coming in my room and pawing through closets and drawers to find his things. My room even if I share it with DH is not fair game for random explorations by anyone that I do not give explicit permission. 

Kona_California's picture

Back in the 90s when I was in middle school it was super popular to have oversized t-shirts and hoodies, so I used to take my dad's too. The style is repeating itself for some reason (it's hideous really) so that could be why. I would suggest whoever is buying her clothes have her buy the oversize stuff she prefers. 

Rags's picture

A non issue.   

I wore an article of my dad's clothing on a few occassions when I was in my early to mid teens.  Particularly when he was on an extended business trip.  I missed him.  It helped me feel close to him.

If this is an isolated thing, it likely is a non issue.

SeeYouNever's picture

My SD and her annoying aunt do this. If DH lends them a hoodie they act like Doby when he got a sock, and the hoodie is as good as gone. 

Not weird though to borrow a parents' clothing, pretty normal.