You are here

O/T: I wish DH would surprise me once in a while

tofurkey's picture

I know this is O/T but I sooooooo wish DH would make the effort to surprise me once in a while. I surprise him with his favorite dinners, decide (unwillingly) where we are going to go to eat, plan vacations and location, buy him little presents from time to time (nothing big) and surprise him, painstakingly make sure that i keep his b.day and xmas presents a secret, might be waiting at home for him in some lingere, etc etc....

Point is, I put effort into having little surprises for him here and there. When we go on vacation, I ALWAYS end up doing all the planning. I don't want to! We are going TOGETHER, i would like to not plan it ALONE. And even when I try to call him over to the computer to take a look at some activity/hotel or whatever i found, he's completely disinterested. Soooooo I will reasearch and reasearch and plan for a vacation and I know all the fun hot spots and things we'll want to do, while the whole thing gets to be an exciting surprise for him.

Now Birthdays and Christmas....well he never has a clue what I get him, I don't ever drop hints or let him see bags or shape of present, etc. Him on the other hand, will buy a present while I'm still at the store with him. Then he will drop hints until the b.day or x-mas and if I hadn't already known what it was I will by the time it roles around.

When it comes to going out to dinner, OMG! It's like lets argue back and fourth until i'm not even hungry any more!

DH: So, where do you want to go to dinner tonight?
Me: I don't know, where do you want to go?
DH: I don't care, you pick
Me: But, I don't want to pick. You are taking me out to dinner, just surprise me!
DH: No, I want you to pick so you'll be happy
Me: But I want you to SURPRISE me....please just pick and I WILL be happy!
DH: I'm trying to do something nice and take you anywhere you want, is that so bad ?
Me: No, I'm not saying that, i'm just saying I would like it if you picked for us. Please!
DH: Well....I'll pick four and you chose from that!

And on and on....lol

It's like, if you are planning to take me out to dinner (which we don't do that often, I cook at home alot) then why don't you call and make reservations somewhere and surprise me?! THAT is what i'd like...I've told him time and time again that I would love it if he'd do that....nope, still hasn't been done.

Anybody else deal with this lack of initiative and decision making with their DH or SO?

steptwins's picture

YES! I was thinking the same thing. I do all the perky things for DH and although he says: thanks, he doesn't seem all that excited ever nor reciprocate w/surprising me. So I focus on my DD instead or her dog. The latter choice always gives the best (if not wettest) thanks. Yesterday I took a spontaneous vaca. day & went to the beach. Alone. Doing things I like: bike riding, swimming, napping.

tofurkey's picture

Yeah like you said it's not like i don't get a thanks or that he isn't appreciative, but i think the best way of thanking me would to be to give some in return!

tofurkey's picture

Haha I didn't even know! It's just really been getting to me lately. It's very frustrating! There seems to be nothing I can do or say to get him to make an effort in that area once in a while.