You are here

This is not how I wanted my life to be.....

Bcorinned's picture

Hi, 

This is my first post. I have read forums, but never commented or posted. A bit of background here...I have 4 children (24,22,18,17) with my late husband. My BF has 3 (13, 12,8) with ex wife. BF and I have 1 Diablo together. 8 children all together. 6 children live with us. We have lived together for 4 years. We have had multiple talks before we moved in about how it is going to be...such as rules, expectations, etc. BF has primary custody, Mon-Fri they are here and most of the summer. They go to their Moms Friday evening-Sunday evening. 

I said from the get go that I am not comfortable raising his 3. They have a mother. I didn't want to discipline or be responsible for them...other than the obvious safety issues or when BF wasn't there. 

We move in together and after the initial adjustment period...all that went out the window! I even quit my job to stay home with the kids because all 6 of them needed security. 

My kids are respectful to my BF...they basically leave everyone alone.  They are older so it's ok. BF doesn't push them to do stuff. Basically the 2 older ones are like roommate's....and it works. No drama. I take care of everything for my kids. Dr appointments, school, clothes shopping etc. I do this because I am their parent and I don't expect anyone else to take care of them. I thought this is the general way of life...you have children YOU take care of them

Now on to his kids. Constant lying for all of them. We are talking lying about brushing teeth, taking meds, wearing clean underwear etc. I had to micro manage them because they would lie about everything! BF was just taking their word on everything. Finally after 4 years, the 2 girls have stopped lying so much, thanks to me. The boy (13) is a whole other story. I honestly don't want to be in the same room as him. I won't go anywhere if hes going. I have talked to BF about getting him counseling, but he won't due to BM. If he takes him to counseling then BM has to be included and then it is pointless. 

Now, onto BM. There is no  communication between these two at all and BM just goes about doing things with the kids...important things like Dr appointments, school projects/meetings with teachers etc. She doesn't tell him about it till afterwards. She is causing drama with that almost every time she has the kids. She tells the kids things that she shouldn't and is not even true. She had the boy believing she can't afford the apartment and had to move in with a friend because of her paying child support, and blamed BF. Which is not true because she makes double what we do combined. There are other stuff too but this is long enough as it is

It is now 4 years later and this week was like the straw that broke the camels back. BF gets the kids every other holiday.  He was to get them last evening for July 4th. She texts him at 630 and said her car broke down and shes has to get it towed. Pick up time was 7...and she was in a town thats 45 minutes away. Long story short, BF looked at me and said if she isn't back by 830 then I have to pick up the kids. He didn't ask me, just told me.

I flipped out. I was so angry for a lot of different reasons but the main one was, he knows I HATE picking up and dropping off the kids. It is so bad even his own mother refuses to do it. I only do it in an emergency. Now, I would have done it, I was pissed but I still would have done it. I didnt like how he told me, not asked. He gets mad at me and we have a huge argument. He said he shouldn't have to ask and it shouldn't of been an issue at all. So he goes and tells her that he will get them after work today. And I've been treated like shit since. He blames me.

Then to top it all off...the girls come back with their hair cut to above the shoulders!!! BF has been growing their hair out long for over a year now and has told BM NOT to get it cut. 

I'm just done and I don't know what to do. I know this is a long post and if you made it this far, thank you. I needed to get it out. There is so much more...4 years worth...

When my husband died I was a young widow. I was 35. That was 7 years ago. I changed for the better. I appreciate people more, I want to be peaceful....but these past 4 years have been anything but that

Bcorinned's picture

Haha it came up as a devil! No my 6 year old is not a devil!! Hes actually a  pretty cool kid!

hellokitty's picture

Hi. Im new here too but figured I would reply.

I think you should detach a little bit. Like you said, they are not your kids so who cares if their hair is long or short or if they're wearing clean underwear? That is something their father should be concerned with , not you. Maybe I'm a bitch, but I don't get involved in these things at all. I would only get involved and "parent" a Step child if they were being disrespectful or hurting each other or my biokid.

Focus on your relationship with dh, treat his kids decently but don't get too involved. Life is much easier that way.

Bcorinned's picture

Thanks. If only it were that easy...I have tried that and BF gets angry with me. I can't ignore stuff because if i do he gets mad at me. If let him know stuff is going on, then he bitches at me and says "if you see it, deal with it, don't come running to me about it" Then the other issue is...he never sees anything or pays attention! It's a no win situation for me. 

Bcorinned's picture

Added note..I personally don't care about the hair. I only care in the extent of character, they were told to not let their mom get their hair cut and to say no and to throw a fit. They sat there and told their dad they would and no, they won't get their hair cut

Plus it brings tension in the house which I'm frankly sick of.

Bcorinned's picture

It goes on to the "say  do things at one parents, and opposite at other parents'" thing.

I'm not saying it's right. I hate how these two parent the kids. 

Merry's picture

So why do you stay? Your BF sounds like a control freak. TELLING his kids to throw a fit? That's nuts. It's just hair. 

He expects you to parent his kids, even when discussed in advance that you weren't going to be in that role. Well, it's easier for HIM if you parent them because he doesn't want to. Your mistake, and I'm just guessing here, was that you slowly took over the parental role because it was easier than waiting on him or arguing with him. Now you are the full-blown parental figure and you resent the hell out of it.

To him, now suddenly YOU are changing the game. As you should. But he doesn't want that because it's harder on HIM. He's being a selfish jerk.

I know I'd be setting some boundaries and deciding for myself what I would and would not do, and he can go have his hissy fit somewhere else. A couple of weeks ago my DH and I had a disagreement about how he thought I should handle something--it was MY thing to handle, and he wanted me to handle it HIS way. I finally told him in no uncertain terms that I would NOT be bullied into doing what he wanted me to do just to shut him up. DH is usually a gentle soul but this thing got under his skin and he wanted resolution HIS way. Nope, not happening. My point is that you need to be strong and independent and do what you know is right for yourself and your kids.

TwoOfUs's picture

This must be a very make thing. My DH will talk and talk and talk and talk a point to death until I'm just exhausted by it and "agree" with him just so he'll shut up. I hadn't thought of it as bullying behavior before...but that's exactly what it is. 

The sad thing is, DH also is more extroverted than I am and shares a lot...and he desparately wants me to share more with him. But why would I when he already doesn't listen to or believe the things and feelings that I do share? 

I mean...he has gotten much better. But early in our relationship...he just out-talked me into getting his way on everything. 

icanteven's picture

This is what my husband is like also. He even says I never told him some things, and I know I did tell him. He just never listens. Sometimes when I am talking about something very important, he interrupts me to change the subject to something not important. One example is when I was telling him I might get a promotion at work, and he interrupted me to tell me the grass in the yard is getting long.

The bullying until he gets what he wants is true also. My husband does this. He asks what I think about something. I tell him. He tells me why he thinks what I said is stupid and why I know nothing. Then I say, "OK, if you want to do it your way, we can." Then when it goes wrong, and it goes wrong a lot, he says, "Well, you wanted it this way!" and blames the whole thing on me even though I only agreed to do it his way because I know he will not stop pushing for it if I try to do anything else. I noticed this one week ago. Very strange. Men who do this are bullies. I agree with that.

Merry's picture

DH crossed a line with me when he expected me to take action in a certain way that wasn't comfortable or right for me. He can blather on all he wants about most things, and I do or do not engage. Works for us. But to try to force me to DO something in particular when I don't want to, oh hell no. Not this girl.

That's my point to OP. I suspect she feels forced into her role, and she's taken that on so that her DH won't be mad. Well, let him be mad. So what. Yes, it's unpleasant, but so is the current situation.

justmakingthebest's picture

I agree with Merry. You have gotten yourself trapped. You have a very controlling boyfriend. 

My Suggestions:

1. Get back into the work force. -- It will create space from the kids and allow you financial freedom.
  2. Disengage from the day to day fussing. They are your BF's kids and they aren't babies! The 8 yr old is the only one in that bunch that you might have to give extra reminders to. 
  3. Create a chart for flow- Shower times start at 7pm, each kid gets 15 mins in the bathroom. Child 1 at 7, child 2 720, child 3 740 child 4 8pm. All kids in bed by 8:30 - THE END. If you run a schedule that everyone has to obide by there are no excuses. 
  4. Don't sweat the small stuff! You will only stress yourself out.
  5. Don't ever put the kids in the middle. 

Rags's picture

As they say... insanity is doing the same things over and over again while expecting a different result. 

What can  you change to break the cycle that you are experiencing in the yours/mine/ours life you are living? 

A quick clarifying question... did your BF run to deal with the XW/BM's car break down?  Diablo

If so, hell no!  I get that he spawned with her, but... she is no longer his wife and her car problems are not his problem, the sure aren't your problem and he needs to stay the hell out of the rescuing his XW business.

While you and BF should certainly be equity life partners, that does not make you his beck and call resource in dealing with the logistics of facilitating the transport and visitation of his prior relationship children.

Set some boundaries, enforce those boundaries, do not tolerate volatile behavior or disrespect from your BF or his hids (or your own for that matter) and for sure get back in school so that you can take some control of your future.

My condolences on the loss of  your first husband.

Good luck and take care of  you.