You are here

Is this normal? My SD8 is just so weird

Accordn2L's picture

Ok I know you are not supposed to compare two children because even if they are biological siblings they can be very different in personality and rates of maturity. HOWEVER! My BD11 has always had lots of friends and participated in scouts, sports, theatre production, Girls in Action and since she started school has constantly been invited to birthday parties, sleepovers, and we have sleepovers at our house. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming with all the get togethers but I remember being the same way growing up and always spending time with friends. She can make friends in any situation and is really easy going. But my SD8 who as I have said many times is a weird kid to start with doesn't seem to have any friends or even relate to other kids. She is not a cute child and is really awkward (I know that is mean but it is the truth, not all kids are cute). Now she is very smart but is lacking in the common sense department. She can't do anything that other children her age do and my daughter and I have tried so hard to teach her these normal things and she always flips out and runs off crying to DAAAAADDDDDDY. I mean she can't ride a bike, she can't swim, she can't do a cartwheel, she can't take a shower unless the water is started for her and then someone has to come in and shut it off (which I refuse to do so DADDDDDDYYYY handles it) she JUST finally figured out how to tie her shoes because I stayed on her. But something I have noticed is in the two years we have all lived together she has never once been invited to another kids birthday party, a sleepover, nothing. I encouraged her to have a party for her birthday at our house and she said she would invite a few girls from school. I took her and we got some invitations and decorations and I let her pick a movie and what we would have to eat for dinner and snacks. I kept asking her if the girls had said if they could come because I never got an RSVP (rude because I sent the invites 2 weeks in advance) from them and she kept saying yes. Her birthday came and NO ONE showed up! She had basically no reaction about it either. I felt like crying because if that had been me as a kid I would have been devastated and I wanted her to have fun. I seriously think she doesn't have any friends. When we go to the pool my daughter put herself out there and made friends with a bunch of the kids ( I also took her for swim lessons when she was 2 and kept practicing with her and she swims on the swim team now every summer), not SD8, since she can't swim she just stays standing in the 3 ft section and talks to herself???? I offered to pay for the swim lessons the last two summers but SO asks her if she wants lessons instead of just making her take them and she says no, I can swim, well standing in 3ft of water bouncing and talking to yourself doesn't equal swimming. I have told SO this is strange to me and he always tells me that she is just her own person and to leave it alone. So I am asking you guys, is she just different than my kid and I shouldn't worry? Or is something wrong with her? BM is diagnosed bipolar and goes on and off her meds so you can imagine how much fun she is to deal with and so I can't talk to her about this because somehow it will be all my fault that I think her kid is weird.

JustAgirl42's picture

It sounds to me as though her parents didn't socialize her like you did with your daughter. This of course would make them very different, along with different personality traits. It's possible she could have inherited BP disorder from mom, but as of now it just sounds as though she's an introvert, which is fine as long as she's not suffering in other aspects of her life.

IMO.

Accordn2L's picture

I asked a girl that knows BM (they were neighbors at one time) and she told me that BM never had any friends when they were neighbors. They were friends on FB and she said BM was constantly having drama with other people and alienating herself. I think she is passing this on to her daughter. As I said I've always been really social so my child is too, and we always have friends over and family cookouts and even when it's family over SD8 will either be off by herself and not playing with her cousins or talking to people.

JustAgirl42's picture

Our BM is the same way. If it weren't for FDH and I taking her places and putting her in situations where she could meet people, she would still be too shy.

katielee's picture

My SD12 (soon to be 13) has the same problem. No friends whatsoever. Also, the "baby" act and wanting Daddyyyy to do stuff for her she should totally be able to do for herself. I don't understand it either, but I suspect it's some kind of throwback to when she was little and felt more "special" or something of that nature. She now stands 5'7 and the other day told me that doing the dishes was too hard for a "little munchkin" like herself. I almost blew a gasket.

Your SD's Daddyyyy is not doing her any favors by babying her like he does. One of these days she probably will want friends, but like my SD, she'll be so emotionally stunted that no one will want to be her friend.

Accordn2L's picture

katielee-

This is something I keep thinking about, the older she gets the more SHE is going to notice the differences between herself and other kids, not just between her and my BD11. I also don't want him to continue babying her and not trying to help her by always doing everything for her because I think to the future that this is just a recipe for this kid to never grow up and move out and be able to take care of herself.

JustAgirl42's picture

It is very possible that things could change in the next couple of years. My SD is ten, and at age eight she was closer to the way your SD is.

We started playing softball and soccer with her in the yard a lot and she really enjoyed it. She got to a point where she liked it so much than when suggested a few times, she agreed to join a soccer team. She was very nervous at first with all of the other kids, and having adults 'yell' at you, but she eventually realized that it was cool to play with kids her own age.

She now plays softball along with soccer, is the best player on each of her teams. and has friends that she is also close with in her school.

Is there something that your SD really enjoys doing that could be incorporated into a social setting that requires interaction?

Accordn2L's picture

We only have her 50/50 7 days on and 7 off. BM lives in another town about half an hour away. I have offered to sign her up for girlscouts, softball, Girls In Action, and because they meet each week BM said NOPE. She was not driving 30 minutes out of her way "for some stupid club". I even offered to go pick SD8 up and take her home after the event and BM said no to that too, she said I would be disrupting her time with her child. So BM refuses to let the kid do anything. SD8 has to come with us to my daughters events when they fall on the weeks she is with us and she sees how much fun the kids are having. SD8 will say things like it would be fun to do X too but my mom wouldn't allow it. So she is aware that I have tried multiple times. Sad

JustAgirl42's picture

We have SD 50/50 as well, but it's not week on - week off. We had problems with BM taking SD to practices, so we just took her when we had her.

arjuna79's picture

You know there might be a deeper neurological component here. (my professional expertise, not that this construes medical advice). Her difficulty with activities like bike riding, swimming, cartwheels can be a sign of gross motor development issues, where her brainstem circuits are simply not online properly for coordinating vision, balance and motion. And if those circuits are not online properly, those kids are unable to "mirror" someone else modeling the motion - there's no maps for that. And when those basic wiring functions are confusing, integrating higher processing skills such as social interactions are impaired. And parents are not usually clued into the signs of things like this, so they don't know how to interact or help her find her best processing cues.

Even the shoe-tying thing. I couldn't learn til I was 8 - I had brain damage from birth, UNDIAGNOSED, and was unable to recognize my right arm and hand as anything useful. I could not get my brain to move my hand in that coordinated fashion. I had terrible balance and motor coordination issues. Sometimes it's the WIRING not WILLFULLNESS!

Accordn2L's picture

arjuna79-should I suggest to SO that she be tested in some way for this? I've asked him about pediatrician visits and he always says "she's perfect". And like I said she is very smart as far as her school work goes and excels in academics. But everyday things that seem so easy she struggles with them and yes I am guilty of most of the time thinking she is just being lazy by not following the chore chart.

Her mother has 3 kids, three different daddies, and they all live in a two bedroom house with the new boyfriend and the 3rd kid was just born a few weeks ago. I wondered if some of her recent behavior might be attributed to no longer being "the baby" or the only girl. But mentioning counseling is like slapping SO in the face for some reason, he acts like I'm attacking his child when it's the total opposite, I really want to help her so she can grow to be a self reliant and happy adult.

arjuna79's picture

Y'know I realize we (SMs) are in an impossible position with these things - but the pediatrician might write her off as "perfect" because these motor skills are not questioned. If it was named as such, "she's got some balance and coordination issues, can't balance on a bike, etc" then a referral to a pediatric occupational therapist might be appropriate. I know that when the wiring's not right inside, managing the external home chaos like you describe above would generate defiant behaviors. our of sheer sensory overload that she may be unequipped to handle.

tabby yabba do's picture

My heart breaks for your SD8. I think you meant well (organizing a birthday party and sending invites) but in the end, all it did was humiliate SD8 and reinforce the fact she has limited social skills (either because she never passed the invitations out or she did, and everyone rejected her).

Let your DH raise her the way he sees fit, even if she is "weird." It seems SD8 isn't benefitting from anything you've done thusfar, and in fact, may have made things worse (bday party rejection and possible self-esteem crusher).

Support her, accept her and stop worrying. DH knows his kid best and ultimately SD8 will live the life she was meant to live with DH as her dad and BM as her mom.

Accordn2L's picture

tabby yabba do-

I didn't even consider that she didn't pass the invitations out. That could explain why not one parent contacted me about the party and also why she had no reaction to the kids not showing up, she may have known they wouldn't be coming because she didn't invite them...

I want the best for her and I am trying not to compare the two kids honestly, it's just such a noticable difference that it is hard at times not to look at them and not see it.

I just worry that SO has his blinders on because he just wants to think his child is perfectly normal like as parents we all want that. I guess I need to just step back and let him handle it, the only issue is we all live together and some of her behaviors affect all of us, not just him and her.

herewegoagain's picture

What's normal to you, is not normal to her. Pretty sick to call a kid weird…the kid is not bad, just different? What the hell? It's one thing if the kid was treating you like crap, but just because the kid doesn't like the same crap her sister likes? wow…I bet you were one of the popular girls who bullied the not so popular girls…huh?

Accordn2L's picture

Obviously you haven't read other things I've posted in regards to her misbehavior, meltdowns, hitting, total disrespect, stealing etc... I thought this was a place to come and vent and ask questions if you wanted other step-parents opinions. So I would appreciate you not pointing fingers at me when you don't know me. I am concerned about my SD8, I asked a question becuase it is worrying me. If you don't like my question then are not required to respond to it. And just because I find behaviors "weird" doesn't equal a bully.

Oh and because I wasn't familiar with your story, I went back and looked at your blog where you refer to you son as "lazy", MIL as "crazy", and your SD w/ 3 kids a "idiot loser". And yet you try to call me out for using the term "weird". Very interesting.

onthefence2's picture

I met my exSD when she was 6, and early on, we knew she was "weird." It didn't become very apparent to the BM until BMs children with hubby2 were so much more advanced at the same ages as SD. She and stepdad started evaluations on her, but once they found out it would cost $2500 it was dropped. She is now 21 and is barely able to live on her own. If it were up to her, she would still be living with her mom, working part time, and spending most of her time on the computer. She was forced to move out because her mom didn't want her influencing her younger kids. When she was 8, I got the first real picture that it wasn't just me, there really WAS something weird. We were playing in the front yard when the neighbor's cat got run over right in front of us. I was very upset, but not too disheveled to notice she was watching me like something was wrong with me for being upset. She had absolutely NO reaction. Nothing. It took me years to learn that her father is a psychopath. I'm not sure that's her problem, but they are SO much alike. My children now are 11 and 13 and they know something is weird with their sister as well. How many people were considered "weird" before they went out and got themselves on the news? I would let the little things go and only worry about larger issues. Really there is nothing you can do anyway. You don't need to point out things to her dad, because he sees for himself where your daughters are so different.

Accordn2L's picture

I noticed you said exSD, so you left? Are you glad you did? I go back and forth all the time about what to do. We are not married, we live together so I can ask him to leave (it's my house) at any time. She is with us 7 days on and 7 days off. The 7 days off used to be a wonderful time of joy for me, but now just the thought of her coming back ruins the week she isn't even there.

onthefence2's picture

I was married for 8 years, but yes, I've been divorced from him for 7 years. I now keep in touch with his first wife somewhat regularly. I did not leave because of the child, though. She was a small part of it, but I could tolerate her more than I could my exh's behavior. I had my own two kids (with him) to parent, and she was getting older, and I was learning how to disengage. I think it does get somewhat easier over time if you are able to let things go. What I did notice, though, is that what drove me more nuts about her than anything was the same behavior that she shared with her dad. So it was like living with him magnified when she was around. Try to put it in perspective...she "could" be so much worse and there are parents dealing with much worse everyday. I just watched a silly movie called "Girl Most Likely" on the Kindle. Watch it if you can. I think you will see why I recommend it. Her brother is very odd, but his family has embraced him and celebrates his uniqueness.

Accordn2L's picture

Should I have SO watch it too or just check this one out alone? I wish I could shake him sometimes and make him see what I see but he has blinders on when it comes to SD8

onthefence2's picture

Just you. He already accepts his daughter, you are the one struggling. It's WAY harder to accept other people's children.

Accordn2L's picture

Ok. I have already decided if this doesn't work out, whenever I am ready to date again I will not date men with children under 18 or that still live at home. It is clear to me I can not "mother" someone else's child especially since my SO thinks he should just love her to death instead of actually teaching her how to behave properly and life skills.

Accordn2L's picture

Sueu2-

She pretty much refuses to try to do something if she thinks it will be hard. I asked him about the bike riding and he gave me a lame excuse, later on he and my BD11 take her outside and have her all pumped up and excited. That lasted about two minutes and when she wasn't instantly good at it she threw the bike down ran in the house screaming bloody murder and hasn't touched the bike since. Of course SO babied her about it and didn't say let's try again because it takes time. I have said something about it several times that if she will practice a little bit then we can all go ride our bikes around the neighborhood together and it would be fun but she wants nothing to do with it. You may be right that she is scared of a lot of things.

Talking to my SO about his daughter has caused a wedge between us, when I went through my divorce my BD11 had some anger problems due to it and she and I did family counseling for a year and it helped us so much! I have suggested counseling for his daughter and him and he wants to hear nothing of it, to the point it's a sore issue. Can I make an appointment and take her to a child psychologist even though I'm not her parent? I'm sure he would freak out and BM would probably try to hunt me down for doing something like that but I didn't really think since I was not one of her parents I would be allowed to do anything like that.

Accordn2L's picture

Keekeedee-

Thank you very much! I will read the essay ASAP. I guess the best thing for me to do is just step back and focus on my daughter as you said and let him do what he feels right for his. I just wanted to give her the same set of life skills that I've worked very hard to do for my daughter. I was a divorced mother when my daughter was 2, I had gone from my parents house to my husbands house and never lived on my own. I was really thrown for a loop and over the last 9 years I have worked my A&& off to be the kind of woman my daughter could look up to and be proud and learn from. She is so strong and self-reliant and it makes me so proud. When my SD came into my life two years ago I wanted to give her all those same tools because I could tell she needed someone to help her with that. Her dad loves her of course but he has babied her so much and doesn't realize the negative effects of it. I never wanted my house to be yours and mine but I guess that is how it is headed since this is one thing we are not going to agree on. Thanks again!

AllySkoo's picture

This is one of the toughest things to me about being a smom - or a mom in general. You see that there's something going on, something you think you could improve, and you can't do anything about it.

For what it's worth, your SD will likely figure things out as she hits puberty. I was a socially awkward kid through grade school, but when I hit high school I found a group of really good friends (we're still friends some 25 years later!) and developed more social skills. By the time I hit college I could talk to anyone and socialize with the best of them. Wink My youngest SD was also like you describe, in that she NEVER wanted to try anything she didn't already know she could do. When DH made her try things anyway she got incredibly frustrated and angry when she didn't do it perfectly within minutes. She grew out of that too when she hit high school. In fact, my bio daughter who's 2 seems to be the same. My son practiced climbing out of his crib for weeks, with the expected falls, until he could do it. My daughter? One day she just started doing it like she'd been practicing for months - she waiting until she KNEW she could do it before she tried.

She's different, yes, but not really "weird". At least I don't think so. Smile Honestly, I'd leave it alone and don't push her on stuff that's non-essential.

The only thing you *might* want to do is call her pediatrician just before her next appointment (I'm assuming Dad takes her?) and tell him about the gross motor issues. Let him know that you have concerns, but that your DH is resistant to hearing you. He can discretely have her perform some gross-motor exercises at her appointment and talk to DH about the results - leaving YOU out of it, since DH isn't listening to you. He'd likely be more receptive to hearing the doctor tell him how to help his daughter.

HeavenOnlyKnows's picture

I honestly don't think her lack of a social life is anything for you to be concerned with, as long as she doesn't seem unhappy about not having friends. I also didn't have many friends growing up, didn't ever learn how to ride a bike, and I still can't do a cartwheel- who cares? I am a naturally introverted person and even as an adult I LOVE spending time alone and would much rather hang out with my cat at home than go out and socialize. It sounds like your skid is the same way- and that's okay! If she seems unhappy without friends then yes it is a problem, but if she's content in her own little world doing her own thing then let her. Not everyone needs or wants to be surrounded with a lot of friends and activities, it doesn't mean she has issues just because she's not as social as you and your daughter.

Accordn2L's picture

I know BM is not social at all and like you said, maybe that is how SD8 is going to be as well. I guess I just have trouble relating to not having friends and being introverted but lots of people are that way and happy that way.

Sweet Olive's picture

I feel your pain, my SD13 has always been on the socially introverted/awkward side. I still get frustrated when I see her behavior around the few friends she does have, very selfish & unconcerned with their feelings or needs. I try in vain to steer her in the right direction, but she is who she is.

Luckily, my DH can see that she isn't exactly a social butterfly (which is fine) and he tries to guide her as well. I am slowly realizing and accepting the her BM has a far deeper influence than I do and she just might become just like her BM (obese and anti-social). I am trying to let go. I see little signs of improvement and then she's back on the lazy, anti-social track. Very frustrating to witness.

Orange County Ca's picture

Something is wrong with her brain. With a professional evaluation she could get the help she needs in socializing. To fail to do so is abuse in my opinion no different from not getting a broken arm set.

There are a myriad of conditions where people don't recognize facial and body communication for instance. Although very smart, genius at times, the condition leaves them crippled in every day life making jobs difficult to hold and marriage impossible.

Do some on-line research on Asperger's and similar brain disorders and see if you can find something you can print out and show to Daddy. If he still refuses then its out of your hands.

Orange County Ca's picture

The brain is incredibly complex so don't expect to find an exact match. It's not like a sore throat. You have a infection or you don't. But if you can find a condition or mix of conditions which proves she needs help then you've done the job. All you're trying to do is get Daddy to have a professional evaluation done.

Can you see the school counselor or nurse or whatever? Perhaps they can observe her closely for awhile and then give their opinion directly to Daddy without invoking your name.

amber3902's picture

My exBF's son was very much like your SD8, very smart but socially inept. We had the same situation with a birthday party for him. His dad invited everyone in his class, but only one kid from his class showed up. And in this situation, there was no doubt that the invitations were passed out, biodad had given the invitations to the teacher to be sure every kid got one.

Thank goodness my two girls and my friend brought her two sons to the party. Even so, exBF's son didn't want to play with any of the kids. My friend's son even volunteered to be "it" so they could play tag, but exBF's son didn't want to play.

I felt bad for the boy, but he didn't seem to notice or even care. Part of it was because biodad didn't get his son involved in things. I told him he should put him in boy scouts and he made some lame excuse as to why he couldn't. But also part of it was the son, he was spoiled, didn't play well with others, and didn't want to share his toys. Being an only child didn't help things either.

Maybe you can find something she's interested in to bring her out of her shell.

While not everyone needs to be a social butterfly, it is important she learn how to communicate and get along with others. Social skills are important to learn because it will affect her in life when she has a relationship or when she tries to get a job.

Rags's picture

My SS had similar behaviors to your SD-8 until late in 8th grade when he blossomed socially.

He had very few friends. The neighborhood kids tried to include him but gave up after too many years of SS being a cry baby. I remember one specific incident when the younger brother of some of my SSs' neighborhood classmates threw the football down, huffed, and said loudly "Oh My God! Is he crying again?". That incident combined with an incident with his band teacher a couple of weeks later just about completely turned my Skid in to a shut in except with his cousins and my family. Even his Sperm Clan notably shunned him during Sperm Land visitations as the younger sperm idiot spawned also out of wedlock half sibs came along and got older.

The band teacher snapped at my Skid one day late in 6th grade that "there is nothing remotely appealing about your behavior our you what so ever." Though not professional I agreed entirely with the band teacher's comments and even my DW had to counsel SS that there is a reason why he has no friends and not many people liked him.

We moved a year or so later and during the last grading period of 8th grade at his last middle school the Skid became socially very accepted and active and stayed that way through HS. He attended 3 different high schools and was popular and active socially at all three. He still drove his mom and I nucking futz but the kids at school and all of his teachers loved him. :? Wink He even became an award winning high school musician and commented once when he won a regional award "My Hopewell band director was an asshole and I knew he was wrong."

His mom and I both laughed at that comment then I had to tell him "No son. Your band teacher was right. You have come a long way since then."

He just completed the third year of his initial 6 year USAF enlistment, is very well liked by his co-workers and leadership, is very socially active, does all kinds of charitable group activities (Habitat for Humanity, JDF runs, call a ride designated driver service, etc....) and is doing very well professionally. He is also working on his BSCS and has a strong set of friends in college too.

This may be nothing more than a pre-teen girl being very awkward which is not uncommon. She very well may be one of those ugly ducklings who will be a stunning beauty. My bride was a very scrawny, gawky, nerdy kid who became a high school hottie and just becomes more beautiful and confident as she gets older. At her 20th HS reunion last summer several of her male classmates approached me with their tales of unrequited crushes on my wife when they were in school together. "You are a lucky guy. She is so beautiful. I had a huge crush on her in grade/middle/high school but I was too shy to ask her out."

I have seen all of the pics. She was abeautiful baby and an adorable toddler but was not a cute little girl or pre and early teen at all. But she was smokin hot in high school. She was not extremely popular though and being a 16yo teen mom did not help with that but she was a beauty, very smart, did well in school, had a reasonable group of good friends, etc… Her parents being very low income did not help with her social standing back then. Interestingly at her 20th reunion very few people other than her close friends even remembered she had been pregnant or had a kid in HS.

20 years, college, grad school, being a successful CPA have just built on that beginning.

Good luck with your SD.

Rhinodad's picture

My SD7 has a lot of the same issues - can't ride a bike, can't swim, can't do a cartwheel, can barely tie her shoes (and only because I kept forcing DW to work with her on it), needs the shower/bath started for her, told when to wash up, told when to get out, etc. Her parents have perpetuated this behavior. Only now is DW getting to the point where she's had enough of her almost 8-year-old acting like a baby and is putting her foot down. This has lead to some meltdowns here,

SD7 doesn't have a problem socially, at least not in a not-wanting-friends way. Her issue is that she is incredibly bossy to the point where her friends tell her they don't want to be her friend anymore. As soon as that happens, its the waterworks for 24 hours. The other issue is that SD7 has trouble with doing anything a friend tells her to do, because she just wants friends - she has yet to distinguish between good friends and bad friends.

Accordn2L's picture

My daughter is 11 and her father and I split when she was 2. It has been her and I for about 9 years and we are both outgoing and "tough cookies". She has never been a quitter, whiny, scared. I've always taught her to put herself out there, be the best she can be, and even if she fails at something once not to give up becuase at least she tried! Life is not fair and I've taught her that, but life is what you make of it. I know that I have taught her self respect, self reliance, to treat people the way she wants to be treated, to be giving, and to be the best self she can be. I am by no means a perfect parent, I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I know I have a good kid. So many people, teachers, parents of fellow students, neighbors, etc... always comment on what a good kid she is, how smart, good manners, etc... the things that make a mother so proud. And then now my SD8 comes into our lives and those same people ask me, what's wrong with SD8? Why doesn't she play with the other kids? Why does she stare at your blankly if you speak to her? Why does she do this or that? It's almost embarrassing for me because what I really want to say is BM is a F-d up POS who ignores her when she has her and when she's with us my SO babies her and is helping her to grow into the entitled victim her mother is. He is a good guy, but he is a stupid father. The funny thing is, he is the complete opposite with my daughter. He cheers her own when being brave and trying new things, he always comments on how well she did this or that, but then when it comes to his kid, he won't "push" her to try anything. I swear I think he would still wipe her "boogies" if I wasn't around!

OMG_Why_Me's picture

this sounds so much like my SS13. No friends, definitely one that would have been called "weird" when I was in school. He has no social skills at all, which is really strange since he was in day care for the first 9 years of his life. He has been diagnosed with ADHD but as an educator specializing in special education I believe there's more going on with him than ADHD. I believe he has Aspergers. He has, from my opinion, several of the characteristics definied on the spectrume. I feel your pain, especially when you feel in your gut something's not right. unfortunately you don't have DH's backing. which means, there's really nothing you can do. My SO wouldn't allow his son to be tested. I spent 4 years showing him evidence of my concerns, so he and BM agreed to take him to be tested. They took him to someone but didn't disclose all information so the diagnosis isn't accurate. O well.

I just allow the BM and BD to make the decisions with their child and have accepted the facts...."It's not my child, not my problem." Good luck.

Accordn2L's picture

BM has 3 kids 3 baby daddies. Now BM was actually married to my SO so she is not the product of the affair, but kid 1 and kid 3 are. I feel almost certain SD8 gets ignored at BM's house. Kid 1 is her first born and a boy, I've seen the way she treats him like he could shit out a golden egg at any moment and he is a extremely attractive child even though he is very stunted in school, but BM only cares about exterior so she ignores that part. Then kid 3 is only a month old and is fathered by Thug Life boyfriend and it's his first child so BM and TL are extremely doting on this new baby. That leaves SD8 who as I have mentioned is not a pretty child, very awkward, and very annoying and "needy". My guess is she is so "needy" at my house for attention because she isn't getting it at BM's house. HOWEVER that still doesn't make it ok for SO to enable baby behavior and let it slide when she misbehaves.