You are here

New Member...Need Advice

SoonerGrad's picture

I feel awful, but I don't like my boyfriend's daughter (she's 6). I myself have a 4 year old son. We have been talking about getting engaged and I feel like maybe we shouldn't since I not particularly fond of her. She is for the most part well-behaved, smart, musical...and yet I just don't really like her. For one, I feel like whenever I'm around she hangs on my BF and I understand that she's used to having him all to herself. Ultimately I don't want to feel like I need to compete for attention. I will always yield to a child, since I understand that this must be difficult for her. On the inside though, I feel jealous! Isn't that absurd? Then I feel guilty for feeling jealous of a 6 year old. Additionally, she has on a few occasions reminded me that I am not her mother (once for telling her not to play around the hot stove & once for saying she couldn't bring a large stick in the car with us)...which again, i understand is normal for a child to do, but it hurts a bit nonetheless. I find myself dreading weekends when the 4 of us get together. She also has a habit of crying a lot...my son doesn't really do this so I don't really know what to make of it. A couple of weeks ago she wanted to practice riding her bike without her training wheels and my BF proceeded to help her try to do it. She, of course, couldn't stay up long...and bawled after each attempt. This happened at least 7-10 times in a period of 20 minutes. I can't recall a visit I've had with her where she didn't cry and mope at least once. I understand this is probably a function of how she deals with stress...and again I don't want to sound harsh...but I don't enjoy being around high drama or emotionally charged situations...so most of the time I would rather not spend time with my BF if she is around. Which causes a major problem when thinking about getting married. I guess I'm just wondering if this kind of thing changes? As it now stands, I don't love her...and I don't know if I ever will. Would it even be wise to marry her father under these conditions? The worst part is I wish and have tried to change how i feel...any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

unhappy2happy's picture

I can only tell you my experiences, when the Skids were little I loved being their SM... And I grew to love them both.. I adore my SS, he will be 20 next month, my SD I love she is now 21 yet I do not always like her, or how she treats me. Being a step parent can be very rewarding, Yet brace yourself there is always high drama when you are the SM... Most of the time at least in my situation, the Drama leads back to the Birth mother... And as much as I love my husband, I would not marry him again, if I had the chance to do it again.

She is so young, and probably misses her daddy.. She is too little to understand the situation.. But if you show her love and have patience with her I believe she will love you back...

Your soon to be must stand up for you, when she says you are not my mom... He needs to handle it... Explain to her you don't want to be her mom but he does expect her to be nice to you.. All children step or not come with drama...

The reason I feel the way I do is that I handled everything, the ex, the smart mouth kids, mine and his. He does not like conflict. And I don't care who's kids they are, your child, his child or your future children there is drama, fighting, and conflict. And there is also love. But unless he really has your back so to speak your relationship will suffer...

confused and tired's picture

i realy like your posithive attitude about you step children. It worries me when you say you would not marry him again. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to marry my fiance or not because he has to children. I don't like his daughter.

Thetis's picture

On the inside though, I feel jealous! Isn't that absurd?

lol Welcome to step parenting. Every emotion feels either wrong or stolen. There are some really great books out there and sites that can give professional advice.

If she wasn't hanging off of your future husband as much could you love her more?
If she wasn't throwing the fact that you're not her mother into your face could you love her more?
If she didn't whine or cry as much for the attention could you love her more?

All of these issues can be fixed with co-operation from your spouse. All it takes is some communication, boundaries and house rules. How much support do you have from your spouse?