You are here

Need help managing expectations

yogamama's picture

First post here. Stepmom to 4 SD 11, 14, 16 and 19. One BS age 4. Been a stepmom for almost 10 years. We get them for holidays and summers and once a month for the weekend. I am really struggling with how to manage the adjustment when they visit. They are respectful towards me. My husband tells me they get sad when I disappear all night during the visit and they enjoy my company. But I feel deeply unwanted and invisible. I feel like I don't matter, like my opinions don't matter as much as theirs do, and I generally feel like sloppy seconds and like I'm just a convenient replacement for the ex vs someone he genuinely loves and appreciates for who I am as a person.

He's a bit of a Disney dad and my spouse is also severely ADHD so he struggles with taking initiative and generally being responsible). It hurts so much to see how much more effort he makes when the kids are here vs when they aren't here. He apologizes for never planning dinner in our daily life, even though I set a reminder for him to prompt him to think about it early enough that day. The entire time they have been here, he's not once "lost track of time" and messed up planning dinner. He just made a super elaborate meal that he would never go through the trouble of making when it's just us and the BS4 here. 

It's not just meal planning. I also don't exist, I can't pull him to the side for a quick administrative conversation as is necessary for two adults to run a household together. He doesn't carve out ANY 1:1 time for the marriage when they are here unless I make him do so. This will be 7 days having them and he's not even tried to carve out a space for us to be intimate. It makes me feel like **** to be with someone that is so focused on his children that he doesn't want to create even a little space for us as a couple. 

I do spend a lot of time off to myself because it hurts seeing how much more he cares for them and how much more effort he shows for them, and also for the benefit of the kids so they can have 1:1 time with their dad. It feels like I can't ask for anything, I can't have any needs, I feel like I should be on the sidelines. He tells me I shouldn't feel that way but when he doesn't proactively include me, I do. Even after all these years. When he doesn't even want to steal 15 minutes to visit with me, I feel worthless to him. 

I should clarify when we have them for the weekend, I have no expectation of personal time because that's not much time but for an entire week I don't think it's normal for everything to revolve around the children. And I can't talk about this with him in a way he can understand. He doesn't hear me. He also acts like the kids want to be with him 24/7 and they are teenagers, so that's just not true. I feel like he wants to be available for his own ego more than their actual needs, because ultimately what kids need to see is a stable relationship and him pushing our marriage into the ground doesn't really show them that. 

So I don't know what to do. I love these kids but every time they come he becomes a person that I don't like, and he neglects the hell out of our marriage, and most of the time he's fairly neglectful but when they visit I see what he is capable of (much more than he does on the regular) and it drives a dagger through my heart.

I told him we need to see a couples counselor about this because he's not listening to me. But perhaps someone here has other ideas. Every time they come I end up feeling so unworthy, and it's not like I expect him to cater to me 24/7 either but wanting to spend 15 minutes with your partner to keep your marriage healthy seems like a no brainer to me. Because he doesn't choose to do that, it feels like I don't really matter and I'm just here to finance these visits (he's been unemployed or underemployed for most of our marriage). He doesn't expect me to "babysit" or wait on them, but everything else kind of sucks for me. Help?

GrudgingSM's picture

So I know that when we end up on this site, we've hit a wall, but nothing about your relationship sounds good here. It sounds like your partner doesn't contribute financially, and in fact you foot the bill for his children's visits. He doesn't meal plan or do things that are proactive about chores, which is wild if he's unemployed because you shouldn't be working all day and coming home to someone who's been home all day but who hasn't washed a dish or prepared a meal. And he doesn't prioritize you physically or emotionally. And I'm glad he doesn't ask you to babysit because dang, he's home all the time already! And it sounds like he's obsessed with spending every second with them. Also, I want to point out that it's wild that the KIDS are saying "hey, we miss you at night". NOT YOUR DH. He's not the one saying "I really want to have a movie night with the kids when they're here, but I'd love it if you'd snuggle up with me". What is the appeal of this man???

I'm glad you've already communicated that you have to go to counseling, because you HAVE to, and your partner has to show genuine change, and you have to have boundaries you will stand by. If he needs to make dinner Tuesday and Thursdays, then that's his responsibility. Don't cave and end up doing it for him. And he can totally set reminders on his phone or something! If you weren't married, what would he do? He'd remember he needed to cook dinner eventually! He needs to contribute to both your household and your marriage, because right now it doesn't sound like he is living up to his end of the bargain. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I would also suggest counseling. He doesn't sound like he's being a good husband. It would be one thing to roll out the red carpet if they don't visit that often, but summers, holidays, and one weekend a month is enough that there has to be a balance. He sounds like he barely meets standards when they aren't there. 

yogamama's picture

Thanks to you both. I should clarify that I have helped him start retraining for a new job. He parents the BS4 most of the day saving me tons of money on daycare. He will cook if I ask. He generally cleans up after himself and BS4 during the day. He makes all the kids help clean up after dinner. He's got ADHD but I don't know how much if this is really from ADHD and how much is just he doesn't respect me like I deserve so he doesn't try that hard. My marriage has always been kind of crappy. Seeing how awful so many blended families are, I don't know if I could ever remarry if I eventually leave. I just want to not feel neglected. I don't ask for very much. He treats me like I'm wrong for wanting to be part of his decision making from a place of love. He considers me in his decisions but not out of love so much as not wanting to hear me complain if he doesn't. I don't think my husband understands how bad a partner he is or if he does then he doesn't care. It hurts to think like that. 

But yeah, the sex is off, he's not working, and I don't feel taken care of emotionally which is the main reason I married him. Right now I'm mostly here bc I don't want to pay him child support. I do love him. When I'm not pointing out what's wrong with the relationship he does treat me pretty well in the day to day. Just no romance, wooing me for sex is too much trouble, no date nights. Ugh, writing all this out I wonder what the hell I'm doing here and why I'm settling for crumbs like this. 

Winterglow's picture

Has it occurred to you that maybe the kids miss you because they're sick of having their dad on their backs all the time? 

Youi're thinking of counselling... good. I think you should have started counselling years ago and you may not have ended up in this dreadful situation. However, as we all know, hindsight is always 20/120. Smile I really do think you should go though, even if it's only to say that you truly tried everything. If it helps, it helps, if it doesn't at least you can leave this relationship with a clear conscience.

How long have you been married, btw? How close are you to the magical 10 years (where he could be awarded spousal support)?

tog redux's picture

OP, can I guess that you went into this as a bit of a caregiver for your DH, willing to help him out in the areas that he struggled - and now you resent him for that?  A lot of us women easily take on caring for men and overfunctioning for them (me included). This guy sounds like he's barely able to function as an adult in most situations - work, his marriage most notably. 

My DH has ADHD (I think, not diagnosed), and he's definitely forgetful and disorganized. I pick up the slack in some areas because of that. But he functions well in his job and is a loving partner who doesn't "forget" to show me how much he cares.

I would suggest you stop paying for his kids to visit - let him get a job and pay for that himself. And that you go to counseling yourself if he won't go with you.  Maybe if you stop enabling his lifestyle, he will want to improve himself in order to keep you and see his kids.  The only kid you are obligated to support is BS4, and if you are thinking of leaving, I'd stop supporting the rest and him, too.

Make it clear that you don't agree with him being a SAHD, and even take the money you use on his kids and put it towards daycare for BS, so when you go to court, you can show that he refused to work, not that you agreed to him staying home. That might help you avoid spousal support.  And if you get majority custody and are the custodial parent, you likely won't owe him child support (depending on your state's laws).  That should be easy to get given his non-functioning as a grown-up.

yogamama's picture

Yeah in a sense I started out as a caregiver but a reluctant one. He hid his level of dysfunction until we were married. With ADHD they often hyperfocus on a new partner and often the act of marriage makes that hyperfocusing stop. There are a lot of people out there married to someone with ADHD who went through a huge shock when that person stopped focusing on them like they did in the beginning. At that point I saw his real functioning. The hyperfocus also gave his brain more dopamine so he was genuinely better able to function before it all disappeared. 

Anyway. It is hard to draw such hard lines but you're probably right that I need to. We do have plans to get BS4 back into daycare. We had to take him out due to the pandemic. 

I do change the type of groceries I get when we have the kids. My money so they can have generic stuff, and if we run out of the milk they like then they can use the cheap almond milk until they go back to moms house. It's nice having a space where I can talk like that and not be chided for being selfish. Sorry but suddenly having 3-4 more kids in the house means they eat a ton of food compared to what I am used to and no I don't want to just get more fresh fruit because they ate it all when my spouse isn't contributing financially and isn't making an effort to treat me like the queen I am. 

tog redux's picture

It's not the slightest bit selfish to not want to support someone else's children. He seems to feel entitled to your financial support, which he's not. Perhaps if he couldn't see his kids because he had no money, he'd get a job.

He's the selfish one.

I don't know if I agree about your feelings about him hyperfocusing on you at first and then stopping. That sounds more like something a personality disordered person would do, not ADHD.

yogamama's picture

I don't know if we can link external stuff here but the hyperfocus courtship followed by feeling dropped to the ground once the novelty is gone has been reported by many partners of people with ADHD. It is very common. 

hereiam's picture

A lot of people without ADHD also do this, it's called "bait and switch". It's a form of manipulation.

Step away from me's picture

I agree with your thoughts on ADHD and hyper focus. My SO definitely has undiagnosed ADHD. Once my SO thought he had won me over I was then dropped faster than a piano falling from the sky when he moved on to another burning interest.

I couldn't understand why he had changed so much until I met his son who has been diagnosed as having ADHD and I read up on it. Good luck unfortunately I am painfully aware of how bad this all feels. 

RPS67's picture

Has ADHD and sounds similar to your husband. He has never been on meds but I think should be. I'm pretty sure he has other issues, too, but I also experienced that total change once he "had" me! From that point on, our relationship was filled with lies, bad behavior and devoid of intimacy.

He has older kids that would come visit for several hours each weekend and during that time, he treated me like the hired help. I was supposed to cook for everyone and finance outings but he felt totally fine ignoring me otherwise. The only thing that changed it was his kids deciding they didn't want to have any visitation with him.

ADHD isn't always bad but it needs to be managed by the person with it. My DH also has ADHD and is medicated. He still has some ADHD behaviors, like telling me the most random facts, which I actually love. But the challenging behavior is minimal, either because of the meds or because he's dealt with this for some long that he has coping strategies. And thank heavens, we never had that change once we were married -- he's still the sweet, attentive, loving man he's always been.

You don't deserve to be treated like you don't matter when the kids are there and you know it. It's also not good for your DS to see how you're being treated.