You are here

Need advice on BS Plz !!

stired_crazy's picture

Thank you for reading this and I will try and make this as short as I can, but I need some sound advice from parents thats are or have been in shoes!

I have a BS who is 19, The past 5 years have been a VERY rough road with my son, this subject is not easy for me to talk about but I am driving myself insane and I need some outside counsil.

My son got hooked on xanex, couple times he blacked out and dont remember things he did, for 5 years I thought all the worst scenarios a mother could think of, during this period my son got into trouble, ended up on probation and violated, ordered by a judge to a program instead of prison and he got kicked out, then he was put on house arrest this last time and violated and now he has been in prison.

The States attorney wanted to give him 3 to 5 years, but on that day of court the States Attorney was not there and they had a
fill-in guy, anyways, because of that by the grace of God he received a year and 12 days, already 6 months served from being picked up on previous charges of violations, now my son is being released Next month and I am nervous and fearful and I do not know what to exspect.

My son is A.D.H.D & A.D.D so this is where it does not help either with all those compulsive choices he made in his life, he was taking Concerta for it but when I found out about his xanex useage I pulled it because of Chemical mixture.

Now my son has a record, and it is going to be hard for him to find a job, In his letters he tells me he hated it there and it is worse then jail and all that stuff you would hear from anyone you know in there. I just don't know what to do, I know prison saved his life, and altho its sounds awful to say but it was kinda peace of mind for me because I did not have to worry about where he was at and what he was doing, Now I am feeling this anxiety all over again, and its stressen me out..I am having a hard time getting a grip on my fears and emotions and I need some good advice.

When my son is on pills it changes him, he becomes distant from me and yes it has caused my issues in my relationship with my BF.
Grant it his son is no prize( they are actually about the same) and we support eachother, but I need to get a grip on myself and I do not know how to handle this within myself!

Jsmom's picture

You need to look at therapy for yourself and some type of therapy for him. What steps are in place for him not to fall back into the drug use? Sounds like a lot of rules and discussions need to happen so he can get to a good place.

Good luck...

stired_crazy's picture

RE: YBARRA357

I am sorry I was not more specific, yes I want him to come back home to me but my concern is we live in toen and this is where he got into all his trouble, old friends and habbits and in trouble for that matter.

I am fearful because I do not know what to exspect, for 5 years all I did was cry and worry because he came close OD and staying gone for a couple days at a time. He is now considered a adult and when he gets out he will no longer be on any paper, will be free.

I am scared he will go back to the way he was and I do not know how to handle that, as before I would report to his P.O if he was getting high, I use to beg the police to please pick him up because I was afraid the police would be knocking at my door sometime in the middle of the night telling me the worse.

I want to help him, be a stepping stone and support him, but I am so very worried that it wont be long and he will be out getting high again.

What really triggered me off was this past weekend I went to a friends funeral for her son who just turned 20, I never met him but knew his parents. My mother told me not long ago how their oldest son looked and acted just like my BS( this was before he got in accident and passed).

Anyways, I attended the funeral but sat in the very back, from where I sat I could see him and I could not believe how he looked like my sons double, it disturbed me and I could not even bring myself to walk up for a full viewing, seeing him setme off inside..I was looking at my own worst nightmare..not to mention the very strong resemblance to my son, it just stired everything up in me..things I always felt but now became very aparent in me.

I am just lost, and I do not know what to do if my son falls back to the way he was, this is my fear...what do I do? He will be out soon and I want to be positive so he feels positive but my emotions are pretty strong.

And yes, I had him in 3 drug treatment programs in the past, my son has not really been around me in 5 years because he has been in and out of programs and jail.

stired_crazy's picture

RE: JSMOM

you are absolutlely right, I need to check into some groups or something, I dont have medical insurance at this time but I am sure there has to be some kind of support group that cost little to nothing.

I do need counseling for this so I no how to handle him and the home situation. I feel like if he has to much time on his hands then he will be right back to where he was.

I been trying to line him up a job for night shift with a family member, thinking if he works 12 hours 5 days then he will sleep durring the day and work at night, I am trying to find ways to manopolize his time, and group sessons would be good for us both, because I know emotionally I am struggling with this, and keep thinking if he goes back to the way he was I have to play tough love and throw him out, but then I have the fear if I do that and something bad happens how could I live with myself!

jadedprincess's picture

im sorry you are going through this, substance abuse sucks and it breaks families apart. i know you have all these things planned to help him but in the end it has to be his decision he has to WANT to stay away from the drugs. and honestly the best place for him isnt going to be with you. you should look into the rehab places where they live and have therepy but they can go work and see friends ect. he in all honesty needs to be about 4-6 hrs away from his home town that way doesnt have easy access to his old buddies and will have to search out new options but living in one of the half way type houses will discourage that behavior.. good luck i hope you and your son the best

christinen's picture

I have not had any issues like this with a child so it’s a little different, but my brother sounds a lot like your son. He is 22 now but has been in and out of trouble since he was about 17-18. It is all because of prescription drugs. It all started with him breaking into cars and stealing stereo systems/GPS/anything he could sell for cash for drugs. He of course eventually got caught and now has a felony burglary charge on his record so he can’t get a job anywhere. He has been to jail, rehab, counseling, you name it he has been there. He has been on probation and house arrest as well. Nothing has worked. He is now in a halfway house and comes home (to my mom’s house- I do not live there anymore) on Sundays. If he gets a job he can come home for the full weekend but he can’t find one because of his record (also doesn’t help that he dropped out of high school his senior year). I don’t think anyone or anything can change people like this until THEY decide they don’t want to live this way anymore and they voluntarily make the change. My mom has even tried to sign him up for college classes and pay for them- he stopped going after about 2 weeks. I mean she has tried everything. He has even stolen from family- our dad passed away 2 years ago and soon after, my mom realized a bunch of his things were missing from the garage. He also stole my jewelry and God knows what else from that house. It’s a sad, sad situation. It caused a lot of fighting between my mom and dad too, but now that my dad is gone I think my mom feels he is all she has  Those pills are what gets them.

my.kids.mom's picture

How long was he on concerta? My guess is that you are blaming his poor choices on the ADD/ADHD when in reality he is likely self-medicating because he is trying to find the balance that he now cannot find. It is typical for kids given ADD/ADHD meds to later use different drugs for different reasons. Why is it okay for parents and schools to try to control the child's brain in developmental stages, but not okay for children to take care of it themselves when they are "adults"? He needs medical help. He needs to learn what has gone on in his brain and how to normalize it. The problem is, that they (addicts) think if a little xanax feels good, a lot of xanax will feel better. That is why they get into trouble. Their drugs need to be administered by a non-addictive parent, nurse, doctor, etc. so they cannot take more than they need. It's ironic that you drugged him in school, but now remove his drugs and yet expect him to become a functional, productive citizen without them. You need to look at the big picture and not just at him for being the problem.

hismineandours's picture

If he comes back home I think you need to establish some firm rules and guidelines. He must be involved in a recovery program. AA/NA is completely free and in most areas you can find a meeting 7 days a week. He needs to get a sponsor. He needs to get a job. Recovery from substance abuse is not just about stopping use-it is a whole new way of living life and the problem that many make is that they can stop using for awhile, but they change nothing else and then end up relapsing. He definitely needs to change his people, places, things. That doesnt mean he cant live in the same town-but his old drug using friends should be off limits, as are bars, places that serve alcohol, etc. And sorry to the above poster but HE IS problem. Please do not take one bit of blame on this yourself. Everyone is free to make their own choices just as he did. There are many, many folks that are on adhd meds that never go on to be addicts. In fact, there are many research studies out there that will indicate that kids who have adhd and are NOT medicated for it are more likely to turn to substance use than if they are medicated properly. Accountability is Sooo important here and you must make sure you give him no opportunity to make excuses for his choices.

He does not need medical help, IMO, he needs a recovery program.

Just so you know, I've been a therapist for 15 years, do at least 2 relapse prevention groups a week, and sit on a drug court panel.

stired_crazy's picture

Thank you everyone for you posts, Just for the few that mentioned about me pulling his meds at the time, yes I did that about 4 years ago but I also told his counselor & Doctor about it to.

When he was in a live- in rehab I always told them about how I could not trust him on meds because of the street drugs he was playing with, I did not want to feel accountable if he was to OD when I'm thinking he is only on Concerta and nothing more.

When he was in live-in treatment programs (3 times) they always made like a plan that fit him and got him back on his Concerta, as he was watched 24/7 and it was safe to do so. Maybe me taking him off it threw out time when I knew what he was doing was not right or maybe it was...I really don't know because I was only trying to protect him and have my son around just one more day and not bury him the next.

This is VERY difficult for me, and I feel like its a dam if I do or dam if I dont situation. Upon him being locked up he has lost his S.S.I as they feel he no longer disabled, he currently is in a workcamp program thru the prison so I KNOW he can follow rules under tight structure and he can work.

Someone above nailed it right on the head when they said they take exstra things to feel better, because I do recall my son saying getting high made him feel like he fit in, The Concerta did not give him that same high feeling altho I could see a positive difference altho he couldnt, and thats where xanex came into play and tryng other things as well ( he was honest with me).

As for a halfway house how would I do that???? Do I have to go thru a court systum or something or can they sighn themselfes in one? I do not know if he would go for that because he has been locked-up and the first thing on his mind is freedom not being constricted to curfews and all that ( altho I think its a good idea at first to help him).

Also my son wants to move out of State which I have no problem with that, infact I am all for it for him, and my family does not mind helping him but first they want him to prove that he will be drug free and hold down a job beofre moving there, they have younger children too and are lookingout for them as well, they love him and want the best for him but they do not want that influenece if he has not changed, so he does have doors open its just people and family are looking for him to show them he is done with drugs.

Thats about the only place he could go away from where we are, there is no other place for him to go, this is going to be hard for me and him and I just want to give him a fair chance Sad

christinen's picture

The halfway house my brother is in now is court-ordered. It was part of his sentence. He went to jail for a certain amount of time, then halfway house for I believe 6 months. It's also called "work release" because they are supposed to be finding work, however since they all have criminal records none of them really do (according to my brother). He was there a previous time and was unable to find a job too. PLEASE do not blame yourself though- there are LOTS of perfectly good parents whose kids make bad decisions. My parents were great and did NOT raise my brother to be a drug addict; he made his OWN choices.

stired_crazy's picture

RE: Hismindandours

I meant to tell you " Thank you," what you said meant ALOT to me..thank you so much, and you are 100% right.

You know exactly what I am going thru and have been going thru, as I am sure you have heard and seen many storys and situations.

I try not to blame myself, but when I have done everything I could its still kind of hard not to, as a parent I am always thinking maybe I shoudl of tryed it this way or that way,
Those " Millon and one ways" ya know.

I will look into a local group for him, even me to be the stronger emotonal person I need to be. I certainly most appreciate your posting, and thank you everyone else too !

I got alot on my plate coming my way.

Thank you !

emotionaly beat up's picture

Firstly the smart alec comments

How long was he on concerta? My guess is that you are blaming his poor choices on the ADD/ADHD when in reality he is likely self-medicating because he is trying to find the balance that he now cannot find. It is typical for kids given ADD/ADHD meds to later use different drugs for different reasons. Why is it okay for parents and schools to try to control the child's brain in developmental stages, but not okay for children to take care of it themselves when they are "adults............... It's ironic that you drugged him in school, but now remove his drugs and yet expect him to become a functional, productive citizen without them. You need to look at the big picture and not just at him for being the problem.

are not helpful and certainly don't come from someone who has lived with ADHD /ADD kids. I have a friend who's son is now 28 and she has had him under the best professionals since he was 3. Sure, maybe she didn't always get the best advice but she did the very best she could, she went to the most highly recommended people she could and yes she gave him medication, she drove herself almost crazy worrying about this medication, and to this day it breaks her heart that she HAD to do it, for the safety of her child.

You certainly did not come across as blaming the ADHD for your sons behaviour, you come across as being emotinally exhausted and I understand fully why his bein in prison or locked up anywhere else would give you some comfort, I really do - you love your son and as with my friend, you do not want him to kill himself so you did and do the very best. It is not as if you went to the local supermarket, picked up some drugs of the shelf and medicated the kid yourself so do not take any notice of people who think they know it all, live with it 24/7 52 weeks a year, when it is your own biological child and then comment.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I saw so many other mothers' at the school mouthing off and expressing to my friend how they would do this or that and making sure she knew it was "all her fault" they made me sick. Many of these self praising perfect mothers turned out to have not such good kids themselves when the kids grew up. So, to address your problem, both the family and your son need to find a place where he can stay for a while when he is firt released, but that he can get individual counselling, parents can get counselling, siblings can get counselling, and you can all come together weekly for family counselling. These places do exist and some of them are pretty damn good. But are they affordable and that is something that unfortunately you have to take into account. Sometimes it would not matter if you sold every possesion you had and used every cent of your income, went live under a tree, ate leaves and walked around wrapped in paper, you still could not afford some of these places, doesn't mean you do not love and care for your son, it means that society has a long way to go when it comes to dealing with mental health. Try and find some place like this if you can.

As far as your son goes, you will never be able to stop him doing what he ultimately will do. If he choses at some point to smarten up he will, no matter how sick or depressed he is with the right kind of support for he and the family he may make that choice. If he chooses to keep the old lifestyle then there is nothing you can do except of course do not supply him with money or have him living under your roof without paying his way for food, rent etc, because the less money you take off him, the more he has for drugs, so tough love on that one. But I guess most importantly, get help for yourself, my friend was 50 before she had a complete mental breakdown over this situation, and it took anothr 6 months to convince her to take a mild antidepressant, finally her doctor, her counseller, her husband, and myself convinced her to try something even for a short while, and now, she is a completely different woman, sure the problems are still there, but she copes with them magnficently which in turn benefits her son. Step 1, get some help for yourself and this means you take a tablet to help you with your anxiety so be it. Anything that helps you will help your son. Now the previous poster and others who don't get it will say you are just drug taking with your son............ignore them, get some help for you, something to help you cope with your son's choices, and if your doctor suggests some sort of anti anxiety medication, well he is the one with the education and training, he knows you, we don't take your doctors advice. This is never going to be easy, but to try to remember you cannot control your son's behaviour all you can control is how you deal with it. You are in a terrible situation here, one which is not of your making and do not believe anyone who says you could have done it differently or better, you did the best you could. It is clear from your post you are not some no hoper parent, you do not deserve to be critized by a stranger just because you asked for help with this current situation. Good Luck, God Bless.

stired_crazy's picture

RE: Emotionalybeatup,

Thank you...your kindness and understandng has tears running down my face, Thank you so so much !

I appreciate EVERYTHING you said, feels goodto know I am not alone and there are other people who can relate to me and my situation because of their own children or because of someone they love and care about.8

No worries at all, this site is supposed to be about helping each other and understanding, not about beating each other up. God know we are obviously being beat up enough in our lives by other people, because if we weren't we wouldn't be on this site in the first place.

Just look after yourself first, that is the best thing you can do for your family and your son.

My son sufferred depression for 3 years and was sucidal for most of that time. It was related to work and I was so fortunate that we were handed over as a family to the place I described to you. He was there for 19
weeks, and it was intensive by way of therapy, but it taught my daughters and myself to look after us, and they did the very best for my son that they could, he was not 100% when they sent him home, but the main difference was in how I dealt with it. This was many years ago and we are all good now thanks in part to this experience and many other people who understood. Again, there were woman at the same school who blamed me for what happened to my son. Mouthing off about something they new nothing about, I do not understand why people have to be so hateful.

Now, my situation is nothing, nothing at all compared to what you and my friend have and are going through, so please do not think I feel that I too have sufferred like you, I have not, and I realise it. However looking at my friend, and how she is now after 3 years of looking after herself, looking at how looking aftermyself helped me help my son, I can only say that two out of three of us have been able to help our sons by looking after ourselves, I hope you make it a hat trick. All the very very best. You are are far from alone.

Look at this site as a good self help book, take away the good stuff and stuff that you think applis to you and use it to help you cope, and throw out the trash. Every book has good and bad in it.

stired_crazy's picture

RE:Emotionallybeatup

You are right, I do have to look after me to to be emotionally stable to help him, because I am know with him I can be too much maybe, well in the sense that he is 19 and many times before he has always told me " God mom, your too protective," or he would tell me "mom, I am my own man im not a baby," or like always just about any parent hears " You worry to much."

He never understood he gave me those reasons tho, He did write me and tell me that I was the best mother and that he was Thankful for all our exsperiences we had together and if he had to choose a new mom he would always pick me Smile

I am just fearful of the unknown, I never could exspect different because it never was different...just got worse ya know.

I know we all get on here and talk about our spouses and Sk and I seen a few talk about BK,and I deal with both like many on here, but just as well as I get on here about SK I wanted to vent about my BS too because it is hard.

My BF is my world, but my son.....he is my life!
I guess I couldn't say it any better then that Smile
Thank you for you support and kindness, means aolot in the state of mind I been finding myself in, and like your friend, its been driving me crazy just the " Fear" of it because I been going thru it for 5 years with my son, and I am exhausted just at the mare thought, but emotionally frightned for him and mental exhausted for me.

I know stired-crazy, and I do understand. I cannot help you through it, no one can do it for you and is sucks big time. I don't know why some of us have to go the fear of our children harming themselve, no idea at all why. But as they say we each have a cross to bear and this is what some of us get dealt. However, as I said, we cannot micro manage what our kids do, and they all say we are too protective, it is in the baby manual they read in the womb....when mum does something to tick you off, standard response is....Mum you are too protective, this gets her looking at herself and not at you Smile But deep down inside I'm sure they wouldn't want it any other way. Still as I was saying we cannot micro manage them, we can only micro manage ourselves and get ourselves in the best possible mental, physical and emotional place to deal with whatever piece of crap they are going to throw at us next time.

If you are a mess, guaranteed he is going to be a bigger one. Looking back at my own son, I realised that if I was not coping or I was physically unwell, even a cold or flu, it was enough to send him into a frenzy. I realised much later when the drama had settled down as much as it ever will, that those were probably the times when he was the most scared, he didn't need a sick unable to cope mum. He needed me to be strong and healthy in every possible way. I told my friend this, and she was with me through the whole experience so she knew what I was saying was true, I think this is what tipped her over the edge and she then allowed her self to take some medication to help with her anxiety. So, that was a few years ago for her too and while her son is not the perfect child she dreamed off in her one and only baby boy, he has survived to 28 and she never saw him making it past 18, and is getting married to a lovely girl in a couple of weeks..........So do what it takes for you and in loving yourself enough to take care of the most important person in your sons life right now YOU, you are also loving your son and doing what it takes to help keep him safe. Show him your strengths, not your weaknessess. Take care and know you are far from alone it just feels like it.