You are here

My stepson...oh where do I begin....

doxilover's picture

So my husband and I have been married for 4 years. His boys are 8 and 12. My son is 7. His youngest was ok with me UNTIL we got married. Since then he has got it in his head that I am the reason his parents are not together and he hates me. Which he recently announced at a 4th of July party in front of about 20 people. He also dislikes my son. I thought it would get better as he got older but it's only gotten worse. I have anxiety issues and this situation only makes it WAY worse. I really cannot stand this child and I feel like such a horrible awful person for feeling that way. I tell myself over and over again that he is only a kid and I am the adult and I should get over it but I just can't. Here are some of the highlights: he is jealous of my son - I think because when we came into the picture he was no longer the baby???? he is jealous when other kids want to play with my son; my son is so excited on the days his brothers are coming over and only wants to play with them - many times the stepson will walk in the door and right by him w/o acknowledging his presence (or mine but I can deal with that better than him being mean to my kid); my MIL butts in and I even got scolded yesterday at a family gathering for "shooting daggers" at the stepson. I admit I have done so in the past but yesterday I was doing my very best to stay out of his way and not even make eye contact with him - HE was the one shooting daggers at me, which is pretty much the norm.
I am about to the point where I just want to take my son and leave the house when the stepson is going to be there. And I told my husband yesterday that I will not go to family events at his parents' house if the stepson is going to be there. Can we really live this way???????? I am at my wits end.
Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. I'm so sorry there are so many of us having to deal with this crap! Sad