You are here

Is my husband allowed..

Sarowyn0608's picture

To cut his daughter's hair?
Strange q I'm sure. She is 4 and has super long curly hair. It's to the back of her knees. It used to be gorgeous but now it's unruly and unmanageable. She desperately needs a cut. (Just a few inches) ofc DH can't do her hair for the life of him (unless
It's after a bath) so I'm the one doing it (I don't mind) but it's just past the point of ridiculousness.
BM said she won't cut her hair until she's 10 because "when u cut a kids hair before ten it doesn't grow back the same" (um wat?! Lol)
SD asks for a hair cut all the time. DH wants her
To have
A hair cut. What can he do? Right now the court
Process is still going on (at the tail end now tho). She has temporary physical custody, and DH has visitation but it's very likely they will end up with joint.
Suggestions? My opinion is that he's gotta quit looking st the situation as she is BMs kid and BM is so graciously allowing him to borrow and see HER child. He's just so
Grateful to even be in her life that he doesn't really wanna make waves. I told him that is absurd as he is biologically and legally her father and he has just as much say in her life as BM.
When he told BM to cut her hair she said "if u can't properly care for her then maybe the court should know that she shouldn't go to your house"
Again...wtf!!

BethAnne's picture

There is nothing legally stopping him from getting it cut. He just wants to avoid getting on bm's bad side. If the child wants her hair cut that badly, she will cut it herself eventually if her dad does not have the courage to get it done himself.

Sarowyn0608's picture

I myself have long thick hair and two daughters who have long hair. I can manage and do ours just fine. This hair however is never taken care of and is always a huge rats nest. We canNOT bath her every time we need to go out and look presentable. Not realistic at all.
And the comment of "don't fix her hair- let him parent his child" is ridiculous. I'm not disciplining her or making medical or religious choices for her- I'm doing her freaking hair. Just like i do the other kids. Some things moms are just better at. Like hair. LOL! He asks me for help. Same as if I'm busy doing something else I ask him for help with my kids. It's a blended FAMILY. We all do things for eachother!

I'm definitely not getting involved nor will I try to push DH to do anytning. He was just wondering from a legal standpoint of he could actually get her hair cut.
We aren't talking going from long hair to a pixie cut either lol. Just a trim!

And I agree, we should have a "like" button!

Sarowyn0608's picture

He does do the care for her. Except baths and breakfast on Sunday mornings.
He always did her hair before it got to this unruly point. That's the point- it's undoable by EVERYONE. BM included!

Lulu90's picture

I (at DH request) buzzed my SS head when he was 4. I cut my husbands hair and SS wanted it like Daddy. IT turned into a big deal but the child was hot and sweaty all summer plus his hair looked stupid. He had a Beber hair cut done badly it looked horrible. Now all the men (the boys and DH) go get hair cuts together. The 2 year old doesn't get short hair because he is too blond he would look bold.

Sarowyn0608's picture

No, the courts didn't decide that based on anytning my husband did. He is never the one getting the stern talking to- it's BM.

Sarowyn0608's picture

He did not choose that, you are misunderstanding.
The situation has always been she had the child and DH had visitation. We love in different cities.
DH is going for joint.
He didn't choose that at all

Sarowyn0608's picture

The physical part was put
In place because BM wanted the control of enrolling sd in a pricey private school that DH was to pay half
For. This isn't affordable so the outcome of that court date was BM can temp phys custody so she can enroll her but assumes all costs and can never come back after DH for it. Sorry i wasn't clear!

Rags's picture

Yes, he can have his daughter's hair cut any time she is in his custody. He should take her to get a few inches cut off to make it more manageable.

If BM wants to make a big deal out of a dad having his daughter's hair cut so be it. She can bare her own ass in court.

Acratopotes's picture

I would not cut her hair, BM will have a fit....

When SD walk in, I will simply wash her hair, grab the untangled, comb her hair and plate it, she can go back to BM with plated hair...... how she looks on BM's time is none of your business....

Twix's picture

Last year we wanted SS 8+10 to get flu shots (newborn in the house). DH talked to BM she flipped out, calmed down and said she'd think about it. We waited 2 weeks with no response (and he tried texting her about it). So he went ahead and got the shots. She lost it and rained down a bunch of empty threats. This is a bit more serious than a hair cut and he did check with his lawyer first.