You are here

Love my in-laws, but this is too much

Shannon61's picture

First off, I adore my in-laws. They are wonderful folks. DH wants to go by to visit them once a week . . staying until 10 or 11 pm. Sometimes I'll go, and sometimes I won't. Also, when I don't attend church functions they feel I should attend, they ask about me (which is normal), and he tries to make me feel guilty about not attending.

The truth is, they have a tendency to drag things out, and I don't have the patience. I'd rather be home reading, relaxing or just enjoying my time alone. No one is going to "guilt" me into doing something I don't want to do. Has anyone else deal w/these type of issues w/your DH's family?

This happened yet again today. I reminded DH we're going to spend the weekend w/them next week at a family function. They act like they haven't seen me in months or something and we were just together a couple of weeks ago (twice in one week). DH doesn't visit my mom as often, so maybe I'll start throwing that in his face.

It's really starting to get on my nerves.

inneedofanswers's picture

Stick to your guns! If you are made to spend more time with them than what you want then you will end up resenting them and SO.

Just because SO has issues with apron strings it doesnt mean that you need to be tied up with them too!

Shannon61's picture

Thanks. You nailed it. They make him feel guilty, and now he's pulling it on me. I had to tell him not once but twice, that I wasn't going. I'm already frustrated about DH and SD (27), but that's another issue entirely.