You are here

Liars and Manipulators - How do you deal?

confusedmomof3's picture

I do not know how to feel about this.. I am so mixed up.

Ok, I have 2 SK - both boys, ages 10 & 12. I also have my bio daughter, age 8.

Two weeks ago there was an incident with SK10. He acted like a total pain in the ass all day long for our nanny. Was in time out probably 5 out of the 8 hours she had him. One of the things that got him in trouble was he and his brother were playing with a keyboard/piano that they gave to my daughter a year and a half ago and SK10 allegedly said "if dad and " " (stepmoms name) break up we are so taking this back from " " (my daughter) - she is so not ever playing with this again"... Luckily my daughter wasn't there when it was said - she was at a friends house.

Well.. here we are 2 weeks later. Get the SKids back on Sunday. At bedtime SK12 starts crying like a baby.. saying "I hate night time because I start to think about my mom dying when I'm at my dads".. DH and I calm him down and talk to him about controlling negative thoughts, focusing on positives, etc. I thought all of this was suspicious but filed it away in my brain and chalked it up to the readjustment phase of things.

Then, last night he pulls it again.. at bedtime - actually after bedtime. He got up out of bed and went downstairs to his dad and stated crying and saying he feels sooooo sad. Now my antennae is really up. I try talking to him matter of factly "do you miss/wanna call your mom".. no. "Do you not want to be here" No. I'm not babying him, I'm just calm and asking direct questions. I say we can't help him if he can't open up to us. His dad gets pissed and doesn't like my tone, so I leave and go upstairs. About 20 minutes later I hear SK12 crying still - and louder.

I walk into the living room and DH says SK12 has something he needs to tell you. I'm thinking "what now" (there is always drama with these kids).. SK12 cries "noooo I can't say it - I just can't"... I want to puke - he is so playing this up.

So DH tells me that SK12 told him he said the nasty piano thing and needed to get it off his chest.

Now at this point I am proud that he confessed, however, his manipulative, get everybody to feel soooo sorry for me, eat up 4 hours of the past 2 days with his crying and belaboring the point tactics start to overshadow the fact that he told the truth.

He does this crap all the time. You send him to his room for an early bedtime due to whatever and he will come out at 10:00 when the adults are trying to wind down and about to go to bed. He is in trouble but will say all sweetly "dad.. I need to talk to you" and then start crying about the divorce or whatever he thinks will get the focus off what he did and make daddy forget that his ass should be in bed.

The other sick part of this is right after the initial statement 2 weeks ago.. SK12 trash talked his brother for "saying such a mean horrible thing".. and all along he knew it was him. He let his brother get grounded, get in trouble, have me pissed at him and knew all along it was him that did it.

I'm hurt by all of this. DH is pissed at me because I walked out of the room and wouldn't talk to him about it. Hey, I was pissed and was in no frame of mind to baby him. I'm being told to let it go because he told the truth, but the whole thing makes me sick. From the initial malicious statement to the lies to the manipulation of when/how he fessed up.

I don't know what to do. I'm being told my feelings are wrong.

confusedmomof3's picture

maybe I wasn't clear.

SK10 was in time out for several offenses over the entire day. Not just for his remark.

Everything from telling the babysitter to shut her mouth to sneaking soda (which he isn't allowed to have) from the refridgerator.

The babysitter is special ed teacher - I think she has the right to discipline this child. And we have given her permission to do so.

And the post wasn't about SK10 - it was about SK12. The reference to SK10 was to show the history of what SK12 did to throw his brother un the bus.

We have full custody of the boys by their choosing. I have shared parenting of my daughter, so no, it's nothing to do with her seeing their dad more than them. They have serious jealousy, sharing and anger issues. Just to name a few.

Auteur's picture

Wow this kid is a MANIPULATOR! (aren't they all?)

When he wanders out of bed to "talk" at 10 pm, used to be the parents would say "get back in bed and we'll talk tomorrow"

At which point said kid would start to cry audibly

At which point said parent would counter with "I'll GIVE you something to CRY about if you don't cut that out!"

Ahhhhh the good old days!

confusedmomof3's picture

I know!!!

His father refuses to see it and it drives me NUTS!!!!

So, you do you agree the whole 2 nights of crying leading up to his "confession" was an act to build up sympathy or am I being too conspiracy theory here?

Auteur's picture

Of course it was. I am of the school that children are MUCH MUCH more intelligent than we give them credit for.

They come out of the womb hard wired for survival. A narcissistic, manipulative tiny human being. It is natural and it is also natural that we have parents to train them out of this.

When parents totally abdicate their role as "children molders" by not providing boundaries, structure and expectations of decent human behaviour, then the child completely takes over and takes advantage to his and everyone's detriment.

These "free ranging" non-parents today think that children are innocent little angels, as pure as the wind driven snow and not capable of a manipulative thought.

That is where the trouble lies. It's not the child. It's the parent's tolerance of the child's blatant manipulation.

I feel for you; not much you can do when you have a guilty daddy at the helm. His son will continue to manipulate himself right into a felony record as he gets older, more bolder and develops his complete lack of respect for his parents and any authority figure.

confusedmomof3's picture

Soooo.. how would you respond/react. I want to avoid SK12 for the next uhmmmm... 6 years.

No seriously, I am pissed off at him and want nothing to do with him and his dad is like "you are being too harsh - I punished him and made him take out the trash.. that's enough"..

I want to choke them both.

Really, I feel hurt and that I can't trust anyone in that house except my daughter. Every time I turn around there is a knife in my back.

hbell0428's picture

Kids love to do this. and thank the lord my DH has finally caught on to SD14 crap!! It took about a year and a half for him to actually really see what she's doing. She lives with us FT and I have 3 bios.
He played into it for months!! He thought I was mean - the big bad mean StepMonster!! Whatever!! Every single time he would stick up for her - he would get egg right in his face. (she would do something bad) Finally he got sick of it and opened his eyes!!! She knows I am on to her - she doesn't even try that sh** with me! not at all! If you have the patience and you love him - stick it out; there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stand your ground Smile