You are here

Leaving your spouse

newstepmom7's picture

How many of you have considered leaving your spouse or have actually left your spouse because you cannot deal with step children and the dynamic of between them and their children? I'm looking for honest insight beside "if you're asking, you already know what to do." Thank you. 

ESMOD's picture

the short answer is yes many people do.  some follow through on it.  but every situation is different.. what someone else can handle.. or their situation isn't yours or your tolerance.

newstepmom7's picture

I honestly thought I had more tolerance for this all but it's wearing more and more thin. I'm generally a patient person but this is taxing. 

justmakingthebest's picture

My 2nd marriage's demise had a lot to do with my exSS and exH's behaviors. SS was ADHD and ODD and his father was a Narcissist and turned abusive.

It started with SOOOOO many issues with the SS though. He would get in trouble and his dad would get this dark look and want to know what ____ (Me, exH's sister, his mom, the teacher, BM) did to make him act that way. It was never that SS could just be doing something bad. It was always someone else's fault. He actually used to talk about how SS was the only thing in the world he  "owned". Talk about creepy.

SS's behavior kept escalating, exH's rage kept escalating it was just a nightmare. Can I blame it all on SS, hell no. exH was a horrible excuse for a man. Did SS help move things along more quickly- 100%!

newstepmom7's picture

If only SD was older so she could move out on her own and not be in my life and only deals with her dad. Damn....

newstepmom7's picture

If only SD was older so she could move out on her own and not be in my life and only deals with her dad. Damn....

Merry's picture

For me, it wasn't just skids but they were a symptom. DH doted on me when it was just the two of us, but introduce something else shiny (friends, skids, hobby), then I was back burner until he wanted to engage again.

Nope. I had enough, drew a line, and he could choose divorce or therapy. Not negotiable. He knew I had the means and the will to leave if I so chose. He made a therapy appointment the next day and stuck with it, did the hard work, and I stayed.

newstepmom7's picture

Ironically, my DH is open to therapy. To build our dynamic. But everyone SD name comes up, he gets so defensive. So I worry how far we can really go. 

EveryoneLies's picture

But not because the dynamic between the dad and son. My DH is a supportive spouse and we are mostly on the same page whenever it comes to parenting the children. The thought only happens whenever I think about SS might not be able to launch. The thought of SS not being able to launch is so scary if I will have to live with him for the rest of my life. I needed the "leaving DH" as my exit from SS just so that I won't get into a panic attack. 

But every time I think about it I feel sad too. Because DH is a real nice person, i don't know why his son is like this. 

newstepmom7's picture

That's how I feel! When I first met him, she was not living with him. He was sharing custody. But now he has full custody and BM is MIA. So there is no reprieve. 

EveryoneLies's picture

We are on very similar boats lol.

Our BM is also not in the picture and there is no break. More than once I asked DH can we please send SS to his mom for like just week when he's on break, (CO stated she should see her own son like 20% of the year, ha ha!) but DH thinks SS will only get worse (behavioral-wise) so we never did. (Never did since COVID, BM has NOT sent any email or made any calls to ask about her own freaking son. Meanwhile, SS was complaining how "unfair" life is to him lol Talk about unfair hahahahahaha)

newstepmom7's picture

I think it's more unfair to us then to the kids. I'm sorry you're in that boat!

The problem is that she's such a little snot, no one wants to keep her for more than a few hours. Occasionally a day here or there. So no reprieve. Even my own bio kids went away sometimes when they were younger. But not this one. No time away so no peace. Smh

Ispofacto's picture

May I ask how many skids you have and what their ages are?  Most people put that info in their bio.

In general, for everyone in my life, regardless of biology or commitment, do they bring more joy than pain, overall?  If there is a rough patch, do we care enough, and are we able to compromise to resolve it?

I also think it's important to understand personality disorders.  There's a difference between a good person engaging in poor choices vs a disordered person who will never stop being inflexible and selfish.  Empathy is so important.

newstepmom7's picture

I'm hesistant to list SD age because I had before a while back and was attacked when I was genuinely seeking understanding and some extent, support. 

he brings me alot of joy. I feel safe and secure in a relationship for the first time in many, many years. Does he have his flaws? Of course. But this SD thing is such a major flaw that it ovwshawdows his good sometimes. 

Stepdrama2020's picture

Every sitch is different, yet has the same commonalities.

At least on this board step life aint easy. Its constant drama and lowering your standards until those standards reach the depths of hell. At least for me.

I learned on here that my ex SD was not the main problemo, well she was a symptom, my ex DH was the biggest problemo. It can only work if you have a strong DH who has your back and shuts down the nonsense. Some folks on here have that, but many dont and they suffer or choose to leave.

Choices and changes are hard. 

Blessings

newstepmom7's picture

I see some potential for him to do what needs to be done and me disengaging has helped a lot with him seeing SD as the hot mess she is and can become. 

But not enough. And I'm worried it won't be soon enough. All I can think about is how many more  years of this BS I have to deal with. As opposed to what I've already been dealing with so far. It seems truly daunting. 

reedle2021's picture

I left my ex and his manchild.  They were codependent, enmeshed and treated me terribly.  You can read my posts for the details.  I am so much happier being out of that situation.

The only insight I can offer is that if things don't seem right and you truly in your heart can't stand his daughter, you may want to reconsider your situation.  I had the same feeling in my marriage early on that things between dad and son were "not right."  I was quickly told to "mind your business" if I asked any questions or expressed any concerns (like dad not giving son ANY curfew when he was 16-17 and allowing son's girlfriend to be at our house all the time, the two of them unattended in the upstairs bedroom with the door shut).  My ex was extremely defensive when it came to his son and his cat, both of who were treated better than me. My ex husband made it crystal clear to me that his son came before me, was more important to me and if I had a problem with his son or cat, then I could just leave.  So I did.  It took me a while, but I did.

I also want to warn you not to count on SD moving out when she's of age.  My ex SS was 21 and had no intention of ever leaving the house and his dad was fine with that.

I hope things work out for you .... please take care of yourself.  Keep us posted!  **HUGS**

EveryoneLies's picture

Oh god, glad you are done with this situation. 
living forever with SS is the worst nightmare I have.

newstepmom7's picture

That's honestly what makes me sad. Because I can see the red flags and I don't know or think they can get better. Because he didn't see them at all at first. Now he does and it's like he's afraid to discipline her. Smh. And you're right, she may not move out at 18. Damn, that makes this even more depressing. If BM wasn't a complete shit show, I'd be rallying for her to live with her and DH would have visitation like it was when we first met. 

I'm happy you got out. Having SK you dislike in your house everyday with their bs is exhausting. 

reedle2021's picture

Yes, it is sad that we have to go through things like this.  And recognizing those red flags and the pattern they represent is also sad. 

My ex husband was also afraid to punish/set rules or expectations for his son.  My ex husband once told me (when his son was 17 and moved in with us full time):  "I can't set rules or make him do anything he doesn't want to do or he'll move out."  Like, my ex husband was so worried about his son moving out!  That was one of many red flags I should have recognized. 

I really hope you and DH can get on the same page.  It is possible to turn things around if he steps up. 

Rags's picture

Eternal optimism and hope in potential without standards for delivery on performance is a waste ot time, effort, hope, and utimately one's life.

As a pragmatist, I can adjust and move forwared. If I were solely an optimist, I would be stagnant.

I truly hope your SO actually delivers. But do not rest your own happiness on that hope. Set the expectation, demand performance, and adjust your own plan for happiness accordingly as events unfold.

Good luck.

Kloewent's picture

The problem is, your husband knows what he is doing is wrong. He knows parenting isn't always saying yes, but he is racked by guilt, so he gives a little, a little more, then more and the next thing you know his kid hates him and won't see him. I couldnt believe the posts on this site, over and over and over again, the exact same story. Maybe different details, but the basic thread is there. My story too. But one thing is for sure, it doesn't get better unless your husband gets his head out of his butt! Counseling might help, you leaving could help. But just. wishing and hoping isn't going to do it.