You are here

Kids' bedrooms

christinen's picture

What are your skids/kids bedroom situations like? I'm asking because my DH and I have a 2 bedroom house and have SD5. We want to start trying to get pregnant but we don't have a bedroom for the baby. We have been looking for a bigger house but just have not been able to find anything yet. We have been together 4 years and married 1 1/2 and I really don't want to put this off any longer. I want my own baby, damn it!

SD's bedroom is fairly small but why should she get a room all to herself when she is only there half the time and my baby who will be there all the time not get a room? I don't want to put the baby in my bedroom because when DH and I got together, I had to deal with the co-sleeping bs he did with SD and I do NOT want to do that again. We have a basement but it is not finished and we aren't going to pay to have it finished because we don't own the house (we rent).

I'm getting extremely irritated that I feel I have to put off having a baby because SD takes up my only extra bedroom. What would you do? Try to get pregnant and hope we find a bigger house soon and if not, put the baby in the room with SD? She starts kingergarten this year so I don't think it's a good idea for her to share a room with an infant. Ughhhhh, advice please!

SM with BM from hell's picture

^^^^this DH and I still have BS's 7 mos in our room. We just recently moved into a bigger home and everyone has their own space, but for now the babies are still in our room. It makes morning easier until they sleep longer.

hismineandours's picture

I would keep the baby in your room for awhile as someone else suggested-to hopefully find another place. If you still cant get that accomplished-Id put both the kids in the same room until you can move. As you said she is not there all the time so essentially your baby would have the room to him or herself most of the time.

gabeyandgavsmami's picture

I have made my stance VERY clear to my boyfriend of 4 years (we have two bio sons together: 22 months and 8 months). His daugthers (5 & 7 years old) come to visit every other weekend. At their Mother's house, they each have their own bedroom. At our house, we have two bedrooms, 1 for us and the other for our boys. My boyfriends daugthers sleep on a blow up, queen size bed in our living room. We are planning to buy a home within the next year or two and I REFUSE to have a 3rd bedroom for his children when they are only at our house 4.5 days a month. The 3rd bedroom will be for my youngest son. Just as his daugthers have their own bedrooms in their own house with their Mother, my sons will have the same. HOWEVER - I am very agreeable to be mindful of the fact that our next home needs a finished basement for the girls to have their own space... NOT A ROOM... Just SPACE...

christinen's picture

Thank you all so much, you made me feel a lot better! I guess it would be ok to have the baby in our room in a bassinet. I just am not into the co-sleeping thing. Of course I don't have any babies yet, but just knowing what we went through with SD due to DH co-sleeping with her.. I don't want to go through that again! I still of course would like to have a room to put the baby's things. I have no idea where I would put everything. Our room is overcrowded as it is (we live in a small, historical-type townhome so the rooms are TINY). But it is true that if we wait until everything is perfect, we will never do anything! Thanks again Smile