You are here

Just a vent...need to get it out!!

hangingbyathread6's picture

So DH and I had counseling yesterday. Not good...it was worse than last week. She asked if there was anything we wanted to start with, that we felt needed to be discussed...I remained silent, thinking "go ahead DH...you start...tell us if you have concerns about anything". Nope. She looked at me, I looked at him, said "nothing? You don't think there's anything to address? Okay, I'd like to address that per our last session, I agreed to SS coming back with stipulations set. DH did hold the meeting as you advised and did run it all on his own. The points we came up with her with you were stated explained to SS14. That was Sunday evening....it is now Thursday afternoon and SS14 has done NOTHING but walk around like all is well and fine and nothing ever happened. This makes me upset, makes DD12 upset and is making resentment grown towards DH because he is not following through with SS14".

This caused a heated discussion...DH says how have I not followed through? I did what I was supposed to. Yes you did...on Sunday...since then SS14 has not done what he was supposed to do.
DH-Well when was he supposed to? No ones been home! We have had all kinds of things going on!
Me- ummm well Sunday night you and I were there (an apology is supposed to come to us). DD12 was there Monday since 11:00 until Tuesday at 1:40 when I left and took her to the camp. She has been gone now since 4:30 yesterday for visitation with her father.
DH- yeah you left without taking anyone else with you!
Me- yes I did. Because neither SSs had bothered to come downstairs and interact with anyone. SS14 came and hovered for a bit , as if he was waiting for me to take his breakfast order at 11:00. I did not. And will not. All but DS7 is capable of making their own breakfast. And then he walked out of the house and left at 12:30 without telling anyone he was leaving, apparently now at 14 after this mess he caused, he can come and go as he pleases without asking but without even INFORMING an adult what he is doing. Even if he had been there...I would not have taken him...because he has DONE NOTHING AND MADE NO EFFORTS TO DO SO. ss12 didn't go, because he hadn't even bothered to come down stairs by 1:40 in the afternoon and had mumbled a total of two sentences to me...a mumbled idk when asked if he was going to get out of bed and get dressed today at 12:30 and a I have to use the bathroom when I was in their cleaning it. I'm not chasing 12 &14 yr kids kids around and I will not force or seek out for them to interact with me. If they want to be a part of my family then I needed to be treated as more than just a random person in the house they live in

Counselor agreed that I was being appropriate. DH didn't like that much. DH says everything is not okay and I am not acting like that! I said well SS14 is walking around doing whatever he wants...you are walking around like he has done nothing. DH- I have talked to him every single day! I have been discussing with him every day what he is supposed to do and encouraging him to do it! Well if you have been,you have not communicated that to me. You have not communicated anything to me other than the perception that all is well. I only can know what I am told and what I see, experience...and that is that he and you act like nothing ever happened.

DH says "he was going to apologize to DD12 when he got him in Tuesday but she wasn't there!" I said oh on Tuesday after he left the house without telling anyone? And because DD12 wasn't there because it was a beautiful day, and I wanted to go the the camp and so did she? Is life supposed to stop and no one can go or do anything because we need to be on standby for IF SS14 decides he has the urge to do what he is supposed to? DH responds "you have made a hostile environment so he's uncomfortable! You have barely spoken to him. Or acted like he is even there! How is he supposed to feel comfortable when you make it feel like he isn't wanted." My response was....oh so now this is MY fault that he hasn't apologized because he's uncomfortable? Because I am not promoting a sunshine and rainbows with skittles falling from the sky environment so dear SS14 can feel comfortable when facing something he did? I should be sure to make sure he feels comfortable when he has made while mess of tension and uncomfortableness in MY home.? Again...counselor agreed with me...life doesn't stand still based on SS14's whims. And that no I don't have to make it sunshine and lollipops at my home for SS14. And that facing something you did that was wrong is always uncomfortable...otherwise what you did wouldn't have been wrong (hmmmm heard that before DH?)

DH starts about howSS14 is wrong and he is sorry he's just having a hard time and blah blah blah. So counselor asks me how I feel about that and what do I have to say in response. My response...I looked right at DH and said, "you have been saying SS14 feels terrible and is so sorry for all the damage and hurt he has caused...before it was he can't start making it better if he isn't around the people he needs to make it better to. That we needed to be open to his efforts....well I have two questions for you...WHAT is it I (or DD12) need to be OPEN to because I haven't seen any EFFORT so if there has been please tell me what that is? And second...you say you know he's very very sorry and he feels just awful...so tell me, what has SS14 said or done to yu that has portrayed that he is sooooo sorry and feels sooooo terrible? What has he said or done to make you say that's how he feels? Or do you just not want to accept that maybe he's just a little jerk and he actually isn't sorry and even though you know he should be he isn't and you have to accept that reality?" Counselor says that is very good hanging...DH would you answer that? Maybe that will help hanging see he is sorry. How has SS14 portrayed his remorse to you? DH got very upset and said ," I'm doing it wrong again!" And on and on about how I don't want to see SS14, and DH is just stupid I guess because he sees something else etc etc. I said, "excuse me, I don't believe any where in what I said to you did I say you were wrong or stupid. I simply asked a question. What has SS14 done or said to portray to YOU that he is remorseful and wants to make things better? Because he has done nothing that I have been witness to. Just answer the question. At this point DH gets up in a huff and says forget it I'm done we are getting nowhere! And walks out, slamming the door. Counselor looks at me, and I said and this is the type of anger and frustration that gets directed at me because of actions of SS14 every time the kids doesn't something. Every time. So this is why there is a wedge between DH and I, this is why I say I'm always the bad guy. This anger and shitty attitude comes out only when dealing with three things...SS14...MIL...and BM. And they are majority of the time intertwined. Counselor said she had talked to DH about coming to see her individually about his anger issues. I said well considering he just walked out I dont know that we'll see him again. DH did come back and she asked to talk to him alone for a few minutes and then she asked if we could all continue together. She gave us the "floor"'thing...the piece of carpet to hand back and forth and if you have the carpet you get to speak without being interrupted. She told us to take it with us. I told her it's not really necessary because we don't talk at home. We leave here and DH never brings it up again until the following week when we show back up in here. I don't bring it up, because I have enough stress and tension to deal with....I don't need to argue more. I told her, I am deeply hurt by both SS14 and DH's behavior. That I'm angry with both of them, for SS and his lies and for DH and his lack of support and attacks on me, trying to give an excuse of why things are or aren't not happening because I'm the bad guy. And I'm disappointed in my SS for being able to treat people who loved him So dearly and deeply like this, and disappointed in DH for not standing by his wife and not being a husband and parent.

We had seperate vehicles (thank goodness!) I stopped at home, walked in, walked out and headed to get some time in a tanning bed to relax and my haircut. SS14 pulled another stunt of not being where he was supposed to be and DH had a convo with him upstairs (and because MIL got involved and was bitching at DH about the way SS14 is being treated....stay the f@ck out of it!) DH and SS14 then had a two hour convo in the garage...then SS went back upstairs to hide...DH says DD12 is home. Yeah she has been since 7. DH goes back upstairs to talk to SS. After ten minutes it's back out to the garage for another hour long convo. Then DH comes and asks DD12 to come outside with him. Apparently SS14 delivered a teary apology (mind you this is after about a total of three and a half hours of convo and prodding by DH). Dd12 comes in teary with DH. She sits on my lap and hugs me. I asked her if she was ok. She said yes but I wish you would have been there with me. I said counselor said SS wouldn't be able to do it with me there, I'm sorry. But he at least faced you. And you are string and brave for facing someone who wronged you. It doesn't mean everything is all better and if you are still mad and hurt that is okay....it is going to take a lot of time and that doesn't make you a bad person. But at least you got the acknowledgment that you were wronged. That YOU didn't do anything wrong and thatYOU were the one who needed to be acknowledged. Take that and let it help you to feel string and brave and know that you are not going to take being hurt by people. And mom always has your back. Mom will never allow someone to hurt you and get away with it.

DH and I haven't talked more than six sentences since the counseling session. I took a hot shower last night (shed a few tears) and went to bed. DH was in the couch and stayed there for the night. No one told him to, that's where he stayed. Fine with me! Sleep there forever for all I care...or until life here is too miserable for you and your darlings that cause problems and you either put your foot down and be a parent, or move elsewhere!

Okay vent over. I feel better.

moeilijk's picture

I've been following your posts and I think you're really making some good choices. It doesn't look good for you and DH right now. How much can one person do to try to make a happy home life, getting kicked every time, before they give up?

Thank you for the encouragement. Not easy choices, but I have found in life that often the right choices to make are the hardest to make. Prior to this, even though it was always an argument and I hated that DH allowed it to cause fights between us. And at that time it was normal teenage behavior...this is NOT normal teenage behavior and the fact that I am still the heavy here taking the brunt of DH's anger and frustration has caused me to lose a lot of my feelings for DH. So I don't know where this will end. I do know that one of two things will come of it...DH will step up and be the parent and husband he needs to be, or DH and his brats will be on their own again. Either way, I know that my children and I will be fine. My kids would be devastated if DH and I were to divorce, as they truly love him, but I'm not fighting this fight for another four years until brat1 gets out of the house while brat2 starts to emulate brat1's behavior.

I use to be concerned that BM would take and twist things (because that's what she does) and at some point try to get custody from DH for the boys....now, I almost hope that's exactly what she does! Hell, I almost want to tell her the most recent thing. I want her to know we are FORCING ss14 to counseling. Please....TAKE THEM AWAY! And right now...at this point...she could take DH with her too.

I appreciate your kind words! I'm doing my best. For me and my kids. My kids certainly need to know their value and worth also, and they need to see mom not take that bullshit from anyone.

Oh notasm...thank you for that! I read it and truly chuckled out loud and it's still cracking me up....

No shirt Sherlock...

Too funny! Thanks for the giggle and grin!

Easylikesundaymornin's picture

It's interesting that while in your session he could not verbalize exactly how ss felt sorry. I honestly think your DH is sorry not the ss. If ss was sorry why not tell you at that point how he felt. A normal reaction is what your DH feels but he can't tell you a story that isn't true. So you called him out on it n he scrambled n walk out. What a way to handle such an incredibly emotional situation. Buck up Daddio ~ you can't own your sons feelings ~ he needs to.

I often think of my relationship as a rock n with every lie , every hurt action that relationship begins to get chiseled away if not repaired your relationship will crumble. In therapy you are exactly asking DH what you need from him n he is not protecting the victim ( victim being your daughter)

You are your daughters advocate continue to stay on your path. You might lost DH in the process but your daughter is what's important.

That's exactly how I feel easy....DH , YOU are sorry for SS's behavior and actions...YOU, not SS, and that is the problem. YOU, DH need to understand that you can't accept responsibility on your son's behalf, YOU can't fix something SS did, only he can. What YOU CAN do is show SS the proper way to be a person that people trust and want to be around. A good person. That is what you can do, by holding him responsible and accountable.

Why is it so difficult to speak to our kids and tell them when you are wrong you APOLOGIZE for your behavior ~ for the wrongs you have done and for the feelings you have hurt.

Protecting his child and not teaching him how to apologize is disgusting. Protecting him is just swiping the issue under the carpet.

I am going to lose it like really lose my mind. I want to scream!! I want to just unleash! Dh had DD ask me if I wanted a grilled cheese sand which. Apparently he was making one for her and him. My response was a polite no thank you I'm not hungry. I'm not. My guts are twisted and I'm so stressed and angry that I would most likely vomit anything I put in my mouth anyway. DH makes a sandwich anyway. Walks into the DR and says here hanging. I replied, thank you but I'm not hungry. I said that I didn't want anything. DH says "you need to eat! You haven't eaten in two days!" Okay...I have not eaten since the very emotional and heated counseling session yesterday. Because I have been on knots since then. But that was yesterday late afternoon not two days...another fine example of DH's over dramatization at it's best. Second, I'm a GROWN ASS WOMAN!! I will eat when I am hungry and want to eat! Third...right now DH I don't want a fucking thing from you!!! So DD eats her sandwich and I had told her she could have mine if she so wanted. She didn't so she asks DH what should I do with it? DH proceeds to say to her, "well throw it in the garbage then. If your mother wants to starve herself fine. She hasn't eaten in two days but if she's wants to starve and get sick let her ". I was FURIOUS!! So DD is upset and I take her aside and say, "sweetheart mom is not starving herself. I'm just not hungry. I didn't eat dinner last night but that was because I wasn't hungry then either. I'm not feeling the greatest, my belly is a little queasy so I just don't want anything right now. I'm fine. It's like when you don't feel well and you don't want to eat. Same thing". I them go out to the garage, where DH has stomped off to. I walk in and say, " DO NOT PULL MY KID INTO THIS. DO NOT TELL HER THINGS LIKE THAT! This is between you and I, and your lack of ability to be a husband and a parent. She is a child and you have no business putting her in this." DH gets angry and says "whatever hanging. You're worse today the. You were yesterday. Nothing is good enough for you. SS apologized to DD like the counselor suggested he at least start here and that's not good enough for you! All this going on but when DS7 lied about having underwear on the other day you went up and scolded him and that was it...but MY kid lies and it's the end of the fucking world!" Well I had to reign myself in from completely flying off the handle, although I was not exactly calm. I replied, " are you SERIOUSLY comparing a 7 yr old saying he had underwear on when he didn't to what SS14 did? Are you comparing that to lying about your sister molesting you? Are you out of your god forsaken mind!!?? And yes! He did get a scolding...there want much more I could do considering he was leaving to go with his father in three minutes! And as far as being worse than yesterday and nothing being good enough...he did apologize...he did take a step...that doesn't mean all is fine and you know that. But I never said it wasn't good. My attitude and not speaking to you has to do with YOU AND YOUR BEHAVIOR not SS's. You and the fucking bullshit about storming off during counseling and slamming doors! You and your lack of support to ME as YOUR WIFE! The fact that you will let anyone try to hurt me, talk poorly of me, or cause problems and you DO NOT STAND UP FOR ME! I have NEVER allowed anyone to do any of those things to you and made excuses. I have NEVER gotten angry at you and fought and yelled and cussed at you for holding my kids responsible for anything the may do. I have NEVER not stood up for you and let other people talk poorly or treat you poorly regardless of who it is. I HAVE right in front of you stuck up for you even to my own kids if they have been disrespectful to you. And I did it without being angry at you or cussing at you when it was over. This is about YOU AND YOUR ACTIONS not SS's. His are being dealt with." And as I am talking he starts mocking me...silently...moving his mouth, standing and portraying me. And then I lost it more. I said does that make you feel better? Does that make you feel good? Mocking your wife. Let me try and see if it makes me feel better kicking you...I'll start slamming doors and stomping around and the like. Grow the fuck up!! I will NO LONGER stand for being disrespected in my home by you or anyone else. And THAT is the problem. Because YOU TOO are getting held accountable for the way you treat me!" I got a whatever, you're never wrong it's always someone else's fault because you're perfect! I just walked away, told my kids to get shoes on and let's go for a ride. So over him. So over his bullshit attitude. The family counseling was supposed to help us deal with the stresses on our marriage. All it's been so far is fighting about SS14 and holding him accountable. Not how to work through this TOGETHER. He's an ass...and every day I'm resenting him more and more. I don't even want to be in the same room as him. And DS7 is asking about having family movie night and what we could watch. It's something we usually do once a week...I don't want to be near DH but how do I tell DS7 no I hate your stepfather right now? I want to scream!!

IslandGal's picture

OMG what a total asswipe!! He is an immature low life piece of scum for doing that to your child! My God, that would earn him the biggest fuckin' tongue lashing from me.... I would dead fucking set seriously consider booting his and his useless spawn's ass out the door for this!!

Oh believe me!! He got a tongue lashing and then some!! I have calmed down a bit but there were some words spoken this weekend...and there is no DENYING he knows exactly where I stand and where he will be if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass! The frustrating part is that DH can be very strict...actually at times where I think "don't get so upset about that, it's a minor issue..." but when it comes to this ONE kid...he is an idiot! And my MIL is CONSTANTLY meddling when it comes to this kid. This kid is a manipulator..last summer it was "I want to live with mom (BM)" about two months before the wedding...because he wasn't getting what he wanted. I told DH, let him go...he will see what exactly it is like living with mom. So SS was going to go...and I said,"I'm sorry but before you leave, you can leave your cell phone here...and your new clothes...you will need them here when you come to visit" His reply was "but I need a phone" Ummm...no you don't NEED a phone...we pay for one for you as a privilege...but WE pay it, so WE can get a hold of you if necessary while you are with us...if you NEED a phone...you can talk to mom about getting you one...because the one WE pay for....stays here. He stayed for about a month...then wanted to come back...so it's a constant play on DH and his emotions with this kid...and MIL adds to it...and I've had it.

Rags's picture

Change the locks and put he and his toxic spawn out on the curb. Take care of yourself and your children.

I would not tolerate this crap for one more second were I you.

IslandGal's picture

Yep! Absolutely!! This dickwad does NOT deserve Hanging - he needs to be kicked to the goddamn kerb! - him and his uselesss spawn!

Hanging ~

The way you DH is handling everything is like he is looking for constant reassurance as I did what I was suppose to do ???? Ummmm yes but you make it out to be so against your will.

He is emotionally supporting his son right now ~ ( coddling him ) and just letting your emotional well being just flap in the wind.

When I was in therapy it was more of my therapist helping me figure out what I was gonna do. She never told me what to do ~ just made me answer the hard questions n search my soul for what my needs/wants were and if they were being meant. If they were verbalize what you exactly need/want from hubby and from there it's up to them to show some action or lack there of which in itself was telling me something.

I wish you peace ~ I hope you find your answers in all of this ugly mess.

To me he sounds like he wants to be your partner ~ but you two are communicating in different languages. Just when I think he has empathy ~ he goes selfish. Hanging ~ you need an active partner right now who is willing to acknowledge n hold his kid responsible for his actions. Not another child !!!

moeilijk's picture

Wow. Ok, we all have moments of immaturity, but your DH doesn't seem to have any moments of maturity. If he showed he regretted his actions and took steps to improve, and I loved him, I would move on and forgive/forget his poor conduct towards me.

I don't think I could continue on with him knowing how he treats my daughter. I suspect he would say things to scare them when I wasn't there. And that would be an absolute dealbreaker for me.

How sad for your whole family.