You are here

Just need to vent!

Kay2's picture

I can't help but disagree with my BFs parenting style. His daugher is five, and she runs the show. For example, she wanted mac and cheese the other day, she got upset and started crying because it was shells and cheese instead of elbow mac. So what does BF do? "Daddy would really like it if you would eat some of this." She was trying to pick up a rather large glass jar of apple sauce the other day, BF didn't want her picking it up for fear she might drop it. When he went to take it from her, she tried to yank it away from him. What does he say "Daddy would really feel better if you would give it to me." I have serious problems with this child when I am alone with her (which is about 8 hours a day five days a week) She is demanding, she NEVER says please or thank you, I am usually lucky to get a two word sentence out of her. I know she is young and all, but I am getting REALLY tired of hearing that she is only five. I have no children of my own so maybe I am being unreasonable. Should I really have to reason with a five year old? Why can't no just be no? It was when I was little, I knew if I was told no, that I had better comply and maybe ask questions later, but he allows this child to run circles around him. I have a REAL problem with her trying to run them around me as well. Is it a good idea to try to talk to BF about this? Her being his "little princess" and all?

AVDetroit's picture

The precedent that your BF is setting is that the 5 y/o is in charge. 'Daddy would feel better...' isn't a concrete reason to stop behavior he doesn't like. Even at a young age its easy to teach someone that there is a reason for doing or not doing something.

But also when the adults that are in charge say 'No', it should be expected that the children listen because the adults are the ones in charge. The kids are still learning responsibility from those that are already responsible for them.

christinen's picture

I know how you are feeling! My boyfriend has a 2 1/2 year old daughter who runs the show. He will not tell her "no". He asks her if she wants to go to bed. I'm like it's bedtime, why does it matter if she wants to go to bed!? Ughh!!