You are here

Internal and External Issues-Not Kids Fault

2and2Family's picture

I am a stepmom to 2 SDs (8&11). I came into their lives when they were 2&4, and by the next yr I had moved in, started providing light care, and enrolled them in ballet. Fast forward to now-me and DH are 3yrs married and I have I bio son (age 1) and 1 son on the way. I am IN LOVE with my bio son and have never felt that way about the girls. I often worry if I love them at all, or if I am driven to care, provide and enrich their lives out of duty/responsibility due to the difference in how I feel. I also resent them at times due to my expectations of behavior/responsibility, but realize that their father is to blame. Externally, we argue often about parenting style-issues (He's more lax/fun parent, while I'm more strict/structured) and I have felt disrespected by him interfering with my simple commands (go read a book, stop playing ball in the house, etc ). As a result, I have snapped at husband multiple times in front of the kids (never yell at the kids), and they all have labeled me as "mean" or "moody". When I feel attacked in this way, I focus in on myson and ignore husband and the children for the rest or the day. I believe this may only get worse when 2nd son comes in. It has gotten as bad as me visualizing divorce or getting a separate apartment to move to. I am worried that the external issues mixed with my own internal issues with stepparenting will lead to a full separation of our family one day. 

Anyone else struggle with feelings of love/attachment to Steps? I know I am not alone in having parenting conflicts with a spouse. 

simifan's picture

I don't think you can or should love steps the same way you love bios or even adopted kids. Skids were not your choice to have - they're baggage. Skid schedules often rule, interupt or change plans. Skids have parents - you and your SO are not a team here. Even with the most enlightened SO, if Skid mom & skid dad agree - often your opinion doesn't matter. Your relationship with skids is at the mercy of SO -  it's never a level playing field. Finally, skids can be taken from you at any moment - without recourse. 

I don't think these mean you can't love or have a good relationship with skids but it isn't the same as bios. You don't love skids unconditionally & That's ok. They already have parents that do. 

Rags's picture

Every love is unique.  I would say based on the actions of love that you take with your Skids that you do love them.

Not as  you live  your BS and your TBD BS as well, but it is love.

Before the noun version of love can flourish, the verb version has to occur.  Even with BK's if there is no verb love element. anyone claiming that they love their kid is full of shit.

Love is action, not feelings.

IMHO of course.