You are here

If we don't fix "it" then we are chosing for "it" to remain OUR problem!

Rags's picture

I have been a STalker for many, many years. It is a community for venting, getting support, developing strategies for dealing with the Skids, the weak and Disney SOs, the toxic Xs and opposition, and the idiot family court bottom 10%ers of the legal profession minions, and solving problems. We seem to have taken a turn to being much focused on playing games with our Skids and SOs rather than confronting, addressing, solving or at least improving our SParenting issues and relationship situations.

As a community we seem to go through waves of focus as the membership, changes, ebbs and flows.

When I first joined, STalk seemed to be about venting and dealing with Skid issues. Over time it started to shift to battling the Xs and blended family opposition, then evolved to CS and family law issues, transitioned to working with our partners to improve our own comprehensive blended family issues and challenges, progressed to the relative benefits , advantages, and disadvantages to disengagement from our Skids, Xs and in some cases our own partners, and now to an interesting and IMHO an alarming active subversive gorilla campaign of setting up, undermining, and driving the drama and failure of Skids and even our own SOs. All of the elements of SParenting are still present and get air time but I struggle to find a commitment to problem resolution. I would equate it to getting eternal shots of Novocain for a tooth ache rather than fixing or pulling the offending tooth.

IMHO if we do not focus on confronting, conquering, and resolving the plethora of issues in the blended family dynamic then we are just wasting our own time, effort, and emotion on what is ultimately a lost cause.

At what point does a blended family situation and all of the associated problems become our problem to solve rather than just experience and suffer through?

Whether Skids are very young toddlers, preteens, teens, young post teen adults, or fully fledged adults, whether our SOs are full equity partners in our lives together with intermittent addressable issues or incubi or succubae to some level with much larger issues, or whether the Xs/opposition are reasonable or toxic if we do not address the core issues, drive and insist on solutions rather than iterative tolerance of bullshit why are we in the relationships that we are in?

My own situation has become so pleasant that I struggle not to get complacent. I spend a bunch of time working out how to demonstrate to my bride that she is and will always be my muse, my sunshine, and my inspiration without being too sappy on the one hand or on the other hand not to take each other for granted. My Skid is doing well, my family are their usual incredible selves, my ILs are on an extended and decidedly positive and progressing tangent from their usual circular repetitive victimhood and failure path. The strategies that my bride and I have developed, evolved and executed over a couple of decades have delivered defeat of the toxic Sperm Clan and victory for us. We have focused and continue to focus on fixing, eliminating, or circumventing problems and it has worked…. At least for us.

I believe that that even in a SParent/Blended Family situation if problems are clearly identified, isolated, and confronted they can be resolved. To not deal with them is to accept and tolerate them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rags

Rags's picture

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head in far fewer words than I took working through my original past.

Thanks.

TheLadyTremaine's picture

I have not been around for nearly as long as you, I'm sure. So I don't have nearly your perspective but there is a lot of smack talked and not a whole lot of problem solving going on. However, I don't believe the issues of a blended family can ever be the step's to solve.

Thinking about being a step along the lines of Al-Anon and addiction within the family has helped me at times to not hold myself responsible for things I can't control while controlling the things I can. Like someone else's addiction, the problems of the blended family are often not created by steps but they can be perpetuate by us. Venting is ok, even good but in order to be happy, we need to focus on ourselves, be a little selfish in a way.

An addict is going to use or not use and there is little someone else can do about it. Trying to control the situation makes things worse. The way to help a family member dealing with addition is to keep yourself safe (physically, emotionally, financially), support steps in the right direction and do the 12 steps yourself.

It seems many of us could and have benefitted from giving this a try; keep ourselves and our own kids safe, encourage SO when he/she does well, and work on ourselves (a core issue indeed), not as steps but as human beings. None of this will "fix" your family or SKs or the ex but it can bring a little sense of peace. Its almost as if acknowledging you have no control over others brings a sense of control.

Not trying to be preachy as I suck at this most of the time but once in a while, I see the light! So glad to hear someone has worked things out!

Rags's picture

Thanks for the perspective. We all deal with this differently. I think the big differentiator between blended family situations is how effectively the issues are dealt with.

But ... they must be dealt with. IMHO ignoring them is tantamount to acceptance and is just a loosing effort over time.

For me ... I want to be successful in my Step role, my husband role, and address the issues as they arrise ether directly myself or in support of my bride and my skid. I struggle with the acceptance part of any problem that I cannot directly address. In those situations I work to isolate and move past them. If they remain isolated and do not resurrect themselves then great ... if they resurrect themselves then I am far less tolerant of their existence. Only a few have remained and those will be gone in time. Upon the demise of my Skid's Sperm Grandhag! }:)

Fortunately we have dealt with her effectively enough over the years that she very rarely crawls out from under her slime covered rock.

That has worked for me ... us.

I think the 12 step perspective you have referenced may be far less stressful in the long run than the full confrontation method I have followed.

Thanks again.

hereiam's picture

I did not find this site until my SD was 21 and married and I agree with meerkat, I like to think that I would not have tolerated a lot of situations that I read about here.

I was fairly lucky with SD, she was not badly behaved. Her mother is a lunatic (crazy bitch, actually) but my DH did not allow her to run our lives.

Having never had children nor been divorced, I was not willing to just accept a complete change in my day to day life brought on by someone else's baggage. Yes, I knew there were going to be some changes but a constant battle? No, thanks. My DH understood that and we worked as a team.

FrackturedBradyBunch's picture

I really don't think everything is "fixable"....10 years down the track and just last night my husband is still enabling, heck covering up for bad behaviour.

I can't leave yet, yes, that is my only way to fix it, so this forum gives me the sounding board and acknowledgement that I am not alone and not crazy. For that I am thankful for ♥

Rags's picture

We are all human with faults, nicks, and scratches. Not every issue can be fixed but I do believe every one of them can be addressed and dealt with on some level.

My world is very black and white. Something is either acceptable or it is not. If not, then I address it. Not always successfully but it does get addressed.

Fortunately for me I was blessed/won the parent lottery with amazing parents and am sharing lives with an incredible bride that tolerates my mistakes, will let the wind out of my sails when I get a little full of myself, will partner with me in all things, and probably most importantly will tell me to knock it off and deal with it when I fixate on a problem that is not worth the time to fix.

Sometimes the view is not worth the climb. Not something I am ever comfortable doing but some times it truly is what it is, I accept it and move on. >:-\

Thanks for the discussion folks.