You are here

I think I'm losing my mind!

Aphrodite3010's picture

I have a 13 yo SD, a 2 year old son and one on the way and my relationship with my SD is quickly going downhill. Tonight I realized the main reason I struggle is she is extremely passive aggressive, an attribute I loathe in a person. We got into an arguement this morning (more where I just vented and yelled and she sat like a bump) because she lies about everything, today it was that a part of the table just fell off on its own, not that she broke it, it just fell off on its own. I cannot handle the stupid lies about EVERYTHING!! I have struggled for years with the lying, she lies about everything, homework, hygiene, chores, just everything. Even if I am standing right in front of her with the proof and have given her multiple chances to tell the truth, lies. She is also rebellious but in a passive manor, such as refusing to brush her teeth, refusing to do her homework and lying about it, procrastination of any chore or task asked of her. She will do them eventually but you must remind her constantly, I feel at 13 I shouldnt have to tell someone to brush her teeth, it drives me mad! Ive tried talking to my husband about the things that bug me about the situation and he has frustrations too but thinks I'm just being too hard on her. More than anything I'm just so burned out on it, I constantly have to repeat myself to get anything done right, I am admittedly an anal retentive person, this is nothing new but sometimes she asks just the dumbest questions, things she knows the answers too just doesnt bother to put any thought into it. We've tried everything, punishment, reward, making her pick her own punishment, incentives, we've had in depth talks with her, made her write papers on responsibility, hygiene, how she can better her living situation here, etc. It goes on and on...

Her BM is of absolutely no help, she undermines anything we try to enforce right in front of us, she claims we treat her daughter as a slave, that we dont care about anything but her grades, that if we would just allow her to live with her mom things would be so much better, etc. My SD would like to live with her BM, however her BM has made extremely inappropriate decisions while SD is in her care (ie, BM exposed SD to a man who molested BM and then lied to us about it), she's instructed SD to lie to us, and we simply do not trust her. Her mother is also extremely passive aggressive, if there is ever an issue between DH and BM, she instructs SD to call her father (my husband has told SD that there will be no discussion between child and parent about parental arrangements/rights, that BM has to speak directly to him), she won't speak to me, only sends me nasty texts when she is mad with me, does not arrive to any functions of SD nor care about her schooling in anyway. SD has said she wants her mother to pay more attention to her and care about her but I cannot make her mother care, some people just aren't parents.

Needless to say, I'm losing my mind....I don't care to be around SD and most days cannot wait until she moves out....I don't know what to do anymore....

Aphrodite3010's picture

He and I got into last night because he said that I sound evil when I speak about her, and I simply told him I've had enough and if she's not going to get her crap together and start figuring things out then so be it, I'll sound evil but Im at my breaking point, Ive told him I'm about ready to snap, I called him crying yesterday about it. I think he feels I'm just blowing it out of proportion (and on small things its possible but to me, it just all adds up and compounds) and that I'm being too hard on her. We have therapy tonight so hopefully we can kind of figure something out....

emotionaly beat up's picture

Sorry, I guess at 13 she sees that mom's house would be "rule" free and she thinks that you two are stopping her from having a good life. At 13 who wouldn't think that. I imagine she is just trying to force you guys to send her packing to mom's. I can well understand this driving you mad.

All I can say is you really must be doing a good job to be putting in all this effort with her and you are to be congratulated. I guess the sooner she realises no matter how hard she pushes your buttons she is not going to be handed over to mom then the sooner she will get tired of the game playing and settle down well, hopefully anyway.

Good Luck, I imagine the best is yet to come Smile

Aphrodite3010's picture

Its been 8 years, I honestly don't know how much more I can take, her therapist thinks there may be something psychologically wrong bcause she shows little to no remorse for her actions (she was playing with matches and almost set her grandmothers house on fire and never even cared until she was told SHE could die) and her therapist said that although she can repeat what we spoke to her about this issue and others word for word, its obvious she doesnt care about it.

I just don't know how to raise a child like this and not end up in a mental hospital....

duct_tape's picture

"Because quite frankly, the step parents didn't create the monster attitudes. They are just setting boundaries that alot of these kids have never had to deal with before from adults. So, their reactions are going to be vicious. It is what it is."

OMG, that is so true. That sums up this entire site. Bravo!

duct_tape's picture

What is her relationship like with her father. Do they get along, except for the issues that YOU bring to the table? Be honest.

duct_tape's picture

I've been in this position before, (except for the lying) but I was the girl!!! Let me let you in on a little secret. Here's the pattern of behavior.

Girl wants attention.
Girl is naturally lazy.
Girl lies, doesn't perform, acts lazy.
Girl gets attention.
Everyone talks about, argues about, is concerned about girl.
Girl is happy, because she controls everyone right now.

Everyone stops.
Everyone just lets girl rot.
Girl wants attention and realizes that the game has changed.
Girl changes.

duct_tape's picture

If she wanted you to dislike her, if she really didn't care, she would be rotten and evil. Passive aggressive behavior is a way of accomplishing a goal, but with a bit of damage control. She is not with her real mom, her father is some what disinterested, and low and behold here you are. You are the hyper-super-anal-retentive type whom she can get a rise out of. You notice her. You must care alot deep down inside. You say you've tried positive reinforcement? Well you didn't do it long enough and you let her in on the secret. It has to be covert. Just ignore her. And regarding the lying. She breaks something and then you question her as to whether she's guilty? You should stop. You know if she's guilty, there'e no one else who's around that could have done it. She is controlling you like a puppet. Something broke? Pick it up and throw it away. She's watching. Just say, "hmm. trash." Then ask her if she wants to go to the store with you. Be merry and cheery. FAKE IT. You will start controlling her in no time.

Aphrodite3010's picture

It never really occurred to me to just disengage, but I think its something I definitely will do bc quite frankly I'm tired of the constant bs that goes on. And I do think she does it for attention, but shes looking for attention from her mother and thats not going to happen and thats between her and her mom. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and comments. Obviously I have a few things to work on myself (such as being overbearing or whatever) but Im not going to bang my head into the wall anymore over this, I'm beating a dead horse and I'll most likely be happier.

How exactly do you disengage though? I struggle with that bc I often feel that if I dont do something, it wont get done, such as making sure her homework is done, teeth brushed, laundry done etc.....maybe I'm just too much of a control freak....