You are here

I need some advice.

Luna1234567's picture

Dear step parents,

Help me out......
I had my baby boy last month and i love him more than anything. After having my son
I have decided to try to bond with my ss6 once again because he is now the brother
Of my child. It's not working. ...I feel so fake =(.
I can't even pretend to like him
..it is so weird. Even when I ask him about his day at school..it seems
like I'm just being fake. He was reading the other day and hubby was so excited
and told me to come listen and it was probably so obvious that I didn't care.
When hubby talks about missing his son I feel like it's so obvious I dont care
and it bothers me when hubby looks at me to see a reaction but he sees nothing at all.
Now that he sees the way I with my son I think he's starting to realize how
little I love his son.........and now I'm wondrinf if this will make him love me less.

I wish he never had a child from his past.....than he wouldn't expect what I can't give.
Now......stepson on the other hand has been sooo annoying...now when
he doesn't get what he wants he starts crying like thw baby.."waaaah..waaaaah!"
and with his loud voice it's just not cute.
He has always been so clingy and stuck hos dad bit ever since i had thw baby...
the kid doesn't take his eyes off of us
He almost seems jealous.....he keeps asking his dad why I love the baby so much
and why the baby loves me more....I feel like he wants me to treat him the way I treat
my baby...but I don't get it...mean he has his mother for that....I can't even breastfeed in
peac3 because he would follow me and try to watch the whole time. ....I am not comfortable breastfeeding in front of any one so it's really annoying.
The last time he was here...he said he doesn't like the baby. ..anyway...I don't want him to feel unloved and jealous and I also don't want hubby to notice my total lack of love
for his child so I would like to leave all day when he's here on weekends.
Do you think it's a good idea...I'm not sure where I plan on spending my time
but I really want to be gone....=(.....I don't want anyone to hate me because I can't love.
I myself can't understand what it is anymore...because stepson has not been so
mean to me lately but I still can't love him.

Luna1234567's picture

And it feels like my whole day is spoiled when he's around because
Everything changes and he still sleeps in our bed...I stopped sleeping in the
bed when he's here hoping hubby will do something but nothing has changed
and I have tried talking to hubby about his son in the past, we had so many
fights because of him...so I don't want to talk anymore because I'm tired
of fighting.

Luna1234567's picture

So my question is do u think leaving during the weekend or being
out all day would be a good idea?

love_my_shichi's picture

Wow! My future ss10 does the exact whiney baby thing when told no and I HATE IT SO MUCH. I feel for you tremendously. He even does it in public and its SO PATHETIC AND EMBARRASSING. I think maybe it used to work or something....now come to think of it all three siblings do it but he is youngest and does it loudest. What a disservice his parents did him with the coddling and spoiling. Anyways....onecomment: SS 6 SHOULD SOOOOO NOT BE SLEEPING IN YOUR BED. HELLO? As far as what you should do; uh....you have some major issues darling. You have every right to be uncomfortable having a 6 year old in your bed. That's crazy.

my.kids.mom's picture

I am a proponent of co-sleeping, and I agree the skid needs outta your bed.

More importantly, there is a real issue here. I think most of us can relate to how you're feeling, but I have never known a 6 yr old to notice the disdain to this degree. Something needs to change. I think you need to be honest with dh and just say, look, we both need to be in/out of the house to avoid each other as much as possible because I just can't fake it enough. He should do it for his son, not for you. This is only going to grow into a bigger problem if left alone. I feel sorry for you, but I also feel sorry for the boy. Dad should be realistic and do what needs to be done. He can't just look away or hope something is going to change. I see counseling in somebody's future...

Orange County Ca's picture

I don't read about the kid doing anything abnormal. I.e. nothing that would not happen in a intact family consisting of the four of you. Your feelings are understandable and on the edge or normalicy. By that I mean its normal for you to lean towards your own flesh and blood, you've invested a lot in having a kid - all mothers do, and very little in your husbands first born.

Frankly it was a mistake to bring a child into this situation but now that it exists you're going to have to act like an adult or your child will become a second child victim of their parents mistakes.

Get professional counseling. If possile from someone who specializes in broken families or step-parenting. You need to come to a logical understanding that the boy is not a threat to your child. If you cannot comes to terms with this you will have created a situation which will result in the breaking up of your marriage and there are no unwounded children in a divorce.

So if you wish your childs father and mother to remain married and live in a amicable family environment you're going to have to set aside these feelings and do a better job of faking it. I simply cannot believe that you cannot sit down and applaud a 6 year olds triumphs in reading skills. Have you done any research as to how older children react when a new baby is introduced? I thought not. It's time to do so. Either make this work or you too will be a single parent much like the mother of the boy you are fruitlessly trying to keep from becoming a member of your family.

If you don't do something quickly your husband is going to learn to hate you, your child and the situation you're creating and this will not bode well for you or your child.

Luna1234567's picture

How was having a child with the man I love a mistake? Because he already had a child?
Should the whole world revolve around this boy who comes from a broken home?
I think not. Half of us if not most of us come from broken homes...that doesn't mean
everyone elses life should be messed up or that we are special pr something.
don't appreciate
Your comment. I came here for advice...not judgment.
If you have read any of my previous posts you would know how hard I
Have tried in the past to bond with my stepkid but he and his mom made
that nearly impossible. This child takes over everything when he's here
and had to be the centre of attention....he keeps waking the baby when
he's here because he's so loud and plays basket ball all day...Inside the apartment.
The baby and I have been sleeping on the futon in the living room while he's hete because
he takes over the bwd when he's here...so I AM trying my best to not hurt him. ...but I refuse to treat
him the way I treat my baby for 2 reasons 1. I don't love him (and he's not a victim because he has a mother in his life who
can give him love.) 2. He ALREADY HAD HIS CHANCE TO BE A BABY and he was taken care of very well.
Why should my baby have less?.....We haven't even got a crib for my son yet...and got him
a second hand stroller because of all child support hubby pays .
My son will always have less because of my stepson....my stepson is not
a victim...so what if his parents are divorced, he was too young to even
remember them ever being together....and he still has both parents in his life.
If he wants me to do for him now what I do for my baby...or baby him the
same way it's not because he lacks love it's because he wants to have
all the attention all the time as usual......and yes I'm tired of it. I've been in this for
4 years now.....and it really gets on my nerves when people talk about the stepkid
like he is some sort of victim and the world has to stop when he's here.
I don't even care how bitchy i may seem in this post....everyone always empathizes
with the stepkids and no one understands half the shit us stepmoms go through.
Do you thinl my husband has empathy for me...or his son. ..or his ex?
No....they all just expect me to deal with it and meanwhile I have to care
about everyone else's feelings because of some stupid past that I was never even
a part of......I am tired of giving and getting nothing. ...I was 21 when I became
a stepmom....and dealing with all this drama because I fell in love is too
much for me.Why do I haveto think of everyone in this blended family while
no one thinks of me......This is the bullshit life of a stepmom.

Luna1234567's picture

And I never said that my step son is a threat to my child. ..I said I dont
wanty step son being hurt because I can't care for him the way I do
for my child.
I don't think counseling can help. It can't make him love me or me love him
and it won't change the evil mother he has. Counseling doesn't work in every situation..
...and we can not afford it.

sterlingsilver's picture

I agree with what OCC^ said. I had some of this with my own 3 kids. When my youngest was born my 2 yr old toddler son started acting like a baby and wanted allllll my attention. It was easier b/c he was also my own flesh and blood but one thing I NEVER allowed was more then just the baby in our bed at night. I drew the line for everyone's health. You all need a good night's sleep and own beds. I always brought the new born into bed to nurse and at times fell asleep while doing so but mostly had a cradle right beside my own bed. The older children stayed in their own beds at night. You have to talk openly to you dh about how you feel. You can be nice without faking it or feeling guilty about it. I act nice to my ss15 all the time and he knows it and I know it but we are civil (most of the time). Your ss6 will slowly get used to this baby. Maybe involve him in going and getting the diaper for changing, helping with bathing baby by reaching for the soap, or other things. My older kids loved to "help" all the time. If you only have this kid 4 days a month, take those days to really include him in the baby care and see what happens. When you are nursing baby and the phone rings have him answer for you, or having him run and get the burping cloth. Try to include him and see how he will be "your lil man"!! He will suddenly light up and act like big brother and start being protective etc.