You are here

I need advice, because i don't know what to do anymore!!

melektra's picture

I am 28 years old and I am SM to my husbands kids from a full year. Probably you are going to laugh at me, but i thought things could be great in this relationship. Kids seemed to be great until those past couple of days. Something was so horribly wrong and when my husband had a chat with his ex and the kids, they did the unthinkable for me..still shivering with pain and anger..from what has been said.I'll try to keep it short.I do everything for his kids- ask them what they want for breakfast and do it, what they want to do and we try to please them ( girl is 10, boy is 7 ) in every way, because they are with us only 2 weekedns in the mounth. Washing their clothes, because their mother is leaving them dirty and smelly, I always make sure they have sweets, lemonade and stuff like that. Bying them all the time things, and trying to teach them on good habits (mom is leaving her dirthy underwear in front of the toilet- they had guests that day and we were picking the kids) so I am just trying to help them. I don't want them to hate her (despite she is a horrible snake to me) and told them numerous time how much she loves them and she is trying to be the best mom for them....Anyway on that chat the kids said to my husband that: They are afraid of me, because of my temper, i was shouting at the boy to sit properly on the table, i told the girl, when she was trying my dress for a party that maybe we shoud get her a kids bra, then i closed the door to the bedroom, because her brother and father were walking arount the apartment and turn around to give her privacy and she said i was horrible, because i was in the room.I told her that she had some holes in the bra when she start wearing ones (it was from her mom) so i told her we can buy new ones and we can throw this one, but she told me then that she likes it, cause its from her mom, so i said ok, you can wear it if you want to. On my birthday which one was 10 days ago, they came, but she told her dad, that she came up with this strategy to avoid me, so she was with her grandma all the time and not around me...That it was 100 % wrong from me to say that i would like her to speak to me like she speaks with her mom....that i was evil, cold and that they wish it was another woman in their dads life...and the BITCH (their mother told my husband that i wasnt a pedagog!!! That woman has done nothing than trying to destroy my and my husbands life from when we got married....there are so many things that i can write here, but i don't think you can read all of them...PLEASE if someone can give me advice what to do, cause i am breaking, haven't stop crying for the past few days, i don't sleep well, i don't eat well and I am so scared if i have baby soon what to do, cause i don't want them around. And on top of everything they said they don't want to speak about it anymore, cause we were going to talk with them when our weekend comes which is next weekend and their mom called T (my husband) to ask for money all the time and that the kids said, he doesn't listen to them and just listen to me and they want to go out only with him for coffee and sweets... I started to hate those kids and i don't want them around, I am a horrible woman for it and hate myself that i hate kids.....and took everything i gave them and i throw it in the bin or burn it.....I am sick of them and their tryings to break us apart....please help me...... Sad

melektra's picture

Thank you so much for the fast answer!! I will sit down and read everything you send me on that link and will follow your advice!!!

SecondGeneration's picture

It sounds like you took on too much of a "parental" role.

Im 25, just about to marry, together 3 years. My SD is 5, BM and my fiance were never married and had split when SD was newborn, so they had 2 years prior my arrival to sort their crap out.

Obviously I can only go off what you've written here but to me, this whole asking them what they want for breakfast and making it, doing their washing, making sure they have sweets/snacks/treats, essentially doing little things to spoil them during their time in your house, has become too much. And the reason for that could be many things. It might be as simple as the skids are starting to see the differences in what YOU do for them and what their BM does for them (or in this case, doesnt do). Imagine being in BMs household in the morning with the kids asking for something for breakfast "well melektra would make it for us" what is BM going to say? She will say something negative.

And whilst its normal to want to do nice things for our step kids so that "we are friends" its rarely turns out well.

I cant help but ask how you started taking on so much of the day to day role. Where is dad at breakfast? Why isnt he the one ensuring there are snacks/treats for when his kids come to visit if thats what he wants?

But also, why are you making them breakfast at all?
My SD is 5 and she gets her own breakfast, she knows she can choose between cereal, fruit or breakfast yoghurts. Occasionally we will have a warm breakfast but thats on a rare basis and offer only.

But whatever, regardless of why this is the position you are in now, you cannot change what has already happened but you can determine how to deal with it moving forward.
Id be having a sit down with your partner and telling him that since the kids feel you are some "big, mean, scary" person then you are taking a massive step back and make sure he is backing you in doing so.
When the kids next come over you both need to sit down with them too and dad needs to lay the law. Have him tell them that hes really disappointed that they think so negatively of you, explain to them that if you were mean you wouldnt have done all those things for them. You need to actively deal with this negative opinion, they need to be explaining why. You need to give them examples, at 10 and 7 they are old enough to be able to do this.
Ask them, if they didnt like someone would they do X Y Z? How would they feel if dad told them that he thought they were mean and scary? Would that hurt their feelings?

I am a big believer in being honest with kids in an AGE appropriate manner.

And I love the plate analogy; take a plate, drop it on the floor so it breaks, say sorry to it, does it fix the plate? Yes you can glue it together but it will not be the same.
Explain about feelings like that, when presented with consequences for their words/actions they will possibly turn on waterworks and pull the sorry card.
You can take that apology depending on how truthful you believe it to be but you still take your step back. The days of reloading from you are over. From now on its down to dad to provide for them, if you feel the motivation to do something with or for them then you invite them to join you, but you cant/dont force them to join in.

melektra's picture

Thank you for your answer SecondGeneration!! Yes, you are right- I want to sit down with my husband and them and talk about the whole situation, but the ex is telling my husband that they do not want to speak about what happen( the chat he had with them), so I asked him why not, why leaving them to think it's ok to crap on other people who do so much for them and then just easy as 1,2,3 i do not want to talk about it, it's hard!!!!! WTF!!!! I am so angry and i decided I am not going to do absolutely nothing for them from now on. The problem with them is they can't eat many things!"I don't like cheese, yoghurt........bla bla bla...."so it's very hard with them and food. I always have to make things like tacos, order pizza, because they don't like many things and they are complayning. I agree with you about being honest with kids, but in my situation is not like i haven't spoken before with them how important is if they feel angry or sad or there is something bothering them for us to talk!!!! So we can solve the problem, if there is something i do wrong or T(my husband). Maybe you are right that this is spoiling!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to make sure they are having good time with us nothing else and i know she BM is talking crap about me all the time. we had such a big fight with T about it, because i want to sit and talk to see why they are saying all this, but what can i do if they do not want to???????? so i think I'm done, just gonna hide when they are here, avoid them and not do anything for them...PS: I love the plate anology, but i have the feeling they think there is a chance for T and BM to get back together and they are devorced ffrom 2 years, cause she cheated on him with one of his friends, until T was working in anoher country to support her and the kids...I really dunno. You seem so tough!!!! and i don't think I am....

Rags's picture

First quit letting this toxic BM and her rancid crotch nuggets steal your happiness. Quit catering to them. They are not infants. Quit asking them what they want and start telling them what they will do.

Set the rules in your home and hold them accountable for following those rules including standards of behavior and respect. If they choose to violate the rules and standards... bring the consequences down on them and make them rue the day they violated the rules. Ill behaved kids get only misery. Well behaved kids get a shot at an enjoyable experience in your home. Teach that lesson consistently and be happy while you do it. }:)

The best revenge to take against people like this BM and the toxic spawn she dropped with your DH is to live well and be happy. They can be reasonable and participate or they can live with the misery of the consequences for their decisions to not participate.

Your job is to be happy, and brind the pain when necessary.

Good luck.

melektra's picture

Thank you so much Rags for your motivating answer!! I will find the strenght not to hide in my room when they are here and talk with my husband about it. I do love him and i wanna be with him. Thank you

Cover1W's picture

Ok, you are ME when I first joined this site.
I did ALL of what you are doing.
The only difference is that DP did stick up for me big time a couple times to set the SDs straight.

We are doing well now, with little hitches along the way, and are able to talk rationally about SDs, expectations, and behavior. And he actually TOOK MY ADVICE the other day! Wow! We'll see if he follows through...

You've got to just stop doing it. No money, no time, no "extras."
You figure out what YOUR basic needs are in your household: clean house? quiet house? A good, grown-up food dinner once a week? OK to do laundry but not put it away? Dishes? Table/restaurant manners?
I made a beginning list of 3-4 items that I would NOT disengage from (clean shared living area, no SDs in bedroom without permission, no using furniture as gymnasium equipment, all laundry IN laundry baskets or it doesn't get washed) and stuck with it, gradually adding little things here and there after discussion with DP about rules.

It will never be easy - sometimes it's fun, we have good times together, but the heavy parenting is on the parents, not you. Get used to saying, "Ask your dad."

Get the book Stepmonster so you can understand the dynamics. It's not going to solve the problems, but it will make you aware of what's happening.

melektra's picture

Thank you so much for the answer and sorry for the late reply Biggrin tomorrow they are coming for first time after what the little monsters said and did. I don't think i have the strenght to do it. I don't want to see them or even hear their voice!! Am i a horrible person??? Today I didn't got to my school (learning new language) because i felt so depressed that they are coming tomorrow... AAhh, feeling so angry......... :sick:

Stepped in what momma's picture

Today is the day they arrive, hold that head high and never let em see you sweat!

If they think they got your number then guess what, they did!

I always think after an "incident" like yours that you should disengage a few weeks later so it can't be blamed on this issue. Make sense? This also lets the kids think "oh, everything is going to be the same", until BAM, they are hit in the face when they want you to get them pizza and you say "I'm sorry, I'm busy, you'll need to go ask your dad to help you". BEAUTIFUL!!!! OR you walk in eating a pizza SLICE, lol. Wink This way they know you ate without them.