You are here

"I expect you to be the daycare provider"

worst_stepmom_ever's picture

My DH and I have been married for a year, living together for 2. He is in the military and is gone frequently and even when he's home he has to work overnight every 3-4 days. Normally he has visitation EOWE but even that is usually cut short because since he has to work overnight and there is an ROFR in the decree. I have dealt with many children and SD3 is far beyond simply being "difficult" but god forbid I say anything about DH's perfect princess.

Well BM wanted to go on vacation and offered to "let" DH have SD3 for 3 weeks. DH couldn't get time off work. Originally my MIL was going to fly into town and stay with us during that time, so ok, sure, that visitation sounds fine.

MIL it turned out had already booked a trip with her sisters so she couldn't come and I said I didn't think we should take the visitation for a multitude of reasons:

1) DH works 12+ hours a day plus overnights every 3-4 days. He'd hardly be home to visit with SD, so I'D be the one having visitation. (He can't take leave right now)
2) SD and I do not have a good relationship. There is a lot of PAS going on as well as poor parenting and SD3 self harms and lashes out violently towards others (not to mention the screaming). I think that there is some kind of mental issue going on, but I think it's 10% that and 90% poor parenting.
3) I am currently dealing with physical and emotional issues that I am getting help for and the stress of going from hardly dealing with SD to being her primary caregiver for an extended period of time is too much for me to handle.

Well, of course, I could sense the resentment growing from DH and it's exploded lately with him pointing in my face telling me "YOU'RE the reason I'm not having visitation right now!" and "Any time is better than no time at all" and to top it off "What is your job then?" (I am currently staying at home after a horrific car accident and have been for about a year so DH is supporting myself and BD7 while I wait on the settlement from my case)

I told DH I'm willing to work on building a relationship with SD, but that I can't make any promises and I think it's unrealistic to expect me to be the daycare center when BM feels like going on a vacation/not paying for childcare. DH is acting like I'm the worst person on the planet and thinks it's unfair that I expect him to arrange visitations for when he can take leave. I even said that if it was an occasional watch her for a few hours/an overnight every one in a blue moon I could live with that, but 3-6 weeks is ridiculous and doesn't benefit anyone (except maybe him)

I brought DH to an appointment with my therapist who helped to explain why it's inappropriate and to help DH realize that he's taking out all the anger/guilt/resentment of SD being in a bad situation living with BM on me. He just didn't want to hear it. Now I've spent the past few days crying and feeling like DH hates me. It sucks because we had been TTC for almost a year and I've been undergoing fertility treatments and recently had a surgical procedure that was very painful to make it happen, and now he says he doesn't want to have a family with me.

I keep telling him that I can work on having a relationship with SD3 (reasonable enough I figure) but that it takes years to do and I can't promise when/if there will be a time where I feel comfortable watching SD on my own for that length of time. My grown-up mind knows that it's ridiculous to resent a child but it's kind of hard when that's literally the only thing that DH and I argue about.

herewegoagain's picture

AHOLE should've said to you BEFORE you got married that he was marrying you so that he had a free baby sitter…fu$%ck him!

LOL, I really do wish that I could tell him to stand down. Ironically, we are actually dual-mil (I'm a Reservist but have been unable to do much since the car accident) and I'm the higher ranking one!

DH pays a crapload in CS (double what I get for BD) and BM did not offer to reimburse/reduce CS in any way during that time. If she had, I would have been willing to use that money to enroll SD in some kind of summer fun type program during the day so that at least it wouldn't be 24/7 with all the long hours and overnights he has to work.

I agree that I think there should be room for compromise, and I told DH if it were just a few days or every once in a while or if he could have his parents stay for a portion of the time, then we could work it out. I also told him it's not that I'll NEVER be willing to watch SD for extended periods of time but that given the fact that she often throws tantrums at me and only in the past couple months stopped shouting "NO" and kicking/screaming when DH would ask SD if she wanted me to go somewhere with them but that we're just not there YET.

I guess as far as the finances go I should mention that for the first year of our relationship I was supporting HIM financially because prior to my accident I was making big $$$. My family also paid $9k in his legal fees to help him fight for visitation with SD in the first place and I pitched in another $3-5k as well.

I hear everyone on the not having a kid thing. It's just frustrating because I've been going through all these hormone treatments/surgery to make this happen (not to mention weaning off medications that I've needed since my accident) and now it seems like since I said "no" this one time to something that suddenly we need to call off all plans for the future. I got frustrated last night and told DH he has 4 options:

1) Get over his guilt about SD and realize that while she will always be a part of our family and important to us, divorce changes the nature of the relationship with kids for the noncustodial parent, and that life goes on and we shouldn't be martyrs for a three year old.
2) I can move out. (Which he said he doesn't want)
3) DH can go back to court, represent himself and fight for more visitation/joint custody (which I would support 100%) and I can work on my relationship with SD (it's hard to build anything with a kid you see less than 3 days a month)
4) He can go back to BM since that's the only way he'll see SD during any/all free time he has. (BM has BPD and was extremely abusive to DH)

I'm just so frustrated because I feel like he's acting childish that if he doesn't get what he wants/how he wants it then he's going to stomp his feet, mope around, and make everyone else miserable in the process.