You are here

How young is too young?

BuggiesMom's picture

What age does everyone think is old enough for kids to stay home by themselves? My BF's daughters are twins that just turned 11. BM just moved to the city of Cincinnati, where they know no-one and told us they are staying home alone today while she works. (She is a nurse that goes in around 7 and gets home around 6)...I say it is too young and I worry that if something happens to one of them that they know no one and could not get immediate help. Also, she does not have a land line. They rely on cell phones....What would you do? Once he told her he was against it, she claims to have found a sitter but won't give us her name or phone number (which leads me to believe she's lying). I say he drives down there (an hour away from us), contacts the local police and goes to the house. She has the girls so manipulated into thinking she is victimized by him that if he went and knocked on the door, I don't believe they would answer......

happy's picture

it truly depends on them and the 11 year old state of mind? Are they mature 11 year olds? I was babysitting all the neighborhood kids, infants on up. My sisters kids, were 2, 1, and 2 mos. And I stayed with them usually from 6 - 7 pm at night till 6-7 am the next morning. All 3 of them. SO I sincerely think it depends on maturity levels for these girls. Also do they know that there are weird people in the world? Do they know how to be cautious? ALl these questions should help you and DH figure out if they can handle there situation. Being worried is natural, and stuff, but you know whats best? Just ask yourself my questions and think of them and how you see them? It might help?
Happy

" make sure you tell the people you love most EVERYDAY.. Its important not only for them to know but for you to tell.. Life is to short to be miserable..

BuggiesMom's picture

One is and the other isn't and this is a new neighborhood to them where they know no one. She brought up during their divorce hearing that they were old enough to stay home alone and the magistrate said, "no...definitely not." Most importantly...they have no stranger danger as they are very naive and have been babied most of their lives.

I too babysat when I was 11/12 years old for neighborhood families but life was different then; a little girl could walk down the street without fear of being kidnapped and our kids were safe for the most part.....

Hesitant's picture

Which encompasses Cincinnati. According to my babysitter (who is certified by the Hamilton County Child Protective Services) to be left alone a child cannot be under the age of 12. Any child under that age is not to be left alone unsupervised, or Child Protective Servies can be called to investigate. At least that's what I was told!

BuggiesMom's picture

I wasn't sure about the age but personally felt 11 was too young. Sadly enough, we have several family members willing to watch her children for free but she refuses.

What a mess!

Thank you!