You are here

How do I help her, when she refuses to stick up for me

Sevenofthem's picture

I will try to be as general as possible, to keep this post from being a book. My girlfriend has 7 children, 5 at home, 2 grown. I am from the old school (oddly so considering she is 14 years my elder) and she is waaaay progressive, or so she thinks. She subscribes to the theory that punishing children is bad, and when verbally attacked by one of them, I get in more trouble for defending myself than they do for being loud, verbally abusive, or downright disrespectful. Each of these kids, as you might guess has their own set of issues that I attribute to a lack of structure. The 21 year old is very obviously gay, though she is in denial. The 19 year old, actually the best of the bunch, is a recent convert to the zeitgeist movement and swore off meat (hilarious considering he was a lover of the baconator at Wendy's). The 16 year old is very obviously an addict, and has had numerous run ins with the law, and with me, as the only true lasting punishment he has ever received is being grounded for a month for getting caught stealing medication of mine (more on that later). The 10 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD, and would lie if the truth sounded better, and argue with anyone, truly the most disrespectful child I have ever met. The 2 year old, who will listen to me when she isn't in sight, mainly because I have been here over half his life, and he knows I don't take crap. But if she is present will whine and cry and throw a fit for ANY, and Everything he wants and she tries to give it to him. And the 18 month old who is well adjusted because I have been here most of his life, and have taught him, through common sense, that no means no, and tantrums don't get him what he wants (except for fits for mommy, which is common for any toddler). Ok enough background on them. I have never in my life, including the 10+ years I was married, been so in love with a woman. So I try to let things fly, and even be supportive of her very flawed (admittedly) style, that is until I am disrespected, and it even has to be greatly so, before I get enough, and have to try to defend myself.
Point in case. Three days ago, the 10 year old became angry and extremely disrespectful, when I wouldn't jump up and let him have control of the television, after the younger two were in bed. After spewing some trash talk, trying to get under my skin, unsuccessfully, he went into the kitchen, for a snack. Right next to the 1&2 year olds bedroom, at 1 or so in the morning. He ran back into the livingroom, in hysterics and screaming like a girl, I jumped up and followed to find a little spider on the floor. I stepped on it and tried to shush him before he woke the little ones, but he was still screaming, and I had to grab him hand over mout to get him out of the kitchen, and quiet enough to try and remind him, as if he didn't know that he was going to wake them up. He flailed and slapped the glasses clean off of my face, and I told him to just go to his room and his mother would be in shortly, as I was two angry to even discus it. She works from home, and was doing so in our room, on the computer. She, of course without anything but firm talking to, tried to correct him, especially the line of hateful, " I can't live with you" crap that he tries to spew at me, he gets as dirty as possible, quite alarmingly so, any time he views himself as being on the defensive. I mean there is no limit to how far he will go. With me or anyone else, including her, and then is the only time, when he goes after her, that she has ever spanked any of them, to my knowledge. Anyway it spilled over into yesterday some, as he was still perturbed, and looking for a fight. I wouldn't jump from my busy task of folding laundry, to do what he wanted, and I just told him I wasn't his maid, and go do it himself, to which he gladly threw out the hateful " I can't live..." stuff again, to which I again sent him to his room, and alerted her. After she corrected his behavior, I again got the usual butt crawling, about why didn't you just do it. Which led to us disagreeing, and that had me down and out, as I shouldnt be expected to try and deflect the rage of a child into flowers, and bunny rabbits. I'm a strait shooter, and don't mince words. Anyway, so it was already compounded, when the 16 year old comes in and asks if I got his thing that was out in the back yard. I said "you mean the makeshift pot pipe that the youngest grabbed off the windowsill this morning, made of aluminum foil, yeah I trashed it". And he asked me why I wasn't watching him, and I got rather irate, about that, because it had no place inside or out, and I don't care if he still had pot crumbs in it, anything in his reach he will go for. Then proceeded to ask me where all the lighters went, and I told him he last time I saw mine (I smoke cigarettes) was the night before when he was outside and it was by my smokes. He is notorious for collecting, and subsequently loosing lighters. And said he could use my zippo, but when he walked back in, it was to come back to my hand, as I've had that for over half his life and it's not going to disappear. To which he spewed some crap, right in front of his mother, and threw my lighter in the floor. Then she proceeded to jump down my throat, because I didn't sweet talk him. How do I get her to see that I have had my limit, that she is going to have to get some control on this stuff. Or have I answered my own question, in the process of asking it. And need to load up and go. We are extremely financially dependent on each other, I am awaiting disability, and help keep the kids at bay so she can work, so doing so would ruin her and her kids financially, and land me living, god knows where as I can't work, and have no income.
A very difficult situation, for all involved, and I ran across this site through google searching and found the "I hate her son and myself for it" post, and found some of the advice to be sound. So tell me folks what can I do.

herewegoagain's picture

First thing is, "YOU ARE ONE BRAVE MAN!" Second..."if she allows her kids to disrespect her, she will allow them to disrespect YOU." So, don't be surprised that she does nothing to get them to respect you. Sounds horrible, doesn't it? But that's the way it is. Disney Dads expect SMOMS to be DISNEY SMOMS...lazy parents who do not correct their children, expect their spouses to do exactly the same. Heck, I am not talking just from the SMOM viewpoint, I am telling you from the viewpoint of just being a MOM!

My DH is too nice...doesn't believe in reprimanding kids, especially in front of others...I now understand it is because his mother did VERY LITTLE, oops, actually, NO PARENTING with him...he thinks that's ok. What did he end up with? A preggo 16yr old loser daughter who is still in 9th grade! Guess what? He was the same with our son. I am the one who puts order in this house, I am the one who expects more of my son. Even our neighbors will say to him "your wife does all the parenting". What did I have to do? I finally told my DH "if YOU do not parent OUR son, if you do not demand that he not talk back to me, do what he is told to do, etc...I AM GETTING THE HECK OUT OF THE HOUSE WITH OUR SON!" I will NOT end up with a son like your pathetic daughter because you want to be the nice guy and not make the kid feel bad or parent them. That's what you did with your pathetic daughter who has NO RESPECT for you, tells you to F#$%#$% OFF on facebook and you still talked to her. My DH told me..."do NOT give ME ultimatums or threaten me"...to which I replied "it is NOT a threat...it's a threat ONLY if I don't follow through...it is a FAIR WARNING of what WILL happen if you don't start stepping up and being a parent..." He has turned around in the last few months thanks to this...and ANYTIME I see him slipping, I immediately call him on it. Everyday he does much better and our son has benefited greatly...

So, you need to talk to your wife and do something similar...believe me, if she does not, these kids will disrespect you the rest of your life...they will NOT turn around unless your wife begins to be an actual parent...

Good luck...and welcome!

Sevenofthem's picture

Thank you both, I am weighing options, but I'm hoping for some ray of light. After my ex left me, when I couldn't work any more and we couldn't keep the lights on, I bounced around a little while with friends, until she took me in, and I love her so infinitely, and completely, that I can't imagine life without her. But as the train wreck approaches, sometimes I question my sanity for sitting on the tracks...

melissascheland's picture

Well sweetie if you know you cant handle the situtation then my suggestion is leave her and her kids and let her deal with them cause you don't have to deal with them cause you have enough problems of hyour own and you do have a place to go to if you just ask . i hope you know that. i got two step kids and one of them is with me right now but he ain't that bad but he is spoiled .plus i got one of my own and he is a hand full! just stay strong and keep your head high.

Antgod's picture

People are who they are , and most likely wont change. I've been with my gf for 7 yrs and have a SD who is 17 yrs and she has been raised with little discipline from her mother. We have went to therapy ,sat down as a group to try and work it out ,nothing has worked. You can try a disengage ,but it only works for so long if the SK live with you. Seven SK is a lot to deal with and little to no discipline would make it unbearable .What I've done in the past is gage the parenting styles of me and the gf im with and if the styles are too different it was aways better to end it early when children are involved before any one gets to attached ,where it makes it difficult for you two to go your separate ways.