You are here

how are we friends with SD after disengaging? do we even want to?

dalhia's picture

i see that there are many of us in the same situation. we already disengaged so we are not acting ..or trying to act as mothers for this children (usually SD's in the teen years). we stopped the taking care of them, educating them and disciplining them. our SO are taking over some of those tasks ..hopefully. and then what?? ???
is kind of like the first time that we really shown our family how we can really follow thru with what we say, after all the ignored screams for help "im done with this", and the "enough of taking care of this girl by myself", or the " you need to be here with your daughter more", or the " i think she is really asking for your attention, not mine"....it all sounds familiar , right?. well after ALL that and the ultimatums of "this needs to change or I walk", or the " im exhausted, feel frustrated and unappreciated", the “I cant stand this disrespect” …. after all that...you disengaged. Great ...you now feel lighter, more true to your real feeling for the girl in question. your hubby has to pick up the pieces, he is not too happy but he does an ok job ,the SD is looking like "fuck, she really did it" and there you are wondering how your family will go on like this. in my case, when I disengaged , i really disengaged and since I was such a control freak and in charge of everything is very clear when i don’t do it. now, that i have disengaged and im not mothering this child i realize that i want nothing to do with her, period...this thing that we hear about "go do your nails together" or "be friends" is simply not possible for me. It is -in my opinion- a bit schizophrenic to be the mother of a child (my biosons 8 and 10) and the "friend" of this other child (my SD13) in the same house, it gets weird...the theory of disengaging while maintaining a friendly loving relationship does not work very well in practice. once i took the distance, there is no way in hell im reaching out to her. there is only so much my heart can take…there is too much negativity and bad stuff once you get closer. Any advice on what to do with my own feelings? any success stories to share? How do you live I nthe same house with a teen that you don’t trust, or even like for years?
For now im spending lots of time by myself, my dogs are walking a lot these days and my biokids are getting more of my attention since im not spending my days trying to make SD better. My SO is great and working hard..we ll see. Wish me luck

rgsmom's picture

I think you are taking the best route you can. That's all you can do. Prayer is always good if you are that kind of person. Remember, these are kids and teens we are talking about. It is hard enough being a kid with parents who are together and actually parent as they should. Throw blended families and parents who are lacking and that is a certain recipe for disaster. Most of these kids just need consistency and love - lots of love - It is a lot harder said than done, but that's the world many of us step parents live in these days. Good luck - concentrate on your bios and perhaps SD will come around on her own time ?

wicked witch 32's picture

Thank you for writing this, I was trying to understand my feelings. Like yours I don't want to even be in the same house with my two SD. I can't stand them and if for some reason I have to talk to them about anything my heart starts to just beat out of my chest. I have said all you said, I am done, I can't take this any more, I am walking out if this does not change. I am a control freak like you are as well, I know this is going to be hard, especially since the holidays are coming up, but with the disrespect and rudeness these two give me. I don't want to do anything for them for Christmas. It is so bad that even with two kids of my own I did not want to do anything for Christmas, ie decorate... Just because I don't want to give that to the two SD. And how do you deal? How does this end in the long run? IF you find out will you let me know? Smile

dalhia's picture

hey wicked witch 32 (i like your name!)...these are really hard feelings to deal with. i consider myself a very loving woman, I'm a caring person and i believe in the good in people but my heart also jumps out of my chest when SD disrespects or tries to manipulate my DH. letting go is a lot harder than what it sounds..it sounds almost like a romantic thing..."just let go" yeah, easy for you to say, you did not invest hours and hours and money ,and tears and sweat in this girl. ANYWAY...you asked me how to deal?, the only way is letting go Smile

...do not deprive your own kids from great family times but measure how much energy you "put out" towards your SD's...i want to give everybody in my household some smiles, some happy times for X-mas but im not making extra efforts for her, that i know. what happens in the long run? i have no idea....hopefully, what happends is that we as mothers can enjoy our children, that we as wives can enjoy our husbands and that these SD's get all their needs meet by their bio parents and they have a happy life. i know that i will not put my heart and soul on that. have you read the famous disengagment essay? that helped me a lot at the beginning of the process. here is the link http://www.steptogether.org/disengaging.html
stay in touch!