You are here

Gifts for BF from Skids paid for by BM...appropriate?

Optimistic Soon to Be Step Mom's picture

Last year for his birthday the skids gave him some pajama pants of his favorite team. Skids are under 10 so of course BM paid for it. Also, for Christmas they gave him a Cologne gift set--not a cheap one either. I think he thought this would bother me b/c he didn't put it under the tree and hid it in his closet instead. Of course I noticed it.

I just wanted some opinions on this, is this appropriate??? The oldest skid (10) wants dad to help him buy his mother a small gift for her upcoming birthday...and now that Xmas is around the corner...is this gift exchanging appropriate???? It kind of bothers me, maybe if she was a nice person, but she's not (to put it kindly) and he already pays enough in child support etc.!

Opinions??

stormabruin's picture

I think if the kids are involved in choosing the gift it's appropriate. Him hiding the cologne in the closet...I'd feel like he was putting more behind that gift than I'd be comfortable with. If it's being presented from the kids, why hide it?

DH's kids used to give him gifts. Obviously, BM paid for them (which was evident by the Dollar Tree stickers on them) but the kids picked them out & they were always very excited & pleased with themselves when he opened them. In their minds, they were gifts from them.

natural7680's picture

I think if it makes you uncomfortable to buy gifts for her, maybe you guys can help the SKids make cards for her. They can even be creative and paint a mug or something that you already have-or they can make a cpicture for her and use an old frame already at the house to frame it with. You wont feel as bad b/c they got their BM a gift and you didnt stop them-and u didnt have to really pay for it:) (been there-I don't celbrate Christmas,but the Skids and BM do)

confusedsm03's picture

I think it's totally appropriate. How else would young children be able to provide gifts for their parents? My daughter usually makes gifts for her father but I wouldn't deny her money if she wanted to purchase one. Being with the parent on their birthday or xmas or whatever it may be, without a gift, makes the child feel bad. I know this bc it has happened before with my DD. I'm sure your DH or the BM is NOT doing it bc they want to make the other adult happy, they are doing this for the children.

Optimistic Soon to Be Step Mom's picture

Thanks for the input, especially the part about the children feeling bad if they don't have a gift to give, I guess I didn't see it that way before Dirol

ThatGirl's picture

When my boys were really little, I'd help them make homemade gifts for their father. As they grew and wanted to shop at the Christmas store at school, I'd present them with the big change jar and help them roll change for their spending money. When they were even older, I'd have them do chores to earn the money to buy gift for their father. I wanted them to learn to give as well as receive, and also the importance of earning/spending money to do just that. They were always very proud of the things they made or purchased for him, knowing that they were able to do it on their own.

Skids, on the other hand? Every once in a while they say, "Dad, give $40 so I can buy Mom a present." Pretty sure she never sees whatever it is they purchase with his money.

Still Have Hope's picture

DH took skids shopping for a small Christmas gift (under $5) for their BM when they were little. Her birthday never fell anywhere close to visitation so we didn't worry about that.

smileygirl's picture

Yes, I think it's okay as long as they are not clearly gifts from her (of a personal nature). We have the same gift exchange it seems most of the people on here do. We had a few instance where the gifts were clearly from BM not the kids but DH thanked them, then threw them out after they left and advised BM that it was inappropriate. I usually allow DH to enjoy the cheap tackly little trinkets or ugly cloths the kids got him by putting them proudly on display for him for a few weeks and then I pack them away or pitch them depending on what they are. Not out of spite but because as someone else mentioned they are cheap dollar store dust collectors.

* I would be concerned about him hiding the gift from you because as mentioned earlier that does read something into the gift and I don't find hiding things from your wife to be okay at all.

Zoie's picture

Sorry to be the one to say... NO FREAKING WAY IS DH BUYING ANYTHING FOR BM.. sorry but that's just how I feel. Listen DH is no longer with BM and yes the kids want to give a Christmas gift to their parents..they can make a card or do a craft..but no way are we buying anything for that woman..

Most kids get a little allowance for chores so they can use that money to buy something if they want..if not they can make something...

Just my humble opinion.. Z

natural7680's picture

TY for that! my hubby feels the same way-can u blve the first month I was here, I wanted to go to lunch with his ex/BM and get to knnow her,since I was gonna have her kids so much??? I tht we could be like Bruce Willis and Ashton Kutcher,lol-I even bought her some handmade soaps and sent them by way of the SKids. She probly spat on soaps and threw them out or something. My husband said it was stupid for me to do that and now I blve him. I was just trying to be nice but I dont think I could ever be that nice to her again-after everything:(

smileygirl's picture

Oh, and as a side note...someone else mentioned helping with homemade gifts for the kids. I do this and it bothered me the first time...until I saw the incredible look of disgust on BM's face when SS's told her that Smileygirl had helped them make this for her. She was so angery that now I do it every mother's day.

the_stepmonster's picture

I wouldn't want anything that woman touched being given to my DH. He is lucky I let his kids over. That being said, if your concern is that the children want to be able to give dad a gift for Christmas, Fathers Day, etc., then I would suggest you go out and take them. That way when their mother tries to take them, they can say "Oh Optimistic already took us." I feel like when she gives the kids something to take to our house, it's her way of inserting herself into our life. She once gave them a frozen pizza to bring to our house. Sorry BM, we actually cook real meals at our house and don't need your $0.99 Totino's.

natural7680's picture

I love it "we actually cook real meals at our house" yeah my hubby's BM specializes in CHef boyardee's canned pastas and beefaroni. Explaining to the skids why their weekends with us involve eating vegetables is annoying. They didnt even want to eat the REAL macaroni and cheese I made for them last year.Or the pizza their dad and I made a couple of months ago. "Oh we only eat it out of the box." What kind of mother is she???? Can she please teach her kids the importance of good nutritiona and a balanced meal??? Oh yeah I forgot-I havent pushed any kids out of my vjay so I'm "not on her parenting level".

ThatGirl's picture

A pizza? LOL pretty weird. Even more weird, my ex's GF sent vacuum cleaner bags over with my boys once, said they didn't fit hers and wondered if they fit mine. I asked, is she trying to insinuate that I need to clean? The boys said No, she found them in the pantry and wanted to know who dad had in his house to clean!!!

ThatGirl's picture

Yeah, she was crazy jealous. The boys also told me about a time she found a woman's belt that wasn't hers. She flipped out and socked their Dad in the eye, then drove past my house and threw it out in the yard. Turns out it was actually my son's.

Elizabeth's picture

"I wouldn't want anything that woman touched being given to my DH. He is lucky I let his kids over." Ha ha ha!

One time SD's grandma sent a package of hot dogs to our house. Long story short, SD then about 11 ate almost an entire 10-pack of hot dogs for after-school snack in TWO DAYS. I found the half-eaten package after the first day and "hid" them in the fridge but SD found them and there were only two remaining when I pulled them out to make dinner that night. So I made one for me and one for BD1 and told SD she was going to have to find her own dinner since she'd eaten what I planned to make.

SD ran to mommy and grandma and told them I refused to feed her dinner. Whole story about the hot dogs came out and instead of reprimanding SD for being a little pig, grandma bought her a package of hot dogs to give to me to "get back at me." Um, whatever. And, they were the cheap 99 cent kind that I do NOT buy and would not feed to a dog. I sent them back to grandma the next time SD went for visitation.

BSgoinon's picture

We don't buy gifts for BM and DH doesn't accept gifts that she purchased. I take SS shopping for his dad, and BM's family can take him shopping for her. BM once made DH a blanket when SS was about 2 years old. It was creepy thinking that she took the time to sit around and make him a blanket for christmas. SS wasn't old enough to have suggested it or asked her to do it. It was strange, uncomfortable and DH was not nice about it. He handed it right back to her (SS didn't even HAND him the gift, BM did...) he told her "If you think I am putting a blanket that YOU made on OUR bed, you are nuts. Don't do crap like this. It is out of line". Since then, NO GIFTS are exchanged.

ALTHOUGH, 2 years ago, she musta bumped her head and forgot, on Fathers Day she "helped SS pick out a gift" from the dollar store. She wrapped it and SS gave it to him with a balloon. This all after SS and I had already gone shopping and got him a super nice gift HE wrapped it, and made a card. After DH opened the gift from BM at home with SS (as to not hurt his feelings or upset him), DH texted BM and told her "we have had this conversation in the past, no need to purchase or make gifts for me, I have a wife that takes care of those things, you know that". She threw a fit and cursed and yelled. But it never happened again.

BSgoinon's picture

Oh... and the dollar store gift has since disappeared. Whooppsss, did I knock that into the TRASH CAN, my bad. }:) However DH uses the Keurig Coffee maker that SS and I got him every single day.... Wink

natural7680's picture

LOL!!!

hismineandours's picture

No we have never done gifts for bm or vice versa. I assume that bm's flava helped ss with a gift at their house if need be. When ss was younger I helped him with gift giving for dh. I did send bm a christmas card one time-it was of ss along with my 3 children. I did it to be a smart ass-I'm not going to lie-ss told me that she put it up on her fridge-which I acutually thought was really nice and I felt a millisecond of shame.

purpledaisies's picture

Sorry but i feel that they are no longer married and there is NO reason for gifts to be exchanged! It is up to your dh's WIFE to take the kids shopping for their dad If it is that much of an issue!

It is also up to someone in the bm's family weather her dh or whom ever to take the kids shopping for her! Period! No way in hell would I sit by and let that happen! NOPE!

I know they say it is for the kids and all but if people are so concerned with that they take them yourself so that bm is not involved! Then tell bm that she can have someone take them shopping for her on her side she has plenty of people to do for her! Tell her to take the Money she would have spent of your dh and give it to the kids to buy for her!

forever2's picture

Skid is 12 and gets an absurd amount of allowance for all of that nothing that he does around the house. He could buy everyone a car for the holidays if he wanted to. Anyway, fiance loves everything skid does. I swear he would frame his turds if he could. Fiance cries, I kid you not, when skid gets him a cheesy Hallmark card, as if the kid wrote it himself. He won't even throw away those cheap plastic "dad of the year" trophies after they break. He keeps a bag of the broken parts on his desk, as if BM didn't buy them at the 50cent store. I think kids should express themself and make gifts, it means so much more, reflects their effort, and their developmental stage etc. Anyway, our skid making something? God no, that would require effort. Gift giving for skid is dragging him out to the store to demand that he chose cards for the grandparents, Mothers day, Christmas etc. Most of the time fiance ends up choosing the card, sooo heartfelt. Here's a great story, last Christmas, skid gave fiance this boardgame, one of those Monopoly spin-offs, with a topic my fiance really loved. Fiance's eyes lit up, you could see his heart swell with pride that his little thoughtful genius would recongize his hobby and interest and purchase such an amazing gift. After moments of awestruck silence, fiance says to skid..."Where did you get such a wonderful idea and such a wonderful gift?" The skid gives his slacker shoulder shrug and says, "BM found it." Silence. Oh, it was priceless. He will never realize he wastes his time hoping for anything resembling thoughtfulness to come from that boy....