Finances

sam44's picture

Hello

I'm new here. I have three kids and my partner (not married yet but been together for 5 years) has two kids who live with BM.

We are always fighting over finances and vacations and it occurred to me today that our personal circumstances have been changing ever since we got together and we tend to react to those and design new rules on an ad hoc basis. It's always off the cuff. I realized that we had never actually sat down and thrashed out some really firm ground rules or tried to resolve some of the more profound differences of opinion we have about how we should do things with respect to the kids. And we are about to move in together again after a time of being separated due to work issues, 100 miles apart. The trouble is, before I sit down to do this kind of heavy talk, I need to have my own ideas clear…I know there will be a little bit of a fight because there always is when we talk kids or money…and I don't actually even have my own ideas very clear. Well, I have some ideas very clear but I'm not really sure they're "right" and what the correct way to view these things should be.

So I thought I would pick people's brains about what they thought was morally, legally right and what actually WORKS. So here's my story…..

My kids live with me (soon to be us). I work full time. BF pays monthly maintenance and sees the kids regularly. No problems there, although I earn more and pay for any extras myself because BF can't pay any more. He pays the right amount legally and helps out whenever he can. His parents often help out since they are comfortable. We have a good relationship. I work very hard (too hard) in a stressful job but it's relatively well paid. I feel like my kids suffer because of this. I am the breadwinner, so there is no way I can work less. I'd love to be there more for them but everyone depends on me financially and it's just not an option.

My partner works full time but does not earn a lot. He gives 50% of his salary to BM. He currently has his 2 kids every other weekend and two evenings during the week (it's not far off 50% of the time), though he feels he doesn't have them enough and BM is always complaining that she can't cope. BM does not work. She worked briefly last year but she has never shown any interest in moving on with her life in a serious way. She has no other income and she doesn't even bother to apply for state benefits, which she would be entitled to, although not much. It bothers me a lot that BM spends money that should be dedicated to her kids, on herself. My partner says that, as long as his kids aren't going hungry, it's not up to him to dictate what she spends the money on. Legally, he doesn't have to pay her any maintenance, just for the kids. But then he complains that his kids don't have enough and he expects us to pay for all the extras for them.

I recently suggested that we start saving money for the kids' future. I suggested that he would have to take away a little bit of the money he gives to her for the kids, to save it, and that we would match that amount, so that everyone is contributing. He said that I would have to save the same amount for my kids and no more. He didn't want me to save more for my kids. He doesn't feel it's fair that my kids should have more in life just because his kids' mom doesn't work. It's not that I want his kids to suffer for their mom's laziness but I work so hard and I feel that my kids have never had the benefit of a stay-at-home mom and, since I contribute 3 times more to the family 'pot' than my partner and my kids' BF contributes too, he should not dictate how much I put aside for my kids as long as it comes out of my overtime. He doesn't see this. He sees that we are a family with five kids and they should all get the same but I say that first of all I (we) have custody of my kids and they live with us and second, my kids have two professional parents and will always get a little more in life for that. It would have been that way if my partner and I had never met, so I don't see why my kids should now be forced to have less just because my partner and BM don't have as much. I have always made it clear to him that I won't see his kids going without. The essentials we will always find but extras like vacations and savings are not our sole responsibility when it comes to his kids. He has to share that with BM. I am happy to contribute but I shouldn't then be dictated to about what I put aside for my own kids.

On one hand I feel very selfish thinking that because I earn more, I get more or my kids get more. It's not a very good basis to a relationship but there is a very real situation of inequality here where three people in the equation (me, partner and my kids' BF) all work really hard and one person is just lazing around. And I worked so hard to get my professional qualifications and my kids and I have made so many sacrifices to get to where we are now. And to be honest, we still find it hard to make ends meet and we don't even live the high life.

I find it hard to see us as a family with five kids. That implies that when it's just my partner, me and my kids, that two people are missing (or missing OUT, as he often puts it) but I don't see it that way…they live with their mom. They are not missing out. We are a household with three kids and when his kids are with us, there are five kids. My kids don't have a right to demand whatever his kids get from BM or her family. But it seems like I can't buy my kids anything without him expecting that I should buy it for his kids too. Vacations?…Don't even go there. He feels like we should not go on vacation without his kids because he feels too guilty leaving them behind. But they don't live with us. I feel I should have the right to take my kids on vacation. We don't have the money to take five kids…and frankly, it would not be a vacation because it would be so stressful. But why should my kids miss out? His kids miss out because their BM doesn't work and I do understand why my partner would feel very bad about that and want to make up for that. But she is always complaining (and then my partner, in turn, complains to me) that his kids don't have stuff like an iPad and my kids do. But she could go and get a job and then they might have those things! I actually don't have the money to buy my kids any of those things but my family helps me out a lot.

Oh I don't know. All I know is that I want for us to make a fresh start and to clarify how things should be between us in the future with regard to the kids and money. Any advice is welcome. How much am I responsible for paying for stuff for his kids? We have a joint bank account, so I am aware that I should probably not see it as "mine" and "his" but when he already dedicates 50% of his salary to his kids then feeds them on average three days a week, pays all the gas to pick them up, I feel resentful when he asks for more, when I feel like it's not OK for me to spend money on my own kids without it being questioned.

How do other people manage their finances and savings and extras with respect to blended families when some of the kids don't live in the family home? Am I even a blended family or are we a step family?

Please help!

Thank you

Sam. x

ta5's picture

Your not going to like my answer...if u intend on merging you can not hold out. Merge means just that and it. Includes money! How selfish of you to not want equal for your new family. You don't have the mind set it should not be my kids get this bcuz I make more. Savings comes after everything else is equally taken care of. Think if it were reversed what if he were theprovider and you hardly worked or didn't work or just say he made more mula. Wouldn't u feel slighted if he took care of his kids and barely provided for yours. Hmmm partner that is no team. 5 kids get all the same one big happy money pool stop the selfishness or don't move in let alone marry him. One family one money pool. I don't work my husband provides for all of us equally my two kids and his one. Were a family no favorites. Its not fair otherwise and so divided. Do or dont

sixteensmom's picture

I'm in a similar situation. I make more money than dh. My ex and I made about the same when we divorced and we decided no alimony and no ca. We shared all kid expenses and just took care of them. Dh Has paid alimony and insane cs for twelve years. Plus a third of all college costs. Bm works part time and get fired every chance she can. He has paid for health insurance for his kids when the cs was calculated as if she was paying. In addition, he buys all the extras...winter boots, coats, sports equip, fees, s hool supplies, and we pay all vet bills for the doff we haven't seen in five years...

Say I bring in say 300k and don't pay out for any kids.
He brings in say 100k and 40k goes to bm and kids

We keep all finances separate. We share household bills fifty fifty. I pay my cc and car, he pays his cc and car and any loans he has from before me. I pay for most of our extras but i will no longer pay for his kids to join or participate in outtings, vacations, etc. I paid for his kids to attend their grandfathers funeral and never got so much as a thank you from the 21, 24 and 28 year old socially inept children. My savings is mine and I use it as I please. When my kids graduated from college I gave them some cash as a gift. Not my fault he was ordered to pay his. When my kids bought their first house, I help with a down payment. Not my fault his are assholes who won't speak to us.

Also, our kids are verrrryyy different. His won't lift a finger to help, won't bring anything to a dinner, don't call or text or send a card for fathers day or his birthday. They lived here married rent free for seven months and took advantage of every kindness I had left...at age 26 mind you. And picked fights with my 19 yo college student with two full time jobs who did pay rent and her own bills... My kids come help chop wood for the fireplace, mow, send cards, gifts, are thoughtful and considerate. They love dh and his family and they are loved back.

Dhs family barely know skids...they don't even try to visit their grandparents or aunts and uncles or cousins on dhs side.... But they go to bms fam regularly.

Weve been on vacations without his kids. Its fun with just mine. No stress. No drama.

If by chance I pass away first, Dh will keep houses and household items and have a trust to live on but my kids get the bulk of my estate.
Because his are such assholes now, I am his beneficiary, I get everything of his. I may pass along some family items to grand children someday, because it's the right thing to do but they've mostly written us off because bm is truly the most evil manipulative wench in the universe. Her own family thinks so.

I do make sure at Christmas all kids have the same number and value of packages. My kids know to give me ideas early so I can shop on sale and they get more stuff. His kids don't tell us til Xmas eve and it's not my fault if they get a $50 pillow and the rest of their gifts are junk since we didn't shop on sale.

Plus now that I have a step grandson, my daughters husbands little boy, I don't care what any of the adults get. Skid 21 couldn't stop glaring at this little boy as he opened his gifts.

I don't think all kids should have the same toys or electronics. And I don't think it's fair for his kids to have two families buying things for his kids when your kids only have one.

christinen's picture

If DH and BM want better for their kids, it's up to them to get a job (BM) or get a better paying job (DH). Sorry but each one of those kids has 2 parents. It's not your fault or your kid's fault that the skids got the shitty end of the mother stick. I would not hold back on what I want to contribute to my kid's future (or even what I buy for my kids in the present) just because another kid's mother can't do the same. Screw that. I work too hard for that bs and it sounds like you do too!

sam44's picture

Thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it. I feel so lost and he has a way of getting angry and accusing me of not caring about his kids and "not caring if they starve while mine go to private school (because I work there and it's free!!!") Blah blah. In the end, he wears me down and I cave in. The threat is always the same. If you don't like what I contribute to my kids, get out of the relationship because I will never see them go without. He actually said to me two days ago: "If at some stage in the future I find I can't pay for my kids' education because I'm with you, don't doubt for a minute that I will do whatever it takes to give my kids what I deserve, even if it means I have to sacrifice this relationship so I can afford more for my kids". He then tried to backtrack when he saw my face : O. But he still said it.

amber3902's picture

"If at some stage in the future I find I can't pay for my kids' education because I'm with you, don't doubt for a minute that I will do whatever it takes to give my kids what I deserve, even if it means I have to sacrifice this relationship so I can afford more for my kids".

:jawdrop:

Sam - my jaw literally dropped when I read this. How the F*CK does he think being with you will keep him from being able to afford his kid's education?

Based on your other post http://www.steptalk.org/node/138525 - he contributes to your rent even though ya'll don't live together, yet he fails to understand that he is living rent free in your aunt's home and you contribute THREE times more than he does to the family pot. He fails to understand that he hasn't been carrying you, you've been carrying him!

I think he is just viewing you as more of a paycheck than a relationship. I'd separate my finances RIGHT NOW. Sounds like he is using you and is trying to guilt you into thinking it's the other way around.

Craving Normality's picture

I don't understand how he could possibly think being with you would mean he could afford less for his children. That's odd. Obviously he is better off in a double income home.

We have a his (3 of them - 2 mothers), mine (2 of them) and ours (1) situation. My SO pays out child support to 2 different women, he has not too much left. We keep accounts totally separate but I have access to his to withdraw his share to cover household expenses - mortgage, electricity food etc. He pays for his car and fuel and childrens entertainemnt out of what he has left,which honestly, there is not much left.

I earn more and do not have money going out to two different households. I save and have taken SO, our son and my daughter on 2 holidays without his 3 children. I could not have afforded to go if I took all 3 of his, 2 are over 12 and considered adults when flying on a plane and staying in hotels. They are your usual rude entitled skids and I feel no need to spend my hard earned money taking them on expensive holidays. If they were even a little bit helpful I might want to contribute a little to their vacations but they are not so I will not.

My father bought my daughter an Ipad for Christmas year before last. His kids still have not let up. The oldest child of his got one from her mothers side of the family for Christmas last year. Now the 2 to the one mother don't have one but continually carry on about how unfair it is. They always carry on about the unfairness. These kids have been on a cruise earlier this year that took them to 3 new countries they have never been to, have ipods, computer games etc. They are not missing out but continuously compare themselves with our household. They want everything they have, and think they deserve everything that any of my children have as well. I find it kind of sick really, and my SO's family all seem to agree with these kids, that they should have everything that anyone in either household has. Regardless of what their own father can afford. Apparently I am meant to supplement SO's income???? Wierd.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Um no. You are not responsible to provide anything for his kids. Make that Very clear!!