You are here

A few questions I'm having a hard time with...help please!

confusedsm11's picture

Soo Father's Day is right around the corner. I have found 2 projects that DS and DD are going to make for DH and already have a gift idea for him too. SS doesn't know how to keep a secret yet so to have him craft something, it would have to be the day before at the earliest and he won't be here. I'm just curious if it is my responsibility as DW to find something for SS4 to give him? SS usually brings a craft from school. Is that sufficient? annnnd

My mother has invited DD, DS and me for a 3 day vacation to the beach. She has a friend who has a small condo and she sounded super excited about spending this time with us. Well, DH was less than thrilled in general about the idea. My mother told me today the dates and it would actually be a weekend that SS is here. I personally think that would be great. DH and SS can spend a weekend together and I can spend hte weekend with DS and DD. Does anyone else go away with family and not include SS and DH? I know DH is going to give me crap about it even though in every other sense my mom does treat SS4 like a grandson...I think she just knows that I could use a break from this house and DH and SS lol...should I go and deal with the crap from DH or just stay home?

briarmommy's picture

I feel like I shoudn't be responsible for my ss fathers day gift but I helped him make something anyway because I was going to be getting something from my daughter for him and I didn't want him to feel left out and it to backfire on me, but if your ss made something at school I wouldn't bother doing anything, my ss isn't in school anymore but if he was and did something I would think that would suffice.

Go on the trip just you, your kids, and your mom....he needs to put on his big boy pants and get over it. Tell him you need some time with your mother and kids and it would be good for him to get some alone time with his son. Take your kids and go, you are a grown woman you don't need your husbands permission to go and he needs to step up and be able to spend the weekend alone with his kid.

Holly's picture

I think a craft from school is fine for father's day at his age, as he gets older he will be able to do projects like your kids.

And I think you should go on your mini break with your mom. My DH and I occasionally do separate things with our kids - be it movies or dinners with grandparents or even twice - a vacation.

If your DH complains, tell him that your mom has seen how tired you are and kindly offered you a break - and from the goodness of your heart you decided to take your kids rather than leave them all with him for the weekend, but if he would prefer to have all three kids, you'll happily go alone with your mom..... don't worry, he won't go for it....

Go and enjoy your kids, you deserve it.

caregiver1127's picture

Go on the trip with your mother and enjoy yourself and let your DH have his SS for the weekend - it is good every now and again to let your DH know how much you do for SS and how life would suck if you were not there - taking care of a 4 year old is not easy and I am sure that you do most of the work when he comes to stay with you!!

Auteur's picture

In the early years, I used to go all out. Had the skids present biodad with a scrapbook project that I bought the materials for and orchestrated.

I'm sure word of that got back to the Behemoth (BM) and she was NOT pleased. She just ramped up her PAS campaign. Five years into the deal, she had the oldest two PAS out at ages 9 and 11.

Six years later the youngest PASed out just before turning 7.

marissamae88's picture

My SO lets the kids make the crafts at school for mothers day he didnt go out and buy me anything to give to me from them just their crafts. My SO did get me flowers though from him. SO its all about what you want and what you feel comfortable giving. I also think you should go on the mini break and give ss and is dad a mini break. Moments alone with your parent are priceless.

Still Have Hope's picture

Go! Time away is precious. I take DD on girl weekends with me. Never took the skids. When DD is at camp this summer, I plan to take DS to all the sci-fi adventure movies that DD hates. Over spring break I took my bios to visit my aunt and left DH and the skids home to spend time together. Everyone benefits from this arrangement. I have never included skids in trips to visit my family, first of all, thanks to CS we never had enough money to buy them an airline ticket. Secondly, it was my time to spend with my parents and sisters. I say it is not only fair but essential.

sweetthing's picture

A couple of months ago BS4 & I went alone to my parents for a weekend & left DH home alone & it was awesome. I have never done it before. BS & I had a great time, I got to sleep in while my parents watched him, we got to do whatever we wanted w/o having to make sure DH or skids were entertained, and Dh ( skids were with BM) got to have some alone time. Best part was DH really really missed us & was very happy to see us when we finally made it home.

confusedsm11's picture

Well, I mentioned it againt to my DH and gave him the dates of the trip. He then replied with "wow, out of town on my birthday"...well, now I'm in the doghouse for not remembering that was his bday! Sheesh, I feel like a jerk Sad