You are here

Feeling a bit like a Third Wheel...

ItsDifficult's picture

To start with, I'm sorry this is so long...

We have been married for a bit under a year, the third marriage for each of us. She has 2 children, 11 and 13, and I have 3, 11, 15, 18, all living at home. Her eldest has some learning issues. My children spend one week with me, and one week with their mom (close by), alternating weeks, including weekends. Her children are with us virtually 24/7, with a few breaks when her ex decides he can have the kids over, and my kids are at their mom’s (she doesn’t see a reason to send her kids to their dad’s if my kids are at home with me).

We live in a reasonably large house, and when she moved in she felt that her kids, who are apparently very sensitive to noise, needed a place of their own where they could retreat if the noise in the house got too disturbing. To that end, we refinished the basement with beautiful flooring, a bedroom and a living space, complete with widescreen TV. Her children can go there whenever they are “overstimulated” by the noise/chaos that my kids, who are your average intermittently combative siblings, tend to create (She says it causes them physical pain when people raise their voices). My children are not allowed to enter this space for any reason (that’s been a bit hard for them because they grew up in the house). My children have their own bedrooms in the upstairs, where her children are not allowed. The main floor is used by all.
She has the same noise issue as her kids, and since I have a room that is “my space” (a fairly good size room that, unfortunately, my kids have invaded so it is not strictly “mine”), she requested that our bedroom be her getaway zone, and that when she needs quiet that I refrain from entering. If she needs space after a quarrel, she reserves the right to lock the door to the bedroom (which has a key lock) until she feels ready to allow me in.

My issue is really the amount and quality of time that my wife and I get to spend together. Because of her son’s learning issues, she needs to work on his homework with him every night. Again, he’s almost 14. In order to escape any noise, she begins working with him in their downstairs area when she gets home from work (at approximately 6pm). I have returned home usually by 5 and clean the kitchen, and begin to prepare dinner. Once dinner is ready, she and her kids come up from working downstairs, fix plates for themselves, and return downstairs. My wife continues to help her son with her homework until it is complete, after which he usually wants her to watch him play video games, which she usually does. I use that time to clean the kitchen, and spend time with my children if it’s my week with them. Once it is their bedtime (about 9:30pm), she tucks them in, and then comes up. Unfortunately, 9:30 is her bedtime as well, because she gets up early for work each morning and is not a night owl. She kisses me goodnight, and heads up, and I usually go up with her (though she often tells me I “don’t have to”). We get in bed, and she often talks about how it went with the homework, may discuss errands she has to do the next day, and she’s asleep in 10 minutes. Sometimes we get a chance to just talk about things in general, not too often. I should mention that she has fibromyalgia, so while we are talking I’m usually massaging her back, arms, and neck until she’s asleep. On weeknights, there’s no time or energy for lovemaking, and mornings she’s up at the crack of dawn, preparing her kid’s breakfast and getting them ready for school.

When I tell my wife I miss seeing her during the week, and talking/snuggling /making love with her in the evenings, she says “Well, you can see me when I’m coming up for bed”. I often respond with something like, “well, yes, but you’re only awake for 10 minutes or so”. Her response is generally pretty testy, “Well, that’s 10 minutes every night with just you, why not be happy that we have time together instead of being negative?”

My wife’s ex is supposed to have the kids each weekend, but that rarely happens. Often he’s working 2nd shift on Saturday, and even when he does decide to have the kids over and is free, my wife’s eldest, who doesn’t like going to his Dad’s, manages to guilt her into letting him stay in our much more substantial house (his Dad lives in a small apartment). Of course, that means my wife feels she needs to spend time with him, because his brother DOES go to his dad’s, leaving him without someone to hang out with….so much for our alone time.

I have asked my wife to make arrangements so that we can have regular alone time together, but she usually says “Oh, come on, even if we spent 6 days straight together alone, that wouldn’t be enough for you. Why can’t you be positive?” I try to be. However, when the kids are with her, even during times when she IS up and spending time with me, her eldest is always nearly glued to her side, asking her to look at one iPod game or other, and frequently asking her when she’ll be able to spend time with him, watch him play games, etc. Her youngest is generally playing and/or roughhousing with my kids. Sometimes she tells me that she wants to be helping me, and so she’ll help me prepare dinner on a weekend. We’ll often have dinner and a movie. Unfortunately, though I want to sit next to her on the couch and share popcorn, once I get to the couch after cleaning up the kitchen, her kids are sitting one on either side of her, and I can’t seem to get near her. When I say “Hey, where can I sit?”, she offers me the end of the couch or the floor. On weekends, her kids have no bedtime, so they are quite frequently around her.

I admit, I seem to be more in need of alone time with her than she is with me. I do understand that I’m more of a “relationshippy” person than she is. I try to give her time with her kids, and I take time with mine. I’m totally in love with her, and she says she is with me. Her fibromyalgia causes her to be very tired and in pain a lot of the time, but when she has a good day, she tries to spend that time with the kids. I’ve asked her if we could work toward spending 15 hours/week of alone time (even just hanging out in our room) together, as is recommended in the book “Love Busters”, but she thinks this is absurd, and suggested we try to shoot for 5 hours/week of “just us” time if we can. I’ve suggested counseling to try to work on that sort of issue; she thinks it’s a good idea for ME.

Just need to vent. I’m working on getting used to this way of life, I simply don’t see her much unless there are errands to run, no kid issues, and the stars align. When we do make love it is wonderful…and I’m all about making love….I ‘m the guy who NEVER says no (most guys, huh?). With her bedtime schedule and fibro, it’s all up to when she feels she has the time. She doesn’t go out of her way to arrange time for us even on weekends her ex could have the kids…it’s hard sometimes. Has anyone experienced this? It seems I’m beginning to resent her kids, most notably her oldest (14). I don’t want to, and I really like her youngest. I intend to work hard to deal with these feelings in order for us to continue to do well; I sure could use some advice!

hismineandours's picture

This is a totally messed up situation. It like she is retaining her own family-her and her two kids and you have a separate one and you are just sharing the same space. This is not an ideal ituation for anyone. I'm not sure what her son' learning issues are-but at 14 she should be encouraging him to have some independence if she ever expects him to live independently. I w
ould take this tactic with her-that you care about him so much and want him to be able to do as much as he's able.

As far as the time alone-I would wait til her kids are gone and then take her to a b and b for the night. There will be no distractions that way. I would encourage her to give you at least a date night every couple of weeks. Hopefully she will enjoy these and see the value of them herself-although I would also question whether she has some intimacy/sexual issues that are making her keep you at arms length,

ItsDifficult's picture

His learning issue is ADD/Dyslexia. We have tried to do date nites, and it has worked in the past, but with the new onset of fibro she's not been really up to it.

ItsDifficult's picture

His learning issue is ADD/Dyslexia. We have tried to do date nites, and it has worked in the past, but with the new onset of fibro she's not been really up to it.

Madam Hedgehog's picture

you say you're trying to get use to this way of life . . . don't. unless you want to get use to being unhappy. ???.

i don't want to sound harsh, but it sounds like your wife is taking you for granted. big time. you cook dinner. you clean. you massage her to sleep. i'm sure you help out in a hundred other ways you are not mentioning. you actually barred your own children out of a HUGE section of the house that they grew up in to make life easier for your wife and her children. there are probably other issues you are not mentioning, but just from this post it sounds like you are bending over backwards to make your wife and her children happy.

and instead of giving back to you, she is giving everything she has to her kids.

from your description, it sounds like she has guilty mommy syndrome. she feels bad for her kids because their original family unit was broken, and now she is out to make it up to them no matter what it costs her (or you).

this isn't fair to you or your kids. whether she knows it or not, your wife seems to be taking advantage of your commitment to the relationship. i am especially bothered by her unwillingness to go to counseling with you. you are obviously unhappy with the way things are going right now, and she should care enough about your feelings to see a counselor with you and work things out. i suspect she knows the counselor will side with you and she will be pressured to make changes that she doesn't want to make.

obviously, you can't force her. what you can do is give her a taste of her own medicine. if she isn't giving to you or your kids, if she is spenidng every ounce of her energy on her children and herself . . . then do the same thing. you might even tell her beforehand. make dinner . . . for your kids and yourself. bar her kids from a huge section of the house and make it the play zone for your own. let her go to bed by herself and by YOURSELF a massage chair.

i guarantee you she will not enjoy being treated the same way she is treating you.

also, what the heck is going on with this whole NOISE issue? Do her kids have their own bedrooms? If so, there is no reason they can't retreat to their bedrooms instead of having an entire basement to themselves. That just seems like overkill to me. Or they could go outside for Pete's sake. Giving them an entire basement does not seem fair to your children at all. If your wife is convinced there is a "real" noise issue, then you should all go to the doctor and get their ears evaluated.

The option I'd take, actually, is to make the basement the noise room. Any kid who gets to loud or too rough has to go to the basement/playroom. The rest of the house should be reserved for more relaxed behavior. That way your wife can't hide in the basement, your kids don't feel cheated, and your stepkids will have to deal with their noise problem in a more constructive way.

Additionally, she should not be locking you out of the bedroom. That is complete and utter disrespect to you as a spouse and as a parent in the household. If she needs real alone time that bad, she should either talk to you about it first or lock herself in one of the bathrooms.

ItsDifficult's picture

Thanks for all of your great input. I do go to counseling separately and she's been a few times with me, but she feels like I gang up on her there. I do agree about your assessment of a counselor's opinion on the need for her to change. Counseling is, however, great for me in this case.

The basement issue is difficult, because we built a bedroom in the basement for her kids, and now one uses the bedroom as his, and the older one has his bed in the larger part of the basement so they can each have their own space. I did think this bedroom separation was fair since MY kids have their own rooms. I do agree that she has Guilty Mommy syndrome....and this is the first time she's been married to someone who makes almost 5 times her salary, so she may feel strange about that.

The noise issue is a bit odd, I'll admit, but she insists that her kids are "sensitive", and the noise causes emotional pain and they just shut down.

When we argue, after a very few words, she shuts down and retreats to the bedroom...she has some emotional abuse issues from a previous marriage that seem very real, and having a locked room gives her a feeling of control and safety, I think.

my.kids.mom's picture

I just replied below and then saw this post. It is clear that she has emotional abuse issues, hence the way she is keeping the kids between you and her. She needs to see her own counselor, without you. I am a lot like your wife, and if she can't get control of the issues herself, she needs help. I've been there, done that. The difference in life is amazing.

my.kids.mom's picture

Regarding all the protective barriers she has set up for her and her kids, that is the least of your concern. As someone with all the fibromyalgia symptoms, I can tell you that the noise control is necessary to her, and probably her kids, and if not in place, things would likely be much worse. Some people need a calm environment for a great part of their day. Having dealt with fatigue and fibro symptoms, I can tell you that this is VERY important to staying sane, as well as controlling pain (which, I'm sorry, it's all in the head- caused by anxiety or stress).

That said, she is using her children to keep you at a distance, which IS the concern. She does need counseling. What she is doing is not okay with you, and will not be fulfilling for her. So left alone, it will all fall apart. There isn't much more to say. You need to find some way to convince her to go to counseling. Not just for you, but for her and her kids.

herewegoagain's picture

If her child has some disabilities, and I have to tell you, it sounds like auditory processing disorder, it could very well be that it is indeed painful for them to be in such a loud place. I also believe much of that is hereditary, so I do believe your wife has learned to deal with it a bit better because of her age, but it still drives her nuts. Believe me, my son is like that and so am I.

Now, I understand she is not spending much time with you, etc...I get that. But instead of complaining about her not spending enough time with you, why don't you "teach your kids to behave like normal people instead of allowing them to be so loud?" It sounds as if you make an excuse for them as "normal kid behavior", but then expect her kids who truly do have issues to "deal with it". And then, blame your wife for not having time for you?

ItsDifficult's picture

I have been doing just that for a long time...and they do behave like "normal people", just normal 11 and 15 year olds, and and 18 year old. They are not particularly loud, but they do like to laugh and have fun, and sometimes it's too much. I'm sympathetic to my wife's fibro in the extreme, and work pretty hard to make sure she has a quiet environment. I'm not blaming her. I do respect the fact that her kids are sensitive to noise, everyone's different, and I try to accommodate all 7.