You are here

Ex-Wife Blues

stepmom_on_edge's picture

I'm a newlywed just this past October. I have gained a wonderful husband and 3 stepchildren. And a Ex wife problem. My issue from the beginning of our relationship was that I thought that she was the one who was putting things in the children heads to get them to dislike me and not listen to me. Sorry his children ages are 12, 14 and 17, we are talking about the mother of the 12 and 14 yr old. His 14 yr old son lives with us. The daughter lives with her mom about 2 mile away from us. They have been divorced for 5 years at her request because she was tired of him(from what she told her son), but all things changed as our wedding day approached. She then would call my husband to say how sorry she was for letting him go. (You know a bad case of I don't want your a**, but I don't want no one else to have you). Her charm did not work of course because we are married now, but there are other things she do. Example: trying to come up in my house, the woman has no reason to come inside,call when you are on your way or when you are sitting in the drive way. And just last night she called to tell her son that her boyfriend was coming to get him so be ready, and the son asked can she call when he was outside and her reply was,"Baby please don't make me call back there to talk to her, I do not want to talk to her(meaning me)." What kind of mess is that? You have to be respectful of eachother in order that things work out for the good on the children, for the good of the family. So she called today to talk about her son to my husband and he was not here, and I was very short with her telling her to call my husband on his cell phone and leave a message. I mean I won't dare want her to talk to me, that would just kill her.

Was I wrong for cutting her off? To be angry? The kids look at me like I got two heads when I ask them to do something, they barely answer me when I call them, and talk to me in a general conversation, please, that is just too much work for them. She is encouraging this by consistly saying to them "I'm Your Mother". My goodness they know who gave birth to them. But to children, preteens and teenagers they hear I got a mom already, you are not my mom, I don't have to listen to her she is not my mom. Do you think I'm right or over reacting?

I'm ready to get revenge on this woman, my husband says kill her by being nice, but that is only killing me. I mean enough is enough how much can a woman take?

Help me ladies before my blood pressure start to rise.

Persephone's picture

I am 1 1/2 yrs into this. What I have found works is to smile smile and smile. The BM used to walk into our home with out knocking--you should have seen her face when I smiled and said , Nice to see you, in the future please ring the bell!! When she comes in to to get the kids I ask her all kinds of questions or make comments.. (idle chit chat that requires a response) I love to watch her squirm!! Oh and her new live in boyfriend... (she has had 6 in 5 yrs--not kidding) well when he first met DH & I you would think we each had 3 heads by his reaction. Ahhh but when we had a party over here for the skids and invited them.. I soooo went out the way to make them at home and even flirted with her boyfriend. (DH knew what I was up to) Now that they are getting married you would not belive how much her BF sticks up for DH & I... It's SWEET. Patience my dear.. what goes around comes around.

Anonymous's picture

thank you for the comment I'm going to try to smile if I can. She just better not walk into my house anymore. I think that somethings should not take place and that is one of them. I'm going to work on putting her smart comments in the past and look forward to a brighter future, only hoping that her comments don't affect the way that my step children treat me (yeah right). But I'm willing to try.

Anonymous's picture

Thank you so much. I'm really having a hard time dealing with this lady. I have done nothing wrong to deserve this type of treatment, but I guess it comes with the job of being stepmom. I'm really hoping that we can come to some kind of understanding before our 12 year olds graduate 8th grade because they go to the same school and will graduate in the same class. I'm really trying to be understanding for my husband. He is a great man and I know that this is pulling him in two directions. I'm going to really have to pray for God's help on this one. But thanks for helping me understand the other side.

SMOE

Need some advice.'s picture

I'm 34 years old and divorced and had two step kids. Didn't work out. Now I have meet someone new that I love very deeply and we are on the track of living together. We do now but my all my stuff isn't there yet. His has three kids, 21,15,13. All nice as they can be. Nicer than I thought they would be since I'm the first they have seen their dad with other than their BM. I have no kids of my own. So here is the problem. I understand that the ex and dad have to stay on good terms. But how far does that go? I work two jobs as of right now. Trying to get out of debt. She comes over to picks up or drops off the kids everyday since she works down the street. BM lives with a new BF and she has had several. She has a crimanal record for stealing from her employers. But seems to be a loving mom. So I kinda don't trust her. When she comes to pick up the kids she comes into the my BFs house when i'm at work. It's makes me uncomfortable. Should it. Or am I being immature. Remember I have no children. She has never done anything to me personally and never tries to turn the kids against me. But their relationship makes me uncomfortable. She stills gives him furniture she doesn't want that she doesn't need.. I don't know. They divorced for a reason. But why does it still make me upset.

Bonus Wife's picture

Janice you hit the nail on the head...Ladies: Please take her advice! We may get divorced because of the lies my DH is telling me to protect his ex...and what's sad is if he had he originally told me in the beginning he was friends with her...nothing she did would have flipped me out as it did. It wouldn't have mattered. I met DH's ex, she's very nice... and I have a great relationship with my ex too! I just told hubby yesterday...he is the one making me hate the ex by HIS behavior about everything. AS soon as he stops lying, and covering up lies, i know I'll be able to hear all the B.S. the ex does and not "react" as crazily. HE won't even give me the opportunity anymore. Good Luck. PS I still wouldn't like the fact that she DOES cross boundaries but then he would have been on MY side...not hers...and that's where he is right now. On as Fearless puts it: Holy St. Ex'es side. Today sucks.

tyra's picture

That is exactly how I felt this week. My blow up last year..that has the ex so pissed off...was because of all the mean and hateful things she did to him. He would tell me (and I witnessed some of it) and it would add fuel to this fire until I exploded.

If he had only spoke about her in a good manner we wouldn't be here today...where I am questioning our relationship.

He is nice to her and I have become the evil one. She thinks I am so threatened by her...no wonder...he plays nicey nice with her and I am the devil spewing evils at her.

I will have to set one boundary however in our house. She is only to contact him through email or on his cell. I will not have her calling this house and dissing me for 2 hours ever again. Since he doesn't seem (right now) to have the strength or is in a position (fighting for 50% custody) to stop her then I have no choice, for my own sanity and our relationship and our family sake.

I never wanted it to be this way but for right now it is the way it will be. Things may change if all are willing to make it change.

mdomi011's picture

I have been on both sides of the battlefield. I was wife #2 but got along very very well with W#1. Me and Amy became really good friends and never let anything that happened between them in their marriage ever affect me and her. They could not even be in the same room with each let alone speak to each other without all hell breaking loose; so the fact that me and her became friends made things work for us. We both had "their" daughters’ best interest at heart and wanted nothing but the best for her.

I kept telling both of them that they need to be mature adults and learn how to deal with each, as SD was old enough to see and comprehend what was going on; and that it would best for her to be able to see her Mommy and Daddy being civil and getting along versus him yelling at her every chance he got. He would never listen to her, just blow up and start cussing at her. I would be the one to call her back to find out what happened and between the two of us figured out a solution. I finally stepped out of the middle and told them that they would have to now deal directly with each as I was bowing out (thinking that this would make them “get it” and atleast be civil to one another). Boy was I wrong, he has not seen his daughter since (that was 2004).

We separated in September 2005 for numerous reasons and were going to counseling to try and save our marriage. In October, he met someone else (wife #3). I found out about her from a friend of his, yet he continued to deny her to me. By this time I knew the marriage was over and it was time to move on. He finally in December admitted his relationship with her and we talked about how to handle our divorce. Note all this time we had been separated he continued to help me with the kids (the 16 year old is mine from a previous relationship and we have a 3 year old together). He would take my oldest to school and pick her up and come over to the apartment and get the little one ready and drop her off at daycare. We were Military so we got a housing allowance of $959, which he would give me every month. We filed for divorce in January 2006 and then all hell broke loose. I started getting emails and when I would call him she would answer his cell and we would yell back and forth.

I dislike this woman, like I have never disliked another, not because she is with him, but because she has butted in to something that was none of her concern. If me and my ex got into an argument and I hurt his feelings (I am a very straight forward person and do not candy coat anything for anyone, I tell it like it is) she would call and go off about how I hurt him and what I said to him etc. I would start off rather nicely/semi sarcastically that whatever issues that me and him have regarding our daughter or our marriage were between me and him and to please stay out of it. She went on to inform me that she is his “girlfriend” and anything that has to do with him is HER business! Well, as you can probably assume, I disagreed with that one. So it went on back and forth, then she started spying on me at work, trying to find out things about my oldest daughter. It was like she had to know everything about me. I realize now that she was insecure and all, but all of this was too extreme for me. I brought up my concerns with him as well as his parents when they would call, but he never saw anything wrong with it and blamed me for everything.

Our divorce was final March 2006 and they were married in November 2006, as I have said even to her, If he is happy, then I am happy for him, even if it is her that is making him happy. I have a problem with her forcing my daughter to call her Mommy and repeatedly telling her that her daughter is her sister. She goes out and when people compliment my daughter (she is very beautiful) she says that she is the mother (and that the baby looks like her father). She criticizes me as a mother, but I let her know that “part-time Mommy’s” don’t get to criticize “full-time Mommy’s) (as her daughter stays with her parents four times out of the week). I am divorced from this man yet seem to fight more now than we ever did when we were married.

All I want is what is best for our daughter; it has been hard enough for her learning how to adjust with Daddy gone from the home. This woman talks bad about me in front of her and she runs home to tell me the mean things that “M” said about Mommy. My little one asked me if I liked “M” and I said “No, Mommy does not like her right now.” And she said “but I like her”. I then explained to her that it is okay for her to like her, Mommy is not upset that she does (she is close to her and her daughter). She interrogates my little one when she is over there asking all sorts of questions about me. My little one is so innocent she just spills the beans (bless her heart). So W#3 comes to me saying that I am jealous of how my daughter feels for her and her daughter and no matter what I can’t take that away etc. First off, I can’t control who my daughter has feelings for. I am just thankful that he is with a person who is nice and treats my child good, because I am sure there are people out there who would not.

I just want everyone to try to get along because as we are all bickering back and forth trying to make each other miserable, it is actually our children that we are hurting the most.

Mich

Bonus Wife's picture

I'm sorry you are in that boat too. Let's try to take it One Day AT A Time....Hugs!