You are here

Drama of the Day: ADHD meds!

GodHelpME's picture

(Sorry this may be long.)

So, this morning my SD lost her mind after I reminded her to take her ADHD medication. She’s 12 and should imho take her meds without being reminded. She then lied and said her mom said she didn’t have to take them. I told her to call her mom in front of me. Of course, mom taught her in her lie and told her to take her meds! WTH? Why lie over something so small?
So, she starting stomping, crying, rolling her eyes all because she didn’t want to take the same meds she’s been taking for upteen years! SERIOUSLY? Am I missing something?
Not only that she refused to speak to me for the rest of the am until I dropped her off to school. I even told her have a good day, to no reply.

So, I told DH that we will take away all her electronics: tv, pc, kindle, phone, etc. These kids are given so much and I’m NOT going to be disrespected in my house! I’m glad to say that both BM and DH are being supportive. Let’s see how long this lasts…

Any other disciplining options? :?
I think I may make her write lines too:
I will honor and respect my parents and stepparents.

Thoughts…

Anon2009's picture

I think it'd be better to have her write, "I will treat my stepparents with respect." I think she'd take to it better without the "honor" part.

christag's picture

Stopping ADHD medications abruptly can cause really bad rebound affects in some kids. There's a trend with ADHD kids to give them holidays from the pills but that can be a really horrible idea when they've had their brains flooded with all these stimulants for so long and then it all of a sudden stops. Perhaps she needs to talk to the doc prescribing the meds, she's old enough to understand how the drugs work and how she needs to take them responsibly. Maybe there's a new side effect or the medication isn't working the way it's suppose to. Always good things to speak to the doctor about.

My son has ADHD. The tween years are tough. Kids don't want to be the different one with ADHD. It's important they have good routine where they get in the habit of taking their medication at the same time everyday. My son benefited more from counseling and an ADHD coach than the medication itself.

GodHelpME's picture

Thank you so much! My SD just came to live with us a month ago. I know nothing about this disease and I'm with you that she should take it regularly if that's what the doc and parents decided. From talking to BM, I don't think she has consistently monitored her taking or not taking the meds. SD is very moody. I spoke to a friend of mine (an adult with ADHD) and confirmed that may be a side effect.
Dad is against the drugs but has not gone to the ADHD doctor's appointments. I told him he needs to go.

I'll let BM and DH know about conseling and the possibility of a coach. That's great advice! Wink

Ommy's picture

why does a 12 year old have tv, pc, kindle, phone, etc let alone a 12 year old with ADHD?!?!?! that is part of the problem electronic can make things worse they over stimulate brain activity and have to be limited. Give her a basketball, volleyball, something healthy to get her active and get her frustration out.

Roxyrow's picture

My bs did that at 12 he told me he wanted to grow. He heard from other kids it stunts your growth. I scheduled an apt and doctor said if he stays on a strict schedule he could be off meds..so 3 years later no mess..his grades aren't the best and hes unorganized but hes a well behaved typical teenage boy. Now that bs did it ss13 wants to stop his may not be good for him though. He says meds make him feel funny.Anyway good luck bs teachers said other kids have said the same so it may be a peer thing.