You are here

Disengaging not working so far

counseling.advocate's picture

So I decided last week that I was going to disengage and stop disciplining the SD's 11 and 8, and we discussed it in counseling on Friday and DH seemed to be ok with it and him taking on the role more aggressively. He agreed that I would let him know what their behavior was like and he would have to discipline them. However he was home the last two days and DS8 drove me nuts and he is not holding up his end of the deal.

When I stuck them in their room for fighting one day when they were fighting constantly, I do have to admit, he really laid into them. I told them they weren't to come out until they talked it out, apologized to each other and I even gave advice on how to do it and they didn't listen. They just screamed at each other in there and were still in there when he came in on his lunch and he really handled it well and I think it was because he knew that I wasn't already harsh with them.

However yesterday, SD8 was annoying as hell. Fighting with everyone, being rude, not doing as told always, making these annoying noises/voices (like impressions) over and over again, and we took them all shopping with us for our camping trip and I told her how to behave in the store and she didn't listen. She wandered, touched everything, played hide and seek, etc. And I would control DS7 in the store but he didn't jump on his kids enough all day or in the store. It drives me crazy.

I pulled him into our room as I was serving dinner as she made that last fucking annoying voice she makes and I said "SD is driving me up the fucking wall. All day she's been out of control and you've punished her one time only giving her a math page to work on?"

He cut me off right away and said "is this how it's going to be?! You're just going to bring me back here for a meeting for me to punish them for something and I have to just lay into them?!"

I'm like "this is the first time I've done this and you are already sick of it?!? We agreed that this is how it's going to be and you are backing out! Wtf!"

Etc etc you get how it went.

I demand respect!!!!!!!!

AllySkoo's picture

"So I decided last week that I was going to disengage and stop disciplining the SD's"

I think that might be your issue - disengagement doesn't just mean you don't discipline. It means, on a basic level, that you don't care. It means that if you're going shopping without DH that his kids don't come with you, he needs to find a babysitter or watch them himself. If you're together at the store, and SD8 is wandering around touching things? So what? No skin off your nose, she's not your kid, any more than a random stranger's child doing the same thing would be your responsibility. (I'm hoping you wouldn't approach the random stranger and tell her to discipline her kid, although some people would!) She's doing some annoying noise? Tell DH "That noise is making me nuts, I'm going to watch TV in the bedroom, it's now your job to get dinner together."

By disengaging on discipline, you've basically made things EASIER for your DH. He doesn't have to parent AND he doesn't have to listen to YOU parent! Win win! The problem is that you've got to make things harder for him - you need to not parent AT ALL and force him to either step up or admit he needs help.

misSTEP's picture

Practice saying, "She's my HUSBAND'S child." if strangers give you the stink eye in public.

Lmao not that simple. BM doesn't want the kids on her days and we are NOT paying for day care. Can't afford it. Unemployed! I hate summer. They need to be back in school!!!!!

Ugh I know but I can't disengage completely and my therapist said I won't be happy if I do. It will also hurt my marriage.

I can only do it in regard to discipline, which is my biggest issue. Their behavior and DH's lack of punishing them. So that's what I'm trying to do.

It drives me crazy to see them get away with stuff though! Omg I can't stand it! I'm here disciplining my son, who doesn't need it very much and I'm worried he will think I'm not being fair. Also I can't bring another baby into this family one day with these crazy girls who don't listen and DH doesn't punish right!

He just a low key easy going guy, so he can tolerate a lot of crazyness or block it out if they are his kids or something. But as soon as it inconveniences him at all, that's when he gets upset and steps in.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

}:) My skids are older than yours, I have a SD19 and a SDstb13. I disengaged on 7/7 after the YSD went bonkers on me due to the onset of puberty. I just STOPPED doing anything and everything as best I could. DH was just out of town for a few days and I didn't make one single meal for these kids. The milk hasn't been touched in the fridge and they are living off of snack foods, etc.

The hardest part for me is NOT caring. I feel like I am supposed to DO things for them. DH has been asking me to cook dinner for two days, and last night I was too tired and said no. Today he was already texting me, asking for his favorite meal. I will cook and the rest of them can clean tonight.

Yes, it's very difficult to do, because unless you are beyond pissed at the skids it's hard to turn off the instinct to be a mom/housewife/caregiver. I told DH on 7/7 that I was "done," and I had had enough of the laziness and disrespect. I cook one time a week and other than that, I take care of things for me, my pets and my DH. NOT including his kids.

Why do you think I have time to post here lol?

I am lucky in that DH is trying to be supportive. He's coming around and has had to deal with his kids on his own. It may be tough for you, but you have to get your water from the kitchen or whatever, keep your eyes down, whisper a mantra in your head over and over while your SD makes annoying noises.....and get the hell up to your room. Put in earbuds or earplugs. Listen to music and surf the net.

You should not do anything at all. If the house catches on fire, your nose works, you'll smell it and you can get everyone out in time.

You can do this. Give it a try and shock them all. You just have to get into the MINDSET. }:) Pick a theme song lol.

Best of luck from your cheering section!

~ Moon

Oh god you are right! It is so hard not to care!! I DO care what kind of people they grow up to be! As much as I wanna kill em sometimes I carreeeeeee so much about them! Especially when they are good like you say...

It's not easy to disengage

Orange County Ca's picture

Read the article linked below. Do it, nobody is listening, not the kids and not the husband and NO no more kids. As for your son tell him that you care enough about him that you don't want him doing the stupid things he sees the others do. If he's younger you can use the "They're older" explanation.

http://steptogether.org/disengaging.html

DH and I just fought about why I won't take sd11 to the store right now but I will take ds7. I need to get stuff for camping and then go to toys r us for him to get some platform thingy for this wii game and need him but don't need sd and she will only ask for things. He claims no, if u give her the list, tell her this is all we are here to do then it should be ok but if you take him and not her then you will have problems and then you are on your own.

Always just throwing me to the wolves! Thanks for your support DH!!! U won't be getting any tonight.

DH and I just fought about why I won't take sd11 to the store right now but I will take ds7. I need to get stuff for camping and then go to toys r us for him to get some platform thingy for this wii game and need him but don't need sd and she will only ask for things. He claims no, if u give her the list, tell her this is all we are here to do then it should be ok but if you take him and not her then you will have problems and then you are on your own.

Always just throwing me to the wolves! Thanks for your support DH!!! U won't be getting any tonight.

hereiam's picture

but if you take him and not her then you will have problems and then you are on your own

What in the hell does that mean? You can certainly take your son with you and leave his daughter home for HIM to deal with.

You are definitely not disengaged but it sounds like you need to. If it upsets your husband it's because he does not want to parent his own children.

The thing is, if he would parent his children and teach them to be respectful, you wouldn't need to completely disengage. These DH's bring this on themselves.

I totally agree. 100%. And whenever I try to explain things like this he just makes up excuses and says we are so much different than any other step family situation and we are like a real family and the girls love me like I'm mom and blah blah blah fuck fuck fuck YOUUUU!! He makes me feel like a child, like my opinions don't matter.

I'm starting to really resent him. It's been going on a little while. It's up and down. One day he's on my side, the next he's not. It's tiring, but I'm sick of my opinions not being taken seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because I'm 25 and he's 38. However I'm an old 25, been through a hell of a lot more than him at a young age and overcame independently, no family to fall back on to take care of my son and I, just me.

Or that I have epilepsy. He wakes me up every morning if he works to give me my medicine and cares for me I rarely have a seizure.

I guess I'm saying all this because I wonder if he sees me as a child or something. He just doesn't value my opinion. I've even offered advice, he's been skeptical, but then if someone else also offers the same advice or whatever he then takes it seriously.

I just don't get it. I'm almost starting to feel the same feelings I felt the first time I got married. The... "Marriage ruins everything" feeling. Everything was great before, 10 months ago we got married but the 4 years prior he wasn't like this. He was on my side.

As far as counseling goes... I've thought about switching a couple times because sometimes I feel like it's just a place to openly communicate and I thought it was supposed to be more of a constructive environment where the counselor takes the lead on topics, not always letting me choose and talk. Sometimes I've talked so much that he hasn't been able to say much at all and I'm like, what's the point in that?!? I could call a friend to do that! Lol. But right now I can't switch because we have an arrangement... I'm not paying co-pays, he just charges the insurance company for more sessions to cover the cost because he knew I couldn't come in as frequent as he suggested because of money so eventually he said we could work it out this way so I didn't have to pay as many co-pays.... Then again I said I had to cut back more co-pays because of money so he said not to worry about co-pays anymore.
I don't think I can get that anywhere else LOL but he's really been helping me out a lot and my DH actually feels comfortable around him to open up honestly which is good. He also knows so much about me now, at this point it would really suck to have to start over with another therapist...

You're right, on everything in both posts in fact I should just start privately messaging you for advice lol. Wink

If this counselor doesn't make more progress with my marriage soon than just being a place where we can openly communicate then I'll look for one when I find a job. For sure.

And I'll tell him to stop giving me my medicine. I never asked him to! He just wanted to keep me from having seizures but I can take care of my fucking self. Lol

Lmfao!!!! SD11 and 8 accuse me of loving my bio more and it's true but it really affects them so it's a constant battle. I've talked about it on here a bit and so he wanted me to avoid a situation where she would think I was picking him over her. I said "it's simple. YOU tell HER she CANT go because YOU WANT to spend time with her and SD8." That way I don't have to be the bad guy once again."
He just doesn't get it. I explained that I'm home with them all day pulling teeth and ONE is good for me to take to the store. That's where I draw the line, I'm done!

OrangeUGlad's picture

I agree- this is not disengaging.

Disengaging is hard and takes practice. For the dh's learning to discipline and be responsible for your child when someone else has been holding the reins is hard and takes practice.

Some of it sounds like personality. Some kids make a lot of annoying noises. My ds(27 now!) was one of those kids. I had to learn to look at his behavior and decide "Is this behavior really a problem or is it just bothering me?" If it was something that was *really* a problem behavior, I addressed it. If it was something that was annoying me, but not harmful, I learned to ignore or remove myself from it/find a way he can do it without annoying me.

Back to disengaging. You might not ever learn to not care, but you have to learn to let go. It doesn't mean that instead of disciplining his kids, I will tell him how to discipline his kids and he will do it. It is more like... Together the parents set household rules that take everyone's development, personalities, and needs into consideration. And then each parent is responsible for making sure their kid is following those rules. And stays out of what the other child is doing and how that parent handles it.

Now, if the child is doing something specific that is interfering with something you are doing- it is fine to say "Dh, sd is playing with her cars in the kitchen and I need to cook." But you have to learn that it is okay if his way of dealing with that is going in himself and cleaning up the cars and giving sd a cookie.

Ideally, all the kids will have the same rules and consequences, but in reality it doesn't always work. Kids are different, parents are different, and histories are different. And different does not necessarily mean better or worse. And in the long run, those difference often don't make that much difference anyhow.

Ultimately- it is about everyone getting along and being comfortable in their home and ultimately each parent is only responsible for the outcomes for their own biokids.

Start small- with one or two rules that you both pretty much agree on. When that is going smoothly, add one or two more.

Give it time. Work on it in counseling.